Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the OEM Continental an EV specific tire with low rolling resistance? The Michelin Pilot Sport EV is EV specific with low rolling resistance. Why would he be sacrificing range with the Michelins?
@MJB-CO The Pilot Sport EV is a summer performance tire, right? I think the assumption is that such a tire is likely to have worse efficiency than a less performance-focused allseason if both have similar EV/efficiency focus.

Is the OEM Continental an EV specific tire with low rolling resistance? The Michelin Pilot Sport EV is EV specific with low rolling resistance. Why would he be sacrificing range with the Michelins?

Yes, the OEM Continental Procontact RX is rated as the low rolling resistance tire. As far as I know, it is the most efficient EV tire on the market currently.

I just had Pirelli P Zero Elect AS's installed on my Model Y LR (20" induction wheels). Previous tires were Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 5's. They are sooo much better. They are as quiet or quieter and more compliant, but the biggest difference for me was the steering feel. The Goodyears made it feel like I was trying to balance the car on top of a needle to keep it going straight. And if I took my hand off the wheel, it would pull slightly to the left (not my preferred directions when driving on the right side of the road), which is a problem I could never get to go away after 3 steering alignments. After putting on the Pirelli's the pulling issue vanished and suddenly it tracked straight as an arrow. I haven't put these tires through their paces yet, but even if there is some performance decline, it is totally worth the benefit of noise and tracking straight. As far as rolling resistance goes, I suspect they may be slightly worse than the goodyears, but only time will tell - I've only driven them about 10 miles so far.

" As far as rolling resistance goes, I suspect they may be slightly worse than the goodyears, but only time will tell - I've only driven them about 10 miles so far."

@msbihli set one of your trip odometers to "tire rotate" or something like that. This way you can easily track your preferred tire rotation interval (I'm using every 5k) and also monitor energy consumption. My Model 3 with 5k on the Pirelli P Zero Elect AS is about 6% less watt/mile energy use compared to lifetime (28k). So 23k was on the OEM Michelin OEM tires.

Agree, the Pirelli P Zero Elect AS is a strong performing all season tire.

" As far as rolling resistance goes, I suspect they may be slightly worse than the goodyears, but only time will tell - I've only driven them about 10 miles so far."

@msbihli set one of your trip odometers to "tire rotate" or something like that. This way you can easily track your preferred tire rotation interval (I'm using every 5k) and also monitor energy consumption. My Model 3 with 5k on the Pirelli P Zero Elect AS is about 6% less watt/mile energy use compared to lifetime (28k). So 23k was on the OEM Michelin OEM tires.

Agree, the Pirelli P Zero Elect AS is a strong performing all season tire.
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely do this, but I’ve already decided to switch to Michelin PS4 AS’s. Everything is still as I mentioned about the Pirelli’s, but I have a hunch I’ll get better efficiency out of the Michelins. I guess we’ll find out…