Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing i saw mentioned here sometime back was improved Summon responsiveness with MCU2. I had only used Summon while still MCU1, and getting it to work without frequent disconnections was always more hassle than it was worth. Finally got around to trying Summon again with MCU2 installed, and I can confirm it operates much better than Summon with MCU1. Now it works instantly without any disconnects.

They'll also know that the price drop could vanish and that the upgrade will eventually not be an option. At some point owners are either going to upgrade or get the eMMC replacement. When most have done one or the other, Tesla is not going to want to continue offering the MCU2 upgrade....at any price.

It was like that with the Ludicrous upgrade. Tesla offered that to P85Ds to stem the inevitable class action that was forming up over 691 gate. Not only can you NOT purchase the L upgrade anymore for the P85D, you can't even get it for P90Ds that have all the hardware. Tesla would rather sell you a new car.

Tesla is not offering the MCU2 upgrade to make money. At $1500 for both the MCU2 and the IC2 and all the labor, I'll but they're just about coming out even if that. They're offering it as a way to unload extra supply and not lose money servicing MCU1 recall fixes. As soon as their current supply is gone, that's it. No more MCU2 upgrades. I'm already a little nervous that they'll tell me the day before I come in for my appointment that they have to reschedule because the parts aren't in and then when that comes only to discover they ran out...for good.
If as you say Tesla is just draining their inventory of MCU2's, what do you think happens to MCU2 warranty claims (or even post warranty repair requests) once they have no more MCU2's in stock? Unless you think they'll be retrofitting MCU3 for any broken MCU2 (unlikely), they need to keep MCU2's in stock for the foreseeable future.

That said, FOMO can be an effective sales technique. Perhaps using it could make the used car buyer value it more. Combine "MCU2's could be gone tomorrow" (since as you just wrote, you're worried your upgrade appointment will be cancelled) with "I have other parties really interested in my car" and you have a perfect FOMO sales pitch. ;)

If as you say Tesla is just draining their inventory of MCU2's, what do you think happens to MCU2 warranty claims (or even post warranty repair requests) once they have no more MCU2's in stock? Unless you think they'll be retrofitting MCU3 for any broken MCU2 (unlikely), they need to keep MCU2's in stock for the foreseeable future.

They'll hold onto enough inventory for warranty repairs as required.

They'll hold onto enough inventory for warranty repairs as required.
For which they can factor in the number of MCU1 units out there too (less than MCU2) and continue to offer upgrades from the very same inventory. Remember, they know exactly how many MCU1's and MCU2 are out there, as they all call home, so they can plan very precisely. (and yes, I know a few people out there hacked their cars to never connect to Tesla, but those numbers are insignificant). Do remember than an MCU2 upgrade also means Tesla doesn't have to pay for the recall/repair of MCU1, so there is money there for them too.

Damn-it... just found that my doors won’t unlock from the app since my upgrade. I figured that since everything else worked, before I left the SC, that the remote door unlock would work. WRONG!

I'm sorry to hear about that! Can anyone suggest a list of things to test after the MCU2 upgrade BEFORE leaving the SC? I'm hoping to get mine done in about a week...

Reactions: Damien Sandow
Damn-it... just found that my doors won’t unlock from the app since my upgrade. I figured that since everything else worked, before I left the SC, that the remote door unlock would work. WRONG!

I'm sorry to hear about that! Can anyone suggest a list of things to test after the MCU2 upgrade BEFORE leaving the SC? I'm hoping to get mine done in about a week...

It is the first item to check on this list: (scroll to the bottom) MCU2 Upgrade and AM/FM/XM Radio Issues – TeslaTap

Just had the MCU2 upgrade done to 2014 Dec issue S85 as after may visits and calls regarding MCU1 failing issues I just thought that I would like my heating to work, internet connection to come back on and the car to stop rebooting if I looked at it the wrong way.

Very happy with the screen replacement and speed of interface, went to reverse into my drive at night and could not see a thing. I was literally reversing blind as the reverse camera view was so dim compared to before, sent text to Tesla services and they put out a software update but initially asked if the brand new screen interface they had put in that afternoon was really dirty and that's why I couldn't see behind me????

But where as I had not had connectivity for over 4 months I now do, it is still 3G? Pretty sure an LTE/4G upgrade was included, wondering if they just put my old 'Spanish local' sim card back in.

Can't log in to youtube as it says this web browser doesn't support it?

Can't get Netflix to show properly on screen so can not log in and 3Gtoo slow for it anyhow.

Hoping they will sort out the LTE/4G upgrade and it was just an error on their part. The 6hr wait on a stool in the waiting room and being told that it now might take a couple of days to fix and a blank stare without so much of a 'sorry we said it was an afternoon job' and now you might have to walk 70 miles to get home... I can deal with that, but Netflix and LTE/4G was a big part of the upgrade that I would like sorted.... Feeling like you have to hassle them at Bristol service centre to get any updates and that you are a pain in the butt for having this upgrade done because their MCU1 was at fault constantly.

You'd think a company which values quality would have a checklist in the upgrade process for techs to check off before handing the car back to the customer.
I would be willing to bet that they do. But getting people to read and check off the punchdown list is a different story. Humans, huh ?
People working in these stops would certainly not be the first to not follow a checklist.

Just had the MCU2 upgrade done to 2014 Dec issue S85

But where as I had not had connectivity for over 4 months I now do, it is still 3G? Pretty sure an LTE/4G upgrade was included, wondering if they just put my old 'Spanish local' sim card back in.

Can't log in to youtube as it says this web browser doesn't support it?

MCU2 has LTE. Just in case, if there's weak LTE in the area where you are, its going to continue to connect at 3G. But your comm board and SIM would be for LTE in MCU2.

Try logging in to Plex.tv with Google, then go back to Youtube. A former Google person that was on TMC recently said, 'log into another Google app, then come back to Youtube, and it will also work.".

Cheers for the reply,

I have never seen the signal since MCU2 upgrade change from 3G, checked my phone and full 4G bars but no 4G on Tesla screen. I can't get Netflix screen to let me log in either, UI is super small and unusable..never easy when they 'fix' something.

MCU2 has LTE. Just in case, if there's weak LTE in the area where you are, its going to continue to connect at 3G. But your comm board and SIM would be for LTE in MCU2.

Try logging in to Plex.tv with Google, then go back to Youtube. A former Google person that was on TMC recently said, 'log into another Google app, then come back to Youtube, and it will also work.".

I would be willing to bet that they do. But getting people to read and check off the punchdown list is a different story. Humans, huh ?
People working in these stops would certainly not be the first to not follow a checklist.
Yea, Elon is no Henry Ford, eh? Being able to build a cool prototype or even a limited series is much different than designing for and executing mass production and long term maintenance.

No matter how many times we warn people what to look for.... well you know the rest.
So sorry, Im stupid you are not. Either way, yes I forgot that one thing and it turns out its the only thing they messed up. Long to short still very happy with upgrade and anyone on the fence I'd suggest to do it even if only AP1 and you have the means. Oh and dont forget to check the door unlocking from the app.

Early 2017 Model S owner here. Over the summer I got my self driving unit replaced for free; mobile service swapped it out in my driveway. Took less than 2 hours. I saw some improvements in terms of overall stability and visualizations but my center console had already started to get wacky. Constant restarts, super sluggish, etc.

So last Friday I got the new center console and radio at the service center in Santa Clara, CA. It took about 7-ish hours. When I dropped it off, the service advisor said they can't predict when settings will be saved. Good news...everything was saved! Everything is way more responsive; the driving cluster is a lot brighter and sharper and there's more visualizations. The only thing that didn't work was XM Radio; the radio has a new ID. I tried to swap it out online and over the phone; the online option didn't work and when I called the department that could help me was closed. So I'll call SiriusXM to get it sorted out today.

I plan on keeping my car for a few more years so the new center console was worth the price. I'd love if it was free, but oh well.

Early 2017 Model S owner here. Over the summer I got my self driving unit replaced for free; mobile service swapped it out in my driveway. Took less than 2 hours. I saw some improvements in terms of overall stability and visualizations but my center console had already started to get wacky. Constant restarts, super sluggish, etc.

So last Friday I got the new center console and radio at the service center in Santa Clara, CA. It took about 7-ish hours. When I dropped it off, the service advisor said they can't predict when settings will be saved. Good news...everything was saved! Everything is way more responsive; the driving cluster is a lot brighter and sharper and there's more visualizations. The only thing that didn't work was XM Radio; the radio has a new ID. I tried to swap it out online and over the phone; the online option didn't work and when I called the department that could help me was closed. So I'll call SiriusXM to get it sorted out today.

I plan on keeping my car for a few more years so the new center console was worth the price. I'd love if it was free, but oh well.
Same boat here. Just dropped the car off this morning. I was on the fence about just getting a new S, but with the price increase and terrible trade-in value for my current car I decided to upgrade to MCU2 instead. I figure I will happily keep the car for a couple more years and who knows where we'll be at by then. Now I am just deciding if I want to drop the coin for the extended warranty as I am now over 43k miles and repair costs are starting to scare me a little bit post 50k.

On a side note, I received my first P100D car as a loaner. It had always been older 85s in the past. Only problem, it's locked in Chill Mode :D