Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Wear and Costs - AWD V. RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

eloder

Mar 12, 2015
Ohio, USA
I was thinking about upgrading my RWD order to AWD, but I need additional justification. How much better is AWD for tire wear? Does it replace the need to rotate tires as frequently? Would there be any net savings on this front?

AWD is definitely in the "don't need" category, though it'd be really fun to have and within my price range. But if it can save time, hassle, and money with tire wear it may be enough to push me over the edge from MR.

Thanks in advance for responses!

AWD, vs RWD wont change the necessity to rotate tires. front tires will wear different due to turning, while rear tires will wear due to torque... AWD is better for handling, and all weather performance... doesn't help you stop though!

AWD, vs RWD wont change the necessity to rotate tires. front tires will wear different due to turning, while rear tires will wear due to torque... AWD is better for handling, and all weather performance... doesn't help you stop though!

AWD does help you stop with one foot driving ;)

Tire wear, one way or another, would NOT be the reason to choose AWD vs RWD.

Gonna have to come up with a better justification.

Reactions: Pkmmte and CUBldr97
I have AWD and love it. However, if you don’t need it and are concerned with tire wear and costs I’d stick with the RWD. Mainly because if you end up having to replace a tire, you have to replace all 4 tires on an AWD system to make sure they have the same tread depth. Otherwise you risk damage to the AWD system with tires of unequal tread depth. Tirerack does offer an option to “shave” a new tire for customers in this situation but it’s an added expense.

• Disagree
Reactions: MountainRatMat
I have AWD and love it. However, if you don’t need it and are concerned with tire wear and costs I’d stick with the RWD. Mainly because if you end up having to replace a tire, you have to replace all 4 tires on an AWD system to make sure they have the same tread depth. Otherwise you risk damage to the AWD system with tires of unequal tread depth. Tirerack does offer an option to “shave” a new tire for customers in this situation but it’s an added expense.
This is not applicable to EVs in which the front and rear axles aren’t actually connected.

Not with independent motors front and back. And generally better AWD systems wouldn't care either.
Besides, you should rotate you tires enough on any car for even wear.

Again, tires should not be the justification. Plenty of other good justifications.

Mine is safety. AWD just sticks to the road better in some stressed conditions. How do you put a price on that?

Reactions: MountainRatMat
For me, paying $4K to get a whole additional motor didn't seem too much :)
Better handling in different road conditions (probably not a big deal in most of CA though) and the additional reliability given the two separate motors made it worth losing a tiny bit of range, IMHO.

Not with independent motors front and back. And generally better AWD systems wouldn't care either.
Besides, you should rotate you tires enough on any car for even wear.

Again, tires should not be the justification. Plenty of other good justifications.

Mine is safety. AWD just sticks to the road better in some stressed conditions. How do you put a price on that?
Many sources out there that recommend 4 tire replacement on AWD for stability, traction, as well as wear. I’m going to go with the recommendation of reputable sources and either shave my replacement tire or replace all 4 if one has to be replaced.
With Tire Shaving, a Flat on an AWD Car No Longer Means Replacing All Four Tires

Depends on what sort of reliability you're looking for. A second motor increases the changes that one of the motors will fail, but decreases the chances that you will be stuck somewhere because of a motor failure.

I saw when Elon tweeted that, too. I don’t really buy it. IIRC, there was a post recently of a dual motor driver who got towed with a front motor failure. I would define reliability in terms of future repair costs (money or time). There is likely to be more with a dual motor car.

I still bought an AWD BTW.

Reactions: mswlogo
I saw when Elon tweeted that, too. I don’t really buy it. IIRC, there was a post recently of a dual motor driver who got towed with a front motor failure. I would define reliability in terms of future repair costs (money or time). There is likely to be more with a dual motor car.

I still bought an AWD BTW.
I tend to agree with you (and I too have an AWD). But if you take Elon at his word then the "not getting stranded due to a broken motor" form of reliability might be enough justification for the OP.

@eloder could you justify a BMW 340i over a 330i? Power is the biggest compelling difference.

I never could justify any car over 20k before EVs o_O

AWD reliability hasn't been a huge concern for me--econo EVs tend not to have motor problems, and I'm confident Tesla will eventually get there by the time I have a replacement either through warranty or through out of pocket (although the number of motor complaints I've seen have gone down drastically in my time watching these forums, they may be close or already there).

Depends on what sort of reliability you're looking for. A second motor increases the changes that one of the motors will fail, but decreases the chances that you will be stuck somewhere because of a motor failure.

Theoretically that would be plus in favor of AWD. Have there been any real-world examples of a single motor failure on AWD, but the car was still driveable?

$2k more at least if resale within 4 years

I plan to drive this car into the ground :) though high resale has always been an essential backup plan for me to justify a Tesla. Used S prices still seem insane.

Many sources out there that recommend 4 tire replacement on AWD for stability, traction, as well as wear. I’m going to go with the recommendation of reputable sources and either shave my replacement tire or replace all 4 if one has to be replaced.

I appreciate the heads-up! I'm not too worried on this front. My city's roads are pretty solid, I have yet to get a single flat or damaged tire in my 14-some years of driving and much of my local family has a similar track record.

Not trying to dissuade you, but also keep in mind you will get less range than RWD. Seems like 6-8% less for us.

That fact I was aware of and is actually a major negative against AWD for me. Kind of silly because I'm pretty sure my current EV is less efficient than even AWD.

AWD does help you stop with one foot driving

Makes sense, how much stronger is AWD regen? One thing I hate about my EV is that its regen is not low enough to achieve one pedal driving in most situations.

With Tire Shaving, a Flat on an AWD Car No Longer Means Replacing All Four Tires

Many sources say replace all tires regardless of AWD, FWD, RWD.

They also recommend 4 snows on all 4 wheels regardless of which wheels are driven.

I treat my AWD, 4WD, FWD exactly the same. And I tend get even wear and good life out of my tires.

Once your moving, traction control and ABS will be optimal and run mostly the same regardless of how you got to driven that speed.

Again the difference in tires for a WELL maintained car is negligible in the big scheme of things.

Tire pressure will matter more than RWD vs AWD does with respect to tire life.

A lot RWD owners that have driven both say the RWD can be more fun to drive.

Better range on RWD.

And my gut feeling is more reliable. Simpler something is the more reliable. The probability one motor dies and the other runs is pretty small.

For the record I have AWD. But there are times I wish I saved money and got increased range and went with RWD.