Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 doesn't start (drive/reverse) - 2 videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twice this happened to me.... the car is "on" but it won't go into Drive nor reverse. The stalk works, but the car won't go into the D/R mode. Had to reset the car, then it worked.

Here are the two videos (merged into one file)

Where are the videos? :)

Happened to me yesterday. I then tapped the keycard and all was well (I always use the phone, until yesterday)

• Informative
Reactions: Brisket5652
This also happened to me twice since the update to 42.2. I reseted the car and it was still occurring. Never had this issue before.

Like others said, it may be a phone key issue. I am having more phone key issues since the update to 42.2. Def annoying.

One thing I did find today. The front passenger or rear passenger door wouldn’t open today but then when I walked around to the driver door, it opened immediately.

Did they change something to lower vampire drain (or phone battery) but at the same time make it less responsive?

• Informative
Out of curiosity, do the brake lights come when parked when pressing on the brake (like every car I've seen)? When in this bad state, do the brake lights come on when the brake pedal's pressed? The latter might be impossible to tell outside in the day w/o a helper.

I've seen some cases of cars w/Intelligent Key (Nissan parlance aka Smart Key System in Toyota parlance) have problems getting to READY mode if the brake light switch (aka stop lamp switch) is bad. They require your foot to be on the brake as you press power in order to go into READY.

Out of curiosity, do the brake lights come when parked when pressing on the brake (like every car I've seen)? When in this bad state, do the brake lights come on when the brake pedal's pressed? The latter might be impossible to tell outside in the day w/o a helper.

I've seen some cases of cars w/Intelligent Key (Nissan parlance aka Smart Key System in Toyota parlance) have problems getting to READY mode if the brake light switch (aka stop lame switch) is bad. They require your foot to be on the brake as you press power in order to go into READY.

I didn't look outside to see if the brake lights were on, but as shown in the video I did repeatedly press the brake.

^^^
Right. I'm not saying you didn't press on the brake.

However, if when normally functioning, the brake lights come on when you press on the pedal while parked and they don't when in this bad state, it's possibly due to a bad brake light switch.

This also causes a "no start" (can't get into READY mode, so can't drive) condition on the aforementioned Nissans.

• Informative
Same thing happened to me the first time ever a week ago (on 39.7 firmware). Wouldn't clear with a reset. Tried getting out, locking etc. Tried the wife's phone, still unable to shift into drive/reverse. We just left it and drove the other car. Later in the day it worked fine and has been fine since. I also had the weirdness where the phone key won't unlock the passenger door but will the drivers.
In hindsight, perhaps a power off from the main screen menu would have helped or trying to start with the key card (assuming it's some strange phone key issue).
V9 seems more buggy to me than earlier releases. I hope they concentrate on big fixes over just piling on more features, especially when they aren't fully baked, IMO.

This has happened to me a few times. It is definitely an issue with the phone key disconnecting. It's odd given the signal was there when I entered the car but not when I sat down? Even so I was able to validate by using the key card while in that state and the car was able to shift normally after. The next time it happened I force-quit the app and relaunched and everything was normal again.

Unless it's chronic, I wouldn't bother with the SC for this.

This has happened to me a few times. It is definitely an issue with the phone key disconnecting. It's odd given the signal was there when I entered the car but not when I sat down? Even so I was able to validate by using the key card while in that state and the car was able to shift normally after. The next time it happened I force-quit the app and relaunched and everything was normal again.

Unless it's chronic, I wouldn't bother with the SC for this.

Good point.....if the OP used their card..instead of their phone.....will it happen?

If it doesn't happen with the card....its not a problem with the "car".

Unfortunately it might be a problem with the OP's phone.

HEY OP!!! WHAT KIND OF PHONE DO YOU HAVE?

It's not the phone. It's connected to the car. 1) I wouldn't have been able to get the car and 2) on one of the videos you can hear the music from my phone playing, meaning it's connected.

I'm addition, one of the times I got the car started by opening and closing the driver door.

It's not the phone or keycard, people.

It's not the phone. It's connected to the car. 1) I wouldn't have been able to get the car and 2) on one of the videos you can hear the music from my phone playing, meaning it's connected.

I'm addition, one of the times I got the car started by opening and closing the driver door.

It's not the phone or keycard, people.

Not saying it is the phone, but the Bluetooth connection for audio is different than the Bluetooth connection for the key. Just because you are connected to audio doesn't necessarily mean that the phone key has not disconnected after unlocking the doors.

From the Owner's Manual:

Note: Authenticating your phone allows you to use it as a key to access Model 3. To use the phone hands-free, access your phone's contacts, play media from it, etc., you must also pair and connect to it using the Bluetooth settings (see Phone on page 97).