Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Plaid, or not to Plaid....that's a good question!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aerodyne

2 of 3 EV's - Defect Free!
Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
Qualitatively, there are about as many answers are there are potential buyers!

But Quantitavely, things are a lot clearer. We know the prices and performance of the Plaid and LR. We can get good estimates of recurring costs such as taxes, interest, insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc.

I am making a spreadsheet now, to support my eventual fact based, unemotional (lol) decision to the family CFO.

Interesting tidbit...the highway range of a LR with 19" wheels is only 19% more than a MS 85...and the Plaid highway range with 19" is about the same as the LR...

Don't believe it? Let's run some numbers and compare!

Wasn't EPA on the MS 85 253? When I sold my 85 (not D) it had 40k on the clock and my consumption was 305wh/mi (19" cyclones). My Plaid routinely gets 285wh/mi. The usable pack size on my Plaid is probably 25% larger......how did you come up with the 85 is 19% more than the Plaid?
Grabbing popcorn and waiting for the spreadsheet
🍿🍿🍿

You are on! Thanks for joining!

2015 85D is 265 - 270 EPA RM. I believe the P85 was 253 RM.

The way I did it is go to the EPA site and get the range at 100% highway for my '15 MS 85D, a Plaid, and a LR, all with 19" wheels. I have 293 Wh/mi since purchase, and about 313 Wh/mi on a 6k mile cross country. Obviously cannot account for individual driving style.

I'll recheck my numbers and post later..

You are on! Thanks for joining!

2015 85D is 265 - 270 EPA RM. I believe the P85 was 253 RM.

The way I did it is go to the EPA site and get the range at 100% highway for my '15 MS 85D, a Plaid, and a LR, all with 19" wheels. I have 293 Wh/mi since purchase, and about 313 Wh/mi on a 6k mile cross country. Obviously cannot account for individual driving style.

I'll recheck my numbers and post later..
My 85D at 80k miles was at 315wh/mi.
I’m blown away by the efficiency of my plaid when I don’t mash the accelerator.
On short trips I’ve seen Model 3 level 250wh/mi. On my plaid.

Based on my calculations From my 1st post the plaid will get about 333mi on a charge.
Don’t see how any 85kWh pack could come close. 🤷🏻‍♂️

At $80k the LR was a steal IMO. Same with Plaid at $120k. Both being $10k higher is a hard sell to me.
Exactly why the best financial play is to give it a few years, let someone else take the depreciation hit, and then buy it for about half of MSRP in clean well-care-for condition.

Based on this strategy, our 7th and 8th Model S's will finally have autopilot 2 and I'm excited for all of the "new" features that come with it. Probably just as excited as some of you are for the Plaid and LR that are coming out right now. It's all about perspective. ;)

Exactly why the best financial play is to give it a few years, let someone else take the depreciation hit, and then buy it for about half of MSRP in clean well-care-for condition.

Based on this strategy, our 7th and 8th Model S's will finally have autopilot 2 and I'm excited for all of the "new" features that come with it. Probably just as excited as some of you are for the Plaid and LR that are coming out right now. It's all about perspective. ;)

Fully agree with you... have only bought one new car in my lifetime, about when I bought my first new computer, 386

The savings have enabled me to be able to afford one now.

Being retired, said savings are in my emergency cash fund, but it does no good there making 0.60% which is taxable.

Can get a car loan for 0.99%, or signature loan for 2.2% from my CU.

The perspective of many here is they don't want to wait for a new car much less a used one three or so years out, so I won't try to change anyone's mind on that.

Fully agree with you... have only bought one new car in my lifetime, about when I bought my first new computer, 386

The savings have enabled me to be able to afford one now.

Being retired, said savings are in my emergency cash fund, but it does no good there making 0.60% which is taxable.

Can get a car loan for 0.99%, or signature loan for 2.2% from my CU.

The perspective of many here is they don't want to wait for a new car much less a used one three or so years out, so I won't try to change anyone's mind on that.
In all seriousness, the LR is a good buy; very fast, and save for the acceleration, is nearly the same as the Plaid. Go LR and leave an extra $40k in your pocket. I’m sure your family CFO would concur.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
The savings would enable one to rent a Plaid on Turo for many days a year...more on that later...
Yes, but what if you looked at it from being on the other end of the transaction? ;)

I have a 20 year old son that is about 80% physically disabled. He can drive safely, but not for long periods of time.

I'm actually buying the Plaid to set him up in his own business. I'll help him get an LLC going, and supply my Plaid and my Model 3 Performance to him as assets owned by the LLC, so he can depreciate them on the business's taxes. I'll have clean title on both, so I can sell both cars to him, have them titled in the business's name, and set him up on a zero percent "loan" to pay me back for them.

He is then going to rent out both cars on Turo. Yes, I know going into this that both cars will be subject to renter's abuse. It's unavoidable and part of "the business."

But it gives him an opportunity to actually have a job, make money, give him business experience.. basically, it gives him an opportunity to have some sort of a life other than just sitting in the house all day dealing with constant pain.

The entire family is backing him up on this... I'll teach him the keeping the books side of the business (I've owned small businesses before), and help with deliveries and pickups. The wife is going to handle logistics (we're getting a dedicated cell phone just for the business), and my daughter is going to handle vehicle cleaning. My son will pitch in as much as possible.

I'm not saying you need to go to this extreme, but renting your Plaid out on Turo a few days per month can really help take the sting out of the price difference between a LR and a Plaid, but you do need to understand that the car *will* be abused.

Last edited: