Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire shop didn't follow jacking procedure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just brought our Model 3 in to Discount Tire for new tires. I asked twice if they're familiar with the special jacking procedure. Two employees assured me that they work on Model 3s all the time. I happened to see that they lifted it with a standard lift (pic attached). I asked them about it afterwards, and they said that's how they always do it.

How big of a deal is this? Everything seems fine right now, but I'm worried about long-term damage that's not immediately obvious.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Model 3 Lift.jpg

Uggh I just went last weekend, and I asked them twice and same answer...I didn't go look tho. They assured me they had jack pads. I even told them I had them in the trunk, and they said no it's fine we have them here. I should have looked!

i don't see any obvious damage. I'm worried about hidden issues though. Should I contact Tesla about it? I'm not sure what I can / should do with Discount tire, but I figure acting sooner is better than later.

i don't see any obvious damage. I'm worried about hidden issues though. Should I contact Tesla about it? I'm not sure what I can / should do with Discount tire, but I figure acting sooner is better than later.

If you can't prove that damage or that harm was done to your car, there's nothing to confront Discount tire with - other than emotions.

A full scissor lift like that is not a problem at all.

The point of the jack points is just that, for jack lifts. not scissor lifts.

jack lifts put the weight of the car (about 30-50%) onto a single point. This can create large pressure, and if it's not centered exactly on the frame rail it can damage or even puncture the battery.

A scissor lift like the one shown puts even pressure across the entire rail on both sides. There is no risk of battery damage.

Look for coolant leaks, they should of used Jack Pads, I keep a set of 4 so that they can use when it’s time for new tires.

Fred

if you had jack pads, doesn't look like that jack is long enough to reach the 4 jack points

They are spreading the load over your frame rails. Should be fine. The jack pads are to ensure point loads are put exactly over the frame rails. This isn't a point load.

Have you seen the QuickJack they sell at Costco? It's the same idea.

https://www.costco.com/QuickJack-5,000-LB-Capacity-Portable-Car-Lift.product.100460313.html

funny, that jack is sitting on 4 jack pads

Reactions: KenC
What does it look like underneath, after this incorrect jacking? Any damage?
Town fair tire damaged my
Battery. I told them ahead and said I’ll leave them on passenger seat. They even wrote it on invoice to use rubber pucks provided. When the guy drove up I asked him you used those rubber pucks there was a distinct pregnant pause and he lied and said he did. Well tonight I’m driving to dinner and the alert comes up and we made it to dinner then car wouldn’t go in gear. Had to have it towed. Called the tire place and they claim they will cover all costs the shop said most likely the whole battery needs replacement. Wait till they see that bill. Around 15k dollars I read

Attachments

• 70440394942__FB5EA14B-6E95-4CE5-861F-450DD257C471.jpeg
    70440394942__FB5EA14B-6E95-4CE5-861F-450DD257C471.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc