Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Package From Tesla- Back Order or Just Terrible Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
First time post. I took delivery of a Long Range Raven Model X over the summer and love it. I ordered a winter tire package from the Tesla online store in mid-October, exactly 48 days ago. Given the significant amount of time that has elapsed, and no outreach whatsoever from Tesla regarding the status of my order, I inquired with the online store about when I can expect it to be delivered and/or if it is on back order. The initial response I received from the online store was to contact my local service center for an update, because the package is to be shipped there for installation. Here is the problem: No matter how often I call the Chicago service center, no matter how many messages I leave requesting a returned call with a simple status update, no calls are returned. It is abysmal service, and kind of freaks me out for if/when something actually goes wrong with the car. Any advice on how to get an update? Or, can anyone confirm that this is simply normal turnaround for this kind of purchase?
Related, I went to a Tesla retail store, which is near my home, and the rep there could not help me with this. He “messaged someone in service” who would be in touch. That was over a week ago.

no calls are returned

Unfortunately at some service centers this is “normal”. As non-intuitive as it seems, you can schedule a service appt in the app and in the notes say you are looking to have your online ordered winter tire set installed or the status of the shipment. Someone should take a look at the notes and get back with you. Other option is to show up in person at the service center to ask.

I ordered Mid October Model X 19" Package and installed Mid November.

Here is what I did. I scheduled a Mobile Service appt to install them at the 2 week mark for 1 week out. I really wanted to pickup but they would not allow that.

I put the Order number in the appointment message. Nice Mobile Tech called me that morning saying he can't find my wheels. I told him what I did and he was fine about it. He asked to push it out a week. The next week it was pushed out another week automatically with no call or notification. I called back the same Mobile Tech and he told me what happened and said sorry about that. The next week, got a call that morning asking if he could come by early :) That was at the 30 day mark from when ordering.

I think they show up in 2-3 weeks at SC and they batch mount them. I think scheduling an appt helped move my tires through the queue.

To schedule Mobile, choose "Other".

And the Mobile Tech left the wheels for me and did not install at my request.

Absolutely love the 19" package.

Likewise online shop was useless getting status on them.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the intel. I’ve booked an appointment via app, mobile service, first available on 12/9. Fingers crossed.

Don't be to upset if it gets bumped, but hopefully you'll get to talk to someone and get the real scoop.
It was great getting them delivered :) Didn't even have to pick them up.

Did you order 19"?

Update on this... booked via app as recommended above. Appointment is tomorrow. Tesla sent paperwork via email a couple days ago for me to docusign ahead of time. I arranged time away from work. And, much to my dismay, I just received a text from “Tesla Chicago” stating that “we almost have all the parts for your winter set, we are just waiting for a few more.” As a result, they’ve cancelled the appointment for tomorrow and “will reach out to you as soon as we have the parts onsite.”
So, I’m back to square one on this. It’s been almost two months since I ordered, and I still have absolutely no indication when the order will be fulfilled. For fun, I called my local Porsche dealer (my other car) and asked about turnaround time if I were to order a winter tire package. First off, I was able to talk to someone, which was super. And more notably, I was quoted “end of the week.” Amazing...

Closing the loop on this saga with a happy ending. The morning of my [cancelled] appointment, yesterday, I received subsequent text outreach from the Chicago service team indicating that “the last part of the set came in today” and I could come in at the original appointment time for installation. The swap took about two hours. Everyone was very friendly and professional. The new Elston location is much larger than Grand Ave., a good thing.
Moral of this story, from my perspective, is that so much goodwill could have been spared with simple, timely communication. And I didn’t get that here from the online store or the service center, despite repeated outreach via text, email, and telephone. Growing pains of a startup auto company, I guess.

Reactions: nikeykid