Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To buy or not to buy the extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your MX is 2016, I think your battery is actually covered for 8 years and unlimited miles. But just a month or 2 ago, they changed it 125,000 miles. I don't know what happened if you try to tell them the original warranty is for unlimited miles. And since you are in California you will get at least 125,000 miles... I think it was a CA law to cover at least 125,000 miles for hybrid battery and EV battery.

It's good that your MX had very little problem. Our 2017 MX had a few door problems already in the 2 years we had it. Unlike the S or 3, the X got auto doors everywhere. It is very common for some of the sensors and actuators to fail. And MCU1 will probably fail in under 6 years. That alone is like $3000 to replace I think. Our FWDs works perfectly so far, but it seems like it is something that could fail easily with so many moving parts and sensors. So I bought the extended warranty.

The warranty is back to unlimited on battery and drive units on S and X.

Deductible is per visit, not per issue. And if you need a subsequently visit to finish an item it’s covered under the same deductible. You go in with 3 issues over 2 visits and it will be $200.

If you trade or sell you can get a portion back depending past issues covers and time miles past since it was effective.

It is also transferable.

I got got it for my X. I’ll sleep better.