Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Replacement Suggestions for 22' Model X Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I did some searching of the forum and was unable to find a thread with solid suggestions based on owner experiences.

At almost 20K miles and 10 months of ownership I am needing to replace the tires on my 22' Model X Plaid with 22" Turbine Wheels. Technically only the rears are in need of replacement, but I just can't bring myself to only replace 2 of the tires and have them not match and I do not want to replace them with the stock tires, even if I could track a set down.

Front = 265/35/22
Rear = 285/35/22

I have been looking at the new Hankook iON evo AS SUV, but am afraid all the hype I am seeing is just marketing for features present on existing EV tires.

In an ideal world, I would love to find something a little quieter than the Continentals that come on it, that I might be able to squeeze out more than 20K miles on.

Because I opted for the 22: wheels, I know those are big asks, specially on the Model X Plain with its rear negative camber.

Has anyone had to do a tire replacement that they have put some miles on that they are happy with?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_2785.jpeg
    IMG_2785.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_2786.jpeg
    IMG_2786.jpeg
    611.6 KB · Views: 208
I'm running the Hankook ION EV AS on my Model S and my buddy is running on his Model X (we got them at the same time).

Best EV tires I've run yet, more efficient than any previous tires I've tried and by far the quietest.

Plenty of feedback in this thread;

I would be concerned with the speed rating given the Plaid however.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
In what world are people driving their SUV that fast?
were not talking about a normal suv hear. Were talking about a model x plaid with over 1000hp than out accelerates most super cars. and i'm not talking about 0-60mph here i'm talking about 60-150mph acceleration. I also have a model x plaid and also need new tires soon. The stock michelin tires are speed rated with the highest rating of Y which is 186mph+. I am interesting the the new hankook ev ion tires but the low speed ratting of V of only 149mph is a real big concern. This car traps 146mph in the 1/4 mile and before you hit the brakes your well over 150mph by then.

Whatever you get, don't get Continental DWS 06+. I got them for the 22XP and they're SUPER loud. Weird as I've had the DWS06 (non-plus version) on my 2016 X w/ 22" and they're super quiet. I'm thinking next set will be the OE plaid tires (even though they wear in 15k miles or so) or may Pirelli all season something something.
How about Michelin pilot all season 4? I’m thinking about buying these when my stock Pirelli wear out.

I just put the 22” Toyos from tire rack
To replace a blow out on front. Overall they don’t seem as sticky as the oem continentals. They are a bit better after 1000 miles and 3psi lower than recommended tire pressure

Whatever you get, don't get Continental DWS 06+. I got them for the 22XP and they're SUPER loud. Weird as I've had the DWS06 (non-plus version) on my 2016 X w/ 22" and they're super quiet. I'm thinking next set will be the OE plaid tires (even though they wear in 15k miles or so) or may Pirelli all season something something.
Yes... +1

They are loud. Next tire swap will go with something different.

were not talking about a normal suv hear. Were talking about a model x plaid with over 1000hp than out accelerates most super cars. and i'm not talking about 0-60mph here i'm talking about 60-150mph acceleration. I also have a model x plaid and also need new tires soon. The stock michelin tires are speed rated with the highest rating of Y which is 186mph+. I am interesting the the new hankook ev ion tires but the low speed ratting of V of only 149mph is a real big concern. This car traps 146mph in the 1/4 mile and before you hit the brakes your well over 150mph by then.
I'm right with you on this. I'm thinking I want an even quieter tire than the oem Conti Silents, but need more performance, since these high speed bursts you describe are coming around more often lately and I can't replace 'down'. But I also love to ski, so... I may be the perfect candidate for both a summer and an all season tire. But the quietness is supreme to me as well. I could care less how long they last.

Hoping to get some feedback from current Model X Plaid owners.

On order; Ultra Red MXP, Black/White int., and I'm back and forth on wheels (I prefer the "look" of the 22's vs 20's). I live in D.C., so I'm dealing with all seasons and weather conditions.

I'm interested in hearing from those that ordered their MXP with 22's and swapped out the summer tires for all-season Pirelli's (or similar) OR ordered 22's but also bought the 20" wheel/tire package and had them installed during winter months.

I've read the reviews and seen previous posts on the differences between the 22's and 20's but hoping to gain some insight on the above options, in order to help me nail down my game plan.

Any assistance, insight, and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hoping to get some feedback from current Model X Plaid owners.

On order; Ultra Red MXP, Black/White int., and I'm back and forth on wheels (I prefer the "look" of the 22's vs 20's). I live in D.C., so I'm dealing with all seasons and weather conditions.

I'm interested in hearing from those that ordered their MXP with 22's and swapped out the summer tires for all-season Pirelli's (or similar) OR ordered 22's but also bought the 20" wheel/tire package and had them installed during winter months.

I've read the reviews and seen previous posts on the differences between the 22's and 20's but hoping to gain some insight on the above options, in order to help me nail down my game plan.

Any assistance, insight, and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Moved to a different post.

what wheel size are you on? Please share feedback once you have them on. Thanks.
22s
Front
265 /35

Rear
285 /35

I'm currently around 350 miles. The tires have a particular noise that to me is extremely loud. it happens around 80% of the roads I drive on.
as TireRack reviews it "While it created some low to medium volume white noise" for me its Medium to High. the drive, feel, and grip is really good however I'm ready to take them back as they are just creating a noise in the cabin akain to 4 drums with white noise being transmitted from them into the cabin. I will try to record some examples.

I'm not quite sure what to exchange them with at this point. However I'd rather have the old tire's comfort and short lifespan than these tires drilling into my skull with their sound for 20k miles.

22s
Front
265 /35

Rear
285 /35

I'm currently around 350 miles. The tires have a particular noise that to me is extremely loud. it happens around 80% of the roads I drive on.
as TireRack reviews it "While it created some low to medium volume white noise" for me its Medium to High. the drive, feel, and grip is really good however I'm ready to take them back as they are just creating a noise in the cabin akain to 4 drums with white noise being transmitted from them into the cabin. I will try to record some examples.

I'm not quite sure what to exchange them with at this point. However I'd rather have the old tire's comfort and short lifespan than these tires drilling into my skull with their sound for 20k miles.
Very good feedback thanks for sharing. I’m wishing I stuck with my original tire even though it had short life. The contact sport 6 was about 80% quieter than my new DWS +. Next round I guess. For now riding in very low to accelerate wear 😜

Just following up here. I ended up taking the Pilot Sport 4S back after 500 miles. they were absolutely mind numbingly awful for noise. I swapped them for the the tire set shown below. Never again will I buy a set of tires without the Tesla designation or without PNCS. Since taking delivery of my X in 2022 I have had Trip 1 recording my average efficiency. Trip 2 was reset the day these tires went on. I have put 1100 miles on this set and my efficiency average has gone down by 30wh.

These tires are great, they excel in all categories. especially road noise, comfort, and handling for the plaid power.

1697467210889.png