Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To service, or not to service... that is the question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What yearly inspection?

What inspection company knows how to inspect a Tesla?
In MA all cars and light trucks are subject to a yearly inspection. The inspection centers are privately owned but subject to state rules and regulations. I bought my M3 in 2020. When it was first due for it's yearly inspection, I had to make an appointment because there was a limited number of inspection techs who were familiar with Teslas. As of this year, no appointments are necessary because all technicians are trained on Teslas
What yearly inspection?

What inspection company knows how to inspect a Tesla?

In MA all cars and light trucks are subject to a yearly inspection. The inspection centers are privately owned but subject to state rules and regulations. I bought my M3 in 2020. When it was first due for it's yearly inspection, I had to make an appointment because there was a limited number of inspection techs who were familiar with Teslas. As of this year, no appointments are necessary because all technicians are trained on Teslas

What in the world do they inspect, and how do they connect to the car?

Check this link found with a simple Google search. In short, they inspect basic safety items.

Thats what I thought. It's an emissions test. Illinois has that. However, as we know - there are no emissions in EV's, so we don't have to go here.

Sounds like an EV money grab in Mass.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
VCFRONT_a059_inputResistanceHigh is most likely benign, it’s on my 3 also and several other 3s.

The seat-buckle fault indicates a problem with the seatbelt buckle or possibly the wiring harness under the seat. It’s super easy to replace the buckle assembly, so if you wanted to avoid the trip you could just try ordering it and replacing it yourself to see if the alert goes away.

The center buckle connector is also right next to the right buckle connector, so you may be able to just swap them temporarily as a test (if they are the same connector). If the alert follows, it’s the buckle. If it stays with the center seat, it’s the harness.

Thats what I thought. It's an emissions test. Illinois has that. However, as we know - there are no emissions in EV's, so we don't have to go here.

Sounds like an EV money grab in Mass.
It's not an "EV money grab". In MA every car, EV or ICE, must be inspected once a year. On all cars they check the following things: tire wear, horn, headlights and their allignment, seat belts and seat belt warning lights, windshield integrity, and directional signals. I may have left out a few things in that list. On ICE cars they also check your exhaust emissions. Naturally they don't do this on EV's.

It's not an "EV money grab". In MA every car, EV or ICE, must be inspected once a year. On all cars they check the following things: tire wear, horn, headlights and their allignment, seat belts and seat belt warning lights, windshield integrity, and directional signals. I may have left out a few things in that list. On ICE cars they also check your exhaust emissions. Naturally they don't do this on EV's.

In one state they do these things.

In another state - they don't.

Emissions Testing - sure - reduce pollution.

Other checks? For what purpose? <--- is one state better than the next?

Oh well. To each his own.

Screenshot_20231003-130217-786.png

Seems like most of the Northeast states require regular inspections. Perhaps it's related to road salt usage in Winter, or perhaps there were some deadly car accidents caused by failed vehicle safety equipment.

I don't think I'd consider it a "money grab".

Reactions: zoomer0056
A couple more I can think of are brake lights, suspension wear and license plate condition. They found tie rod ends with excess play on one of our ICE cars that I probably would have noticed eventually(before catastrophic failure) but not before burning through some front tires. I take all our cars there, and they have come to recognize me and Stacy's Mom when we arrive every August. They may also cut me a little leeway because they know I'm a car guy and thank them if they find any issues rather than bitching. By no means should 'leeway' be taken as letting me drive off in an unsafe car. An example might be Stacy's Mom arriving with summer tires that are almost worn out(not to the treadwear bars, but certainly won't make another year) in August. I tell them during handover I know the tires are nearing end-of-life and will be replaced when the winter tires go on in October/November, and they are cool with that.

In the service menu of my Model 3 it says VCLEFT_a296_buckleFaultedRearC. See screenshot.

View attachment 978769

My basic warranty is up in about 400 miles, but the service center is 1.5 hours each way plus wait time.

Would you bring it in for service for this, or just let it go?
Absolutely bring it in, it’s actually a gift right before the warranty end to have a reason to bring it in
If you intend to keep the vehicle, quickly buy an extended warranty
Besides the error, ask them to do a deep dive “drive across the usa” trip check (white lie)
Hopefully they uncover nothing
But hope they find anything that might be hiding

And.. to answer back to the "money grab" opinions, let me throw in my own:

Back many a day ago, when working in upstate New York, I had this co-worker who happened to own a pick-up truck. The SO and I had found a couple of pretty heavy desks at a YMCA yard sale (they were cleaning out the place), and we needed to get the thing home. I asked the co-worker if I could borrow his truck and he very nicely agreed.

