Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Storage... what do you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Changing tires by the season is new to me so I've been reading up on it a bit. Everything I've read has said I should wash/scrub the tires and wheels and let them dry completely before bagging them and storing. Also recommended storing indoors and on a rack as opposed to stacked on top of each other. Well, I'm lazy and wasn't planning to wash them, but boy they are dirty! I guess I'll try to wash them this weekend, but it's cold out! I'm a fair weather gal. And the space I have to store mine is stacked in a corner of the garage so that's where they're gonna be. I can't imagine bringing them into the house and making it smell like a tire store in there! How do you store your tires?

I was also looking at these tire bags on amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/FLR-Adjust...ywords=tire+storage+bag&qid=1572555315&sr=8-5) as an easier way to load them back into the car when it's time to change them again. I haven't actually checked to see if the ones at that link are the right size for my tires, it's just an example of what I'm thinking of. Does anyone else have something like these? Are they worth it?

Changing tires by the season is new to me so I've been reading up on it a bit. Everything I've read has said I should wash/scrub the tires and wheels and let them dry completely before bagging them and storing. Also recommended storing indoors and on a rack as opposed to stacked on top of each other. Well, I'm lazy and wasn't planning to wash them, but boy they are dirty! I guess I'll try to wash them this weekend, but it's cold out! I'm a fair weather gal. And the space I have to store mine is stacked in a corner of the garage so that's where they're gonna be. I can't imagine bringing them into the house and making it smell like a tire store in there! How do you store your tires?

I was also looking at these tire bags on amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/FLR-Adjust...ywords=tire+storage+bag&qid=1572555315&sr=8-5) as an easier way to load them back into the car when it's time to change them again. I haven't actually checked to see if the ones at that link are the right size for my tires, it's just an example of what I'm thinking of. Does anyone else have something like these? Are they worth it?
Looks like it could make them easier to move and carry. I have 4 extra sets for our 3 vehicles. I swap them myself and then just stack them horizontally one on top of the other in 2 stacks of 8. No bags or anything. I usually get 5-8 years out of tires and have never had an issue doing it this way.

uMcJ7cB.png

That's what I do too.... I have three of exactly that item, all much higher in the air so that the garage door is underneath them(and still higher so that the door can go by while its opening/closing). Two sets are above the door, one on each side of the opener, the third set is off to the side perpendicular to the first two. Its a bit of a pain to load/unload, but its really only a step or three up a stepladder, and they are firmly out of the way.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058BMNVU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note, they come with LOOSE hardware, even though they have nylock nuts, I found many to be dangerously loose... I tightened them and still added blue loctite, just in case. For the first few months I had tires on them, I had safety straps through all the wheels and up to a strong support, in case things went south. I removed the strap after I was convinced 600 lbs of wheels and tires weren't gonna fall on the new model 3 below them.

And here's weird.... I got the exact same jack as in the picture, too!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00132CGEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tires are on your car and exposed to sun and other elements. Sitting in the garage really isn't going to do a lot of wear by comparison.

I just swap tires instead of rotating, so they don't stay idle long.