Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To P3D- from P90DL; stealth Xpel MSM for those interested

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Thought I would post some thoughts on switching to a P3D- from a SP90DL.

Delivery: Ugh. Rushed. Dirty car (bird droppings on headlight was the highlight). New delivery advisor that was nice but not knowledgeable. Several small paint chips. Scratches and paint transfer on bumper. Water damage in lower trunk. Some kind of weird paint defect on front passenger door jamb. I took the car because the panel alignment including hood, trunk, rear taillights and charge port door was great, and the interior was close to perfect. Totally disappointing experience for the price of the car and Tesla has to do better if they want to succeed. I'm not doing a delivery like this again in 5 years if there is a competitive vehicle.

Drive: Surprisingly don't miss the power of the P90DL, so happy with that. S was certainly faster, but I would say the P3D does not give up much usable power in everyday driving. The 3 certainly feels easier to control under hard acceleration. Drove a friend's non-P AWD, and glad I got the performance, but don't blame anyone who doesn't who wants to save the cash. Handles well, nice parking and driving a smaller car in the city/ramps/etc.

My one complaint is that coming from an S, the model 3 rides rougher and louder - particularly more tire noise (I'm on 18's / primacy tires vs 19s and SAS in the S). I found the S very relaxing to drive, not so with the 3 really. It's certainly fine, but just not as nice. There are roads I drive everyday that if you had closed your eyes in the S it would be difficult to tell that you were even moving. In the 3, the ride is certainly smooth on these roads, but there are vibrations and bumps transferred through the steering/chassis that were not present on the S. Smoother ride and sound deadening would make the 3 amazing.

Front visibility is better. Rear visibility is .... different. Side view mirrors in the 3 are quite small. Overall I feel like "lane changing" visibility is about the same as the S. With the 3 being smaller and more nimble, gives it a slight edge in traffic - but not as much as I thought it would to be honest.

Interior: Much prefer the 3. White interior all the way. Seat is just better than the next gen's I had in my S. Center console vs the yacht floor is so much better. Finally have a place to put things. Prefer smaller steering wheel of the 3, but the S wheel felt more comfortable and of better materials. Front passenger space doesn't feel much different to me. I feel higher in the 3 - S felt more cocoon like. Don't miss the 2nd screen from the S - I think this is highly overrated in 3 vs S comparisons. I do wish the 3 screen was tilted towards the driver.

Exterior: See pics of stealth wrap below. 3 looks good/fine, I think the S looks better.

Post Delivery:
- Xpel stealth. I looked at 3million pictures/videos prior to doing this trying to get a feel for it. In the end I like it, and am glad I did it - but it's different. Since I had the same color on my S, the differences are pretty apparent to me. I was surprised that online no one had commented that the stealth wrap makes the car tend more towards gray/navy blue /black, and that the non-wrapped MSM looks much more blue. FYI for those considering it.
- Painted calipers. One thing I wished I could have had from the P3D+ package.
- 50% side tint (nothing on rear/front). legal limit here. Didn't want liability from darker tint.
- Ceramic pro coated.
- Center console wrapped with Kenriko matte white from amazon. This looks good. Texture is fine but not great. Might replace with something glossy with better tactile feel in the future. Feels like white printer paper TBH.

IMG_20180929_151355.jpg

InkedIMG_20180928_120158_LI.jpg

IMG_20180928_105002.jpg img_850466758_fb_img_1537931658499.jpg img_850466782_fb_img_1537932291191.jpg img_850466790_fb_img_1537933436135.jpg IMG_20180928_105002.jpg IMG_20180928_120241.jpgimg_849790046_18484.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you like the P! In what ways did you like the P over the Non-P?

Having been in the P90DL for the past 2 years, part of what I loved about it was what I think of as "effortless, endless" power. I think the P3D comes significantly closer to replicating that feeling than the AWD, especially from a standstill/slow rolling start. If I had been coming from a less powerful car, I could see AWD being more than enough.

I found this write up interesting as I was totally sold on buying an S but decided on the P3 after a test drive. 3 months back it was time to make the purchase and I told the salesman I should at least test drive the P3 before I buy the S. What an instant change of heart I had, the P3 was more comfortable, easier to drive, better stereo and just freaking fast & controllable. I came from a 450hp SRT8 Magnum and have always had very powerful vehicles, I am a gear head.
Now when I hear the V8's on the road it's like I don't really want them anymore, really. This car is so awesome

Reactions: Jason_G
I found this write up interesting as I was totally sold on buying an S but decided on the P3 after a test drive. 3 months back it was time to make the purchase and I told the salesman I should at least test drive the P3 before I buy the S. What an instant change of heart I had, the P3 was more comfortable, easier to drive, better stereo and just freaking fast & controllable. I came from a 450hp SRT8 Magnum and have always had very powerful vehicles, I am a gear head.
Now when I hear the V8's on the road it's like I don't really want them anymore, really. This car is so awesome

I won’t lie, I do occasionally miss the harmonics of ripping through the gears... but the feeling is fleeting.

I somehow missed this review. Thanks for bumping it back up. I wholeheartedly agree with everything written. The 3 is “twitchier” in everyday driving but such a great ride. I wonder if any of the OP’s thoughts have changed with half a year of ownership.

Like the OP, I drove an SP90DL for 2 years. I got a 3 LR RWD in May; then in November I traded it in for a P3D+. Most of my experiences and views are pretty similar to the OP. Here's what has been different for me:

1. Both of my deliveries were perfect.

2. I still miss the acceleration of the SP90DL. The P3D feels slow off the line. But fortunately, it's mostly just off the line. Once you are over, say, 20mph the P3D is really pretty darn good. (I mean, under 20 it's pretty good too; just not compared to the SP90DL). I agree with the OP that this is just because I was used to the SP90DL; somebody coming from almost any other car would probably be pleased with a 3 RWD, much less a P3D.

3. I do miss the second screen on the S. Not because of its position, but simply because it allows you to display more info at once. I liked having local turn-by-turn AND the whole trip map up at the same time, for instance.

4. I miss the enormous hatch on the S. Sure, my wife has an X I can borrow if I need it - and several times I have - but it sure would be nice to have that space in my car, and have the easier access through the hatch.

That's about it. Largely because of the size and steering, I prefer the 3 around town and I'm saving a lot of money too. But because of the cargo space/access and ride/noise and extra display, I would definitely prefer the S on a road trip. (Although in my case we can take the wife's X, so I'm not missing out by having a 3!)

Great take. I continue to drive my S to work on an hour long commute. My intent was to sell it but I may just keep it as a commuter car and drive the 3 around the neighborhood. The 3 is great for running errands and also for carving up the twisties around me.

My opinion hasn't changed much since I posted this.

Power still feels good, but like someone above said, the P90DL was just so much more brutal from a stop - after that I don't notice as much difference.

Car still sounds/feels too loud and rough for me. I'm not into sporty suspensions (one reason I didn't get the PUP). This is the biggest sore spot for me, and had I been able to do a 1 week test drive, I probably would have ended up back in an S.

For zipping around the neighborhood, in and out of parking lots for errands and such, the 3 is better. The S is just so much more forgiving as a highway cruiser - I miss it on my commute, and if the decision had been between a refreshed/updated S and the 3, it would have been a no brainer to pay the higher cost of the S for me. As it stood it was still a close call - just so tough to pay more money for a less well designed interior ergonomic.