And then, the truck. One could look down through the floorboards and see the ground through cracks in the floor. Worse yet, when going over bumps, the front of the vehicle and the rear of the vehicle were not following the same trajectories, which scared the living #### out of me and made me slow 'way down.

The SO and I got the furniture moved without breaking anything (including that truck), and I returned the truck to the co-worker, with a very polite, "What the heck was that?" comment.

Interestingly enough, the vehicle was registered in Florida, where he had lived years and years ago. And he never updated the registration to NY because, well, if he had, the vehicle would have to be inspected. Which it would fail. And that meant money, in either getting it fixed (doubtful) or having to find another means of transportation. The fact that he was risking his life and that of every other person in and around the roads he drove the thing on never, I think, actually clicked with him.

In a way, there aren't a large percentage of types like that guy. But there's always some who, given the chance, will operate like that. Heck, when I was in the Navy and stationed in Norfolk, there were drivers on base with Florida tags for precisely that reason: No inspections on out-of-state vehicles. And, just for fun, two more factoids: When going to school in Indiana, I was regaled a tale by my SO's roommate where she and a collection of like-minded teenage idiots had been driving about in a car belonging to one of the idiots and there was a stench of gasoline present. Did anybody stop and go, "Jeez, gasoline is flammable! We should check that!" Nope. Instead, on a deserted country road, the engine compartment caught on fire, they parked and bailed and watched the vehicle burn to the ground. Pre cell-phone days, so they had to hike somewhere for help. Eventually.

As it happened, during my time in the USN, I actually had a permanent residence (my parents) up in Massachusetts. One year I went on leave (i.e., a vacation) during the summer and arrived in the dead of night. I was literally on my way to get the car inspected in an adjacent town the next morning when I got nabbed by the cops: They were picky about the inspection stickers, even back then. Some fast talking, display of my license, military ID, and leave papers got me out of a ticket, and the scribbled address of the shop the car was going to didn't hurt. Then, as now, in MA they were all about the safety: At the time, the EPA hadn't gotten that busy yet (before the clean air act). What they were after: tail lights, brakes, leaking fluids, alignment, broken suspension, and all that. Nice to see that the rules haven't really changed.

As for those states, including NJ, that don't do brake and general operational checks any more: They're just risking lives, not just of the drivers, but everybody else driving around or on foot nearby.

And you're not allowed to pump your own gas in NJ... for safety reasons. 😂

You can't pump your own gas? What kind of world is this changing into? Eventually you won't be allowed to plug in your Tesla.

There are too many people out there who are struggling to make it day to day and aren't as fortunate as those who can buy a Tesla. They are just trying to get from point A to point B as they have been doing for the past 40 years and NOW someone is going to tell them that they can't drive their car because the tires are too low or the suspension rattles too much in the only car they can afford.

I'm sorry, I know too many people financially suffering here in Chicago that would be devastated that they couldn't drive to work as they have been doing for the past 40 years. Having a car is eventually going to be a luxury only for those financially well off.

As I've stated before - to each their own.

This topic probably needs its own thread.

As for those states, including NJ, that don't do brake and general operational checks any more: They're just risking lives, not just of the drivers, but everybody else driving around or on foot nearby.
I can't speak for other states, but NJ does do brake and general operation inspection. Along with insurance and registration checks.
Waived for the first 5 years of new car ownership, for pre-1995 cars, and for EVs.

And you're not allowed to pump your own gas in NJ... for safety reasons. 😂

That is true, and weird as @#$%.
But also never enforced and routinely and widely ignored.

a

Last time I visited NJ and pulled into a gas station, there was an attendant already standing there waiting to pump my gas.

Since the stations are required to pump it for you, presumably they would all have attendants ready and waiting to operate the pumps.

How would one pump their own gas? In my sole NJ experience, "never enforced" turned out to not be true.

I can't speak for other states, but NJ does do brake and general operation inspection. Along with insurance and registration checks.
Waived for the first 5 years of new car ownership, for pre-1995 cars, and for EVs.

a
Maybe this have changed in recent years, but I visited years ago and there was someone pumping gas for me, so it seems to be enforced just fine? Or do you mean there are some people that insist on pumping their own gas and the attendants don't intervene?

Last edited:
Reactions: father_of_6
View attachment 979292

Seems like most of the Northeast states require regular inspections. Perhaps it's related to road salt usage in Winter, or perhaps there were some deadly car accidents caused by failed vehicle safety equipment.

I don't think I'd consider it a "money grab".
I am SHOCKED that my state, CA, doesn't have a (comprehensive) safety inspection program. Sure there are tire pressure checks when you bring your car in for some other work (Tesla mobile techs have always done this with my car), but to not have a periodic inspection for safety items like bald tires, bad brakes and inoperative lights just seems so... so... unprogressive.

Reactions: DocHolliday