Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Mileage on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about 20,500 miles on my two year old Model S, 90D, original tires, and was told that I'm in need of new tires pretty soon. I am not a hot-rodder and drive fairly conservatively, so I was surprised that my tire life is so low--only have about 3mm of tire tread on all my tires (I've had them rotated regularly). Is my experience quite normal? What have other Model S owners encountered? Also, what kind of replacement tires do others recommend?

I have about 20,500 miles on my two year old Model S, 90D, original tires, and was told that I'm in need of new tires pretty soon. I am not a hot-rodder and drive fairly conservatively, so I was surprised that my tire life is so low--only have about 3mm of tire tread on all my tires (I've had them rotated regularly). Is my experience quite normal? What have other Model S owners encountered? Also, what kind of replacement tires do others recommend?
Got 22k out of my OEM Goodyear’s myself. Pretty conserving driving- not very impressive. Replaced w Michelins and hoping for better...

I had the same type of mileage on the OEM Model S tires. They were dead at 20,000 miles or so. As I put on roughly 25+ thousand miles a year, this had to change. I switched to Michelins and my tire mileage doubled. I have no trouble driving down and up our 1500' hill every day, curves and all. I have four more tires in my garage as my tires on the S pass the 40K mark, 80,000 miles on the car. I recommend them.

I had the same type of mileage on the OEM Model S tires. They were dead at 20,000 miles or so. As I put on roughly 25+ thousand miles a year, this had to change. I switched to Michelins and my tire mileage doubled. I have no trouble driving down and up our 1500' hill every day, curves and all. I have four more tires in my garage as my tires on the S pass the 40K mark, 80,000 miles on the car. I recommend them.
Do you know offhand which Michelin's you got?

Got 22k out of my OEM Goodyear’s myself. Pretty conserving driving- not very impressive. Replaced w Michelins and hoping for better...

Same here. The original Goodyear tires on my '17 MS60 wore out in no time - forgot to rotate (partly due to lack of oil changes) and the two in the rear were done after only 12.5K miles. Mostly highway driving too.

I switched all 4 to Michelin Primacy MXM4 and rotate religiously every 6K miles. Now approaching 40K miles and should get many more with the Michelins.

IMO, to reduce cost, Tesla went with the less-expensive Goodyear option instead of staying with Michelins. Owners were left paying for that decision. Again, just my opinion on that.

Same here. The original Goodyear tires on my '17 MS60 wore out in no time - forgot to rotate (partly due to lack of oil changes) and the two in the rear were done after only 12.5K miles. Mostly highway driving too.

I switched all 4 to Michelin Primacy MXM4 and rotate religiously every 6K miles. Now approaching 40K miles and should get many more with the Michelins.

IMO, to reduce cost, Tesla went with the less-expensive Goodyear option instead of staying with Michelins. Owners were left paying for that decision. Again, just my opinion on that.
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
There have been many discussion about this. The responses are pretty diverse. Anything from 45k to less and 10k miles. I have 195k on my Model S so I went through many tires. I drive more on the conservative side in the city, but when driving long distance (which is 60% of my driving) I drive more on the fast side. My tires last 40k miles. I tried a few different brands and I keep coming back to the Michelin MXM4 which are recommended by Tesla.

There have been many discussion about this. The responses are pretty diverse. Anything from 45k to less and 10k miles. I have 195k on my Model S so I went through many tires. I drive more on the conservative side in the city, but when driving long distance (which is 60% of my driving) I drive more on the fast side. My tires last 40k miles. I tried a few different brands and I keep coming back to the Michelin MXM4 which are recommended by Tesla.
I had a hunch that this issue has been discussed before, but I could not find those threads, so I asked the question again. It sounds like Michelin's are the much preferred replacement tires.

2015 MS 85D. I am second owner, car was a demo for 1300 miles before first owner. OEM tires, Michelin Primacy. Rears went at 25k, fronts will go to about 30k. In case you missed it, Michelin has a tread wear warranty. I did not get tire paperwork with the car.
purchased new rear tires through tirerack for about 215 each.

It sounds like Michelin's are the much preferred replacement tires.

Throughout my life I have only had good experiences with Michelin tires on various vehicles including semis and motorcycles. When I worked for BMW during the development of the first X5, the test drivers where swearing by Michelin tires. The MXM4 are very good on my Model S. I think they have the best combination of longevity, low noise and grip. Now that doesn't mean it's the best tire in every aspect. You can definitely get performance tires that have more grip and thus a shorter stopping distance. But they will last maybe half or 1/3 of the Michelins. I want to mention that because the Model S (and X) is heavy and I have had a few situations where I had to slam the brakes. It takes a while to bring it to a stop. If safety is your priority, there are tires that buy you a few feet less of stopping distance.

Reactions: jerry33