Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heat related problems also, I prayed open the back of the shelf that's under the screen. It's not noticable because the front is still clipped in.

I also use a windshield sun shade and park with the rear of the car to the sun.

Not sure mcu2 is worth the $. Maybe mcu3 or 4 will be.

Edit: praying open the back of the shelf allows better air flow to the computer.

Last edited:
Not consensus!!!
Again...AP1 car has no gain w $1500 MCU2 upgrade.

How much time do you spend on the touch screen while driving?
...less than 10% ..just to change station and inputting direction.

MCU1 might take a few seconds longer to show you directions...but music streaming is still instant...all of the new games and gadget are NOT NEEDED
This! I don't see the any need to upgrade. I set my destination in the nav before driving off. The route calculations are done before leaving my neighborhood. I don't futz with the map underway; I'm busy doing this thing called "driving"

Changing radio stations, etc has always been instantaneous.

Games? Web browser? Puh-leez...

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
If I got the only one MCU2 that was made to replace a MCU1, I would be happy with my choice. Let me be clear, if no one else, ever got the MCU2 upgrade, I would still be happy and sad for everyone else. I've become a "sharer" though. I want people to know, its worth it. I don't make any money or points with Tesla encouraging anyone else to upgrade. I just can't sit on my thumbs and do nothing. Not my way. I have said before, here, MCU2 is worth twice what they are charging for the upgrade. Like it or not. Ignore me if you wish. Its okay. I won't lose any sleep.

This is how I currently feel about it, all the added features I don't feel I would take advantage of. Nav, I use google maps on my phone. Streaming, I use my Spotify through Bluetooth on my phone. Better performance maybe... but just to open the rear cam and frunk occasionally? I never used voice commands. Games and such, I used to solely free supercharge but now charge at home. Maybe all these workarounds have been because I was never able to use the features because MCU1 though...

I have heat related problems also
What symptoms have you been having? Soley with the IC? I did notice the IC was scalding compared to the MCU, I also use a windshield shade :) You think it's because the IC computer is overheating? Has the additional airflow helped?

I would still be happy
Yeah, I understand the consensus is reasonably to upgrade and I will definitely feel the difference. But like a new phone, how long will I be like 'ooh smoother and shiny new features' before I get back into my usual groove and forget about it all... except the $2k? Again, maybe I'll use the features a lot more once they're actually usable. Maybe I'm just being frugal 😦

I would eat my hat if there's ever an MCU3 or MCU4 update for older MCU1/2 cars.
+100

MCU2 is the end of the road for us vertical screened dinosaurs. If you want the most out of your car, get the upgrade while you still can.

I paid the full $2500 two years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I bought MCU2 for my pre-AP 2013 MS a few years ago when the price was still 2500€. My MCU1 emmc died and there was no recall yet, so I would have had to pay the fix myself.

We were really happy with it, even bought small game controllers so kids could play the games. Netflix is great. And Caraoke too. Surely you can use your phone for most of the same things, but it's much more social for everyone to stare at same screen and interact with each other!

Last April I bought a 2016 MX... It had MCU1 with emmc fix just done. Initially I was reasonably happy, I thought I wouldn't bother with MCU2. It was fast and snappy, much better than the MCU1 in my old MS which probably already was suffering from emmc problems when I got the car .. I tried to convince myself that I don't really need the MCU2 goodies. But it was kind of a step backwards from the previous car

Then navigation informed me that new maps are available, but the download always stopped halfway through. Later route planning started lagging... I learned from this forum that there is another emmc for navigation, which can suffer exactly the same problems as the main emmc! And there is no recall for this part, so again you pay the fix yourself.

Some cars have replaceable microsd card for navigation, but no such luck in my case. Empty microsd slot, it is using internal emmc.

What a piece of crap hardware! Also there is another emmc inside the IC. Again pay for the fix when that goes out.

Anyway, the car was anyway going to service center for tow hitch installation. I added MCU2 to the order. Haven't regretted it.

+100

MCU2 is the end of the road for us vertical screened dinosaurs. If you want the most out of your car, get the upgrade while you still can.

I paid the full $2500 two years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Me too. I was one of the very first to get MCU2 (my appt was an accident). I don't regret at all that it cost me more than everyone can do today. Worth every penny.

I am not gloating. I mean no disrespect to anyone that has not done it yet. But there's simply no guarantee that MCU2 will continue to be available. Stop and think, they are not building a production car now that needs MCU2. Why would the keep making them. And as demand slows, and they stop making them, and use up supply, why would the start up again for just a few people? We could easily wake up one day and the infotainment page says "Sorry Charlie".

Not consensus!!!
Again...AP1 car has no gain w $1500 MCU2 upgrade.
...less than 10% ..just to change station and inputting direction.

MCU1 might take a few seconds longer to show you directions...but music streaming is still instant...all of the new games and gadget are NOT NEEDED
This! I don't see the any need to upgrade. I set my destination in the nav before driving off. The route calculations are done before leaving my neighborhood. I don't futz with the map underway; I'm busy doing this thing called "driving"

Changing radio stations, etc has always been instantaneous.
Games? Web browser? Puh-leez...
How about Consensus on the eventual certain failure of MCU1? ;)

I am not gloating. I mean no disrespect to anyone that has not done it yet. But there's simply no guarantee that MCU2 will continue to be available. Stop and think, they are not building a production car now that needs MCU2. Why would the keep making them. And as demand slows, and they stop making them, and use up supply, why would the start up again for just a few people? We could easily wake up one day and the infotainment page says "Sorry Charlie".
Thinking about the longevity of the car, MCU2 definitely takes the cake. I haven't thought about them stopping producing MCU2s. My appointment got pushed back as soon as I added the MCU2 upgrade due to parts on backorder with no ETA :( but people here have slowly been getting their upgrades soooo...

Upgrading it to MCU2 myself in the future doesn't seem feasible with the risk of bricking and losing free supercharging from programing it. And used MCU1s are bound to poop out eventually... as mine will sooner rather than later. Thought I had a special case because of my IC dying but still sounds like all MCU1s will cease to work one day.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and opinions, gonna be waiting for the MCU2 to get in stock now...