Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire selection for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this has been covered before, but I can't find a current (2019) comprehensive thread on this discussion..

My wife's (late) 2017 Model X needs new tires. The OEM tires were Continental cross contact lx sport, but they only lasted 30,000 miles. So I'm looking for alternatives that will last longer. I've searched all over online and found most of the discussion focuses on these three models:

1. SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS
2. Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico with noise cancelling system
3. Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

Randomly, I can find other people using various tires, but not enough posts to see a consensus. For example, someone just posted in this forum about a new Mchelin SUV tire that sounds interesting, but no one appears to have tried it yet.

Assuming that all of these tires are more durable than those OEM tires, the main questions are: do they have the right load ratings? Are they quiet enough? How do they hold up for durability? How is traction in poor weather (rain/light snow)?

It would be cool if people could post their experiences here. And sure help me pick the next tire set for our MX.

My wife's tires sizes are 265/45R20 front and 275/45R20 rear.

Ben

I can only speak for the DWS06, but wet traction is excellent, dry is great but obviously subpar to a summer only tire and snow is excellent for an all-season tire, but obviously nowhere near a true snow tire.

Lasted longer than my OE Michelins, but that was still only 14k miles vs. 12k miles on the Michelin rears. Obviously if you got 30k out of the OE tires, you drive a lot differently than I do. Warranty on the DWS06 is 50k, halved for the rear staggered, so I got a pro-rated replacements.

Load rating is correct only with the 255/45R20 fronts, which matched my OE Michelins. 265/45R20 does not have the proper load rating, but there should not be an issue with you switching to the 255s.

I was also looking at getting Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires for my 2018 100D Model X. But I also have 265/45R20 front and 275/45R20 rear. As Krazaak said the 265s dont have the proper load rating they are rated SL while the 275s and 255s are rated XL. Can you install a 255mm wide tire on a 265mm wide rim?

I just got the Michelin CrossClimate SUV XL tires installed on my 2017 Model X 75D. So far they seem to be a good replacement for the original Continentals. Search this forum for previous mentions, and tirerack.com, where I ordered from, for other reviews.

So far they are a smidge quieter. I am not a very particular driver but they seem to handle fine. Haven’t had them long enough to comment on fuel efficiency.

Reactions: paulobear
I was also looking at getting Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires for my 2018 100D Model X. But I also have 265/45R20 front and 275/45R20 rear. As Krazaak said the 265s dont have the proper load rating they are rated SL while the 275s and 255s are rated XL. Can you install a 255mm wide tire on a 265mm wide rim?
The rims are actually the same width for the 255 or 265 fronts, the only thing that changed was which OE tire was used.

Krazak, thanks you. I hadn't realized that. 255 is actually a better width for a 255 rim according to this chart from Tyre equivalence: Car tyre tips - Pneus Online I think I will go with some Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires in 255/45R20 front and 275/45R20 rear for my new set.

Rim width Minimum tire width Ideal tire width Maximum tire width
9.0 Inches 235 mm 245 or 255 mm 265 mm
9.5 Inches 245 mm 255 or 265 mm 275 mm

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I apologize if this has been covered before, but I can't find a current (2019) comprehensive thread on this discussion..

My wife's (late) 2017 Model X needs new tires. The OEM tires were Continental cross contact lx sport, but they only lasted 30,000 miles.
It would be cool if people could post their experiences here. And sure help me pick the next tire set for our MX.
Ben
Our 2017 X100D has the OEM 'Continental cross contact lx sport' with 38K on them. I also had them on a 2016 P90DL Sig and had over 36K before deer incident.
I'm replacing them this Fall before winter. They are 4 to 5/32nd still (pict below)

I looked at many threads on this topic. Caution that some other tires will increase the Wh/Mile efficiency. As good as luck in weather, ride, and efficiency as I've had with the OEM on 2 Xs, I've come to the conclusion I'm going to get them again.
"Your mileage may vary"

px53qk7.jpg

Reactions: John in LB
I replaced my Sept 2017 100D Model X with Yokohama Geolandar X-CV tires. The ride is quieter and good value for the money I paid at discount tires.
I didn't see anything that is out of the normal - around 350Wh/mi at 65mph
Thanks you for the follow up. Just started looking at the specs. They show promise. UTQG: 520, Speed: W, Load: XL

sFcQ8jz.jpg

qhl3BiS.jpg

I just got the Michelin CrossClimate SUV XL tires installed on my 2017 Model X 75D. So far they seem to be a good replacement for the original Continentals. Search this forum for previous mentions, and tirerack.com, where I ordered from, for other reviews. So far they are a smidge quieter. I am not a very particular driver but they seem to handle fine. Haven’t had them long enough to comment on fuel efficiency.

Those popped up on my recent tirerack compatibility search as well. Very good specs.

0VdQKb0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KBaoBao

My wife's (late) 2017 Model X needs new tires. The OEM tires were Continental cross contact lx sport, but they only lasted 30,000 miles. So I'm looking for alternatives that will last longer. I've searched all over online and found most of the discussion focuses on these three models:

1. SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS
2. Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico with noise cancelling system
3. Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

Randomly, I can find other people using various tires, but not enough posts to see a consensus. For example, someone just posted in this forum about a new Mchelin SUV tire that sounds interesting, but no one appears to have tried it yet.

Assuming that all of these tires are more durable than those OEM tires, the main questions are: do they have the right load ratings? Are they quiet enough? How do they hold up for durability? How is traction in poor weather (rain/light snow)?

Ben

I guess you probably already made a decision by now, but for the record, we replaced original tires with your item 1 above. No more noise than original tires, more thread, and cost me about 25% less money. We like them so far (12,500 miles as of now).

I believe the Zero Asimmetrico that people mention might be the 22" tire (it isn't load rated in the 20" size and Tesla promises maximum towing rating with their 20" tires so I don't think they'd be using the 20" Asimmetricos). But either way, that model is more of a summer tire and gets only "fair" results on tirerack for winter performance even though it is marketed as all season.

The Scorpion Verde All Season Plus is probably most like the OE Continentals and a popular choice on here. Make sure all the words are present on the tires you get because one word gone and it is a different model that Pirelli does sell and may not perform the same.

I went with the Scorpion Zero All Season Plus which is rated well on tirerack for all seasons and a little better for dry traction than the Verde equivalent. So far mileage has been good with the last 5k miles coming in with a slightly lower Wh/Mi than the previous 15-20k. Handling has been excellent. Noise is hard to gauge because different tires react better or worse to different pavements and it's often a battle of "you win some, you lose some". All in all, though, I have no complaints about noise or comfort and there are definitely times when I think to myself "I feel like I should be hearing more tire noise on this road, but I don't" and never any cases of "OMG, I don't remember this road being so noisy before".

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle and tinc
The Scorpion Verde All Season Plus is probably most like the OE Continentals and a popular choice on here. Make sure all the words are present on the tires you get because one word gone and it is a different model that Pirelli does sell and may not perform the same.
I found these on Amazon that do not have the word “All” in the name and am wondering if they are the same. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWJ9EAS?tag=tmc064-20 Maybe the seller was just not paying attention to the correct name.

The TireRack page for that tire uses the word “All”. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...n Verde All Season Plus&partnum=645HR0SVASPXL

The Zeros cost a bit more https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...on Zero All Season Plus&partnum=645YR0SZASPXL

I found these on Amazon that do not have the word “All” in the name and am wondering if they are the same. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWJ9EAS?tag=tmc064-20 Maybe the seller was just not paying attention to the correct name.
Haha. Yeah, "All" isn't really one of the independently operative words. I haven't heard of a Season tire without the "All" and if you zoom in on the tire picture you can see "All Season" right next to the word "Verde".

I was more referring to making sure that it is all of "Verde" and "Plus" and either "A/S" or "All Season" (or in the case of Amazon, don't trust their product title when they make up a term like "Season"). Pirelli also sells "Verde" and "Verde A/S" and "Verde A/S Plus" and those are related, but different tires.

(And I just checked the Pirelli site and they've recently added a fourth tire "Verde A/S Plus II"...)

I just got the Michelin CrossClimate SUV XL tires installed on my 2017 Model X 75D. So far they seem to be a good replacement for the original Continentals. Search this forum for previous mentions, and tirerack.com, where I ordered from, for other reviews.

So far they are a smidge quieter. I am not a very particular driver but they seem to handle fine. Haven’t had them long enough to comment on fuel efficiency.