Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To 19s or not to 19s? That is the question!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I know there have been lots of discussions on this forum and countless others, but most deal with efficiency, performance, etc. on assumptions that don't normally take into account the tires on the wheels? For example, OEM 18s with MXM4 are normally compared to 19s with PSAS4 or DSW06+, etc. I want to know that if we keep tires constant, say in terms of performance, what is the REAL difference and if it is REALLY discernible, between 18s vs 19s with the same tires? In this case, let's stay with PSAS4 235/45 and 235/40 on the 18s and 19s, respectively. Also assume OEM 18s vs Tesla Sport 19s.

The question here for me are as follows, as well as my thoughts:

1 - Which will be quicker in acceleration? 18s
2 - Which will handle corners better? 19s
3 - Comfort? 18s
4 - Pricing? 18s tires will be cheaper
5 - Durability? 18s

So, what are your thoughts? I ask because I am not sure if I should go with 19s? Lastly, everything being constant, would a couple of pounds on wheel weight make a difference in range or acceleration???

Thanks!

1- That would depend on the weight of the overall package.
2- IF you have the same tires, I would think the difference is marginal, but 19s win. The difference is cornering entry tire flex I think. IT would be more of a "feel" than a real performance difference. My opinion at least.
3- Again, if same tires and same package weight, 18" since the tire flex adds to the bump absorbtion?
4- I agree with you
5- I don't think it makes a difference?

1- That would depend on the weight of the overall package.
2- IF you have the same tires, I would think the difference is marginal, but 19s win. The difference is cornering entry tire flex I think. IT would be more of a "feel" than a real performance difference. My opinion at least.
3- Again, if same tires and same package weight, 18" since the tire flex adds to the bump absorbtion?
4- I agree with you
5- I don't think it makes a difference?
Thanks....I would think that on the whole, the OEM 18s w/out covers are 21.6lbs, the 19s are 25lbs. Plus tires, which are both 25lbs, based on Discount Tires website. So, 2 lbs difference.

Last edited:
Right now, leaning towards staying with the 18s as I already have it and tires are cheaper and there's a larger selection. I guess I have to remind myself that I don't really drive the car all that aggressively enough to justify the 19s, costs on tires/wheels, as well as reduced comfort and range... :)