Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Roadster Orphan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exactly. Would have been like saying get the P1. But point made not the less.
I agree with both you and @Onepointfive. The next-gen Roadster will be a dime a dozen at its price and performance. It’s an impossible comparison to the original Roadsters with their dwindling production numbers and their irreplaceable spot in automotive history.

Just a thought, wouldn’t that be kind of like saying back in 2011, ”Don’t buy a 1998 McLaren F1, just order the new 2012 MP4-12C”?View attachment 729360
Terrible analogy. Mclaren has always been a race team with niche, limited production super cars. Not a mass auto producer.

Ford might have been a better analogy with the GT. But in my opinion, the latest version of the GT is far more valuable than the previous versions.

Last edited:
I agree with both you and @Onepointfive. The next-gen Roadster will be a dime a dozen at its price and performance. It’s an impossible comparison to the original Roadsters with their dwindling production numbers and their irreplaceable spot in automotive history.
Dime a dozen? I assume you have data on the next-gen Roadster production numbers. Source?

Elon’s reference “Roadster will be the cherry on