Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Plaid, or not to Plaid....that's a good question!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This reminds me of the spreadsheet I made for the Minister of Finance when I bought my first plane. Could not have worked out better, we used the snot out of it and when my wife said we needed a faster/bigger one, no spreadsheet was required!

Ironically, not getting the same level of warm fuzzy about buying a Tesla and I can’t be bothered to do a spreadsheet. I see a car as an extension of the personality that you bond with and enjoy. She sees it as a tool to be used until it’s worn to a nub, then only grudgingly replaced. That’s a hard hurdle, notwithstanding the fact it’s 2x more than any other car I’ve bought as someone else mentioned.

Best of luck OP, keep us posted!

Reactions: Phlier
I have posted this before. I have gas anxiety. I rotate through my motorcycles until they are all out of gas. I hate going out of my way to get gas.

I prefer my zero and plaid - full tank every morning. Not to mention my plaid is quicker than my ICE cars and motorcycles.

Nothing wrong with that! Seems like you know what you want, and don't have to justify your decision.

This thread was more about
This reminds me of the spreadsheet I made for the Minister of Finance when I bought my first plane. Could not have worked out better, we used the snot out of it and when my wife said we needed a faster/bigger one, no spreadsheet was required!

Ironically, not getting the same level of warm fuzzy about buying a Tesla and I can’t be bothered to do a spreadsheet. I see a car as an extension of the personality that you bond with and enjoy. She sees it as a tool to be used until it’s worn to a nub, then only grudgingly replaced. That’s a hard hurdle, notwithstanding the fact it’s 2x more than any other car I’ve bought as someone else mentioned.

Best of luck OP, keep us posted!

There is no way any S/S could have justified my last aircraft purchase. I just said I deserved it...

Turns out it paid dividends, lead to a research project at work and kept me employed for two weeks after I qualified for a pension and a golden boot.

You probably also deserve the Plaid - don’t overthink it! 😊

this is fun though, and kinda cool to see how many of us from different walks of life still go through the same routines.

Hmmm, talked about Tesla so much, she dared me to buy stock. It went up so she followed suit...

Now realized gains plus sale of the nose cone car would easily pay for plaid.

Maybe you have a point.

It's funny that you guys talk about Aircraft purchases like most buy cars.
I've been exposed to "that life" for about the last 10 yrs.
It's a whole new world.
I figure all you Aircraft aficionados would appreciate this:
I have a B client with 14 aircraft, 2 of which a re BBJ's, 2 Hawker xp990's , G550 and the list goes on.
He bought 7-8 Teslas on a whim when I took him for Rides in my 2014, 2015 S's and my 2016 S.

Must be nice.
Here's a snap from a few yrs ago next to his 1st BBJ. My white 85D and his 1st Red P85DL.
IMG_4338.JPG

Nothing wrong with that! Seems like you know what you want, and don't have to justify your decision.

This thread was more about

There is no way any S/S could have justified my last aircraft purchase. I just said I deserved it...

Turns out it paid dividends, lead to a research project at work and kept me employed for two weeks after I qualified for a pension and a golden boot.
Gotta love those golden boots! Certainly beats a golden shower!

It's funny that you guys talk about Aircraft purchases like most buy cars.
I've been exposed to "that life" for about the last 10 yrs.
It's a whole new world.
I figure all you Aircraft aficionados would appreciate this:
I have a B client with 14 aircraft, 2 of which a re BBJ's, 2 Hawker xp990's , G550 and the list goes on.
He bought 7-8 Teslas on a whim when I took him for Rides in my 2014, 2015 S's and my 2016 S.

Must be nice.
Here's a snap from a few yrs ago next to his 1st BBJ. My white 85D and his 1st Red P85DL.
View attachment 718617
Nice nose cones...but it makes the white car look fat...

True tidbit...I fly with a guy that used to be Elons chief pilot. I got the impression that there were lots of stories he could tell, but I never asked...

He flies a G5 for Hazard Frought now. They call for fuel like a 100 miles out,get the FBO's in a bidding war before they land...

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. Pretty much I have decided to go Plaid.

I got the impression that there were lots of stories he could tell, but I never asked...
For me, that's been one of the most rewarding parts of an aviation career that goes back to 1987... all of the stories/memories accumulated along the way.

After 18 years at a regional airline and 15 now at a major, I've been lucky enough to have collected a lifetime of amazing memories. So many that to this day, I'm still surprising my wife of 27 years with stories of things that happened long ago.

It's true that airline pilots of today don't make as much as they did before the airlines were de-regulated (my father was a pilot for Western Airlines, and they used to make "A Cadillac a month" -as was the Union mantra at the time-), it has still been an amazing, wonderful, and rewarding life. Can't believe I'm down to ten years left!

I'm so glad to hear that you've decided to go ahead and get the Plaid.

I hope you spend many happy years together!

Nice nose cones...but it makes the white car look fat...

True tidbit...I fly with a guy that used to be Elons chief pilot. I got the impression that there were lots of stories he could tell, but I never asked...

He flies a G5 for Hazard Frought now. They call for fuel like a 100 miles out,get the FBO's in a bidding war before they land...

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. Pretty much I have decided to go Plaid.
But does the CFO agree?! If not, doesn't matter what you decided! 😂

Congrats. Now, anyone have any guesses on depreciation for the next 3 years?

Well, last three years have been all over the place. For my car, low of 40K to now maybe 53K?

It's what really makes the spreadsheet data unreliable.

Going with the assumption that this will be the last car that I buy, so depreciation is something my estate can deal with.

I love my LR. First EV for me. I love the OTA updates. I love the speed. I love the looks. I was very torn over which model to order. I have had many cars and most of them have been very fast and luxurious.
About 7 years ago I bought a SL 550 in the same colors as my LR. Except the white interior was named anthracite black which was white with some black specs. Loved that car. Traded that in for an AMG-GTS. Loved the sound of that ICE car every time I started it up.
Last year my wife wanted to get an SL like I had owned. We went to the dealer and came home with an SL 450 (that model was not available when I bought my SL).
The car is slower than the 550 on the spec sheet but when I do drive it, it seems like the same car to me as the more expensive 550.
The point I am trying to make is that the faster SL was great but after owning it for awhile, I became so accustomed to the car that the bigger engine and extra speed became unappreciated.

This is what made me choose the LR. But today, as I was driving the LR, I realized the speed was no longer that special to me as I am accustomed to it now.
That got me thinking that maybe I should order a plaid. My wife might kill me though.
So my question to the plaid owners that have had their cars for a few months is this:
Does the speed of your plaid still excite you every time you drive the car or is it becoming second nature and just accepted.

I still love my LR and learn more about how amazing Teslas really are every day. Do you plaid owners feel like it was worth the extra money?

If the roadster was more than vaporware I definitely would have bought one. I just could not rationalize the extra money on the plaid when it is essentially the same car.

Btw: I pulled up next to a black/black plaid at a light yesterday (first plaid I have seen in person). The driver and I nodded to each other and he put his window down and said to me “that is first plaid I have seen on the road other than mine” I just laughed. Then he hit the accelerator and that was the last I saw of him.
Sorry for the long post. Just putting it out there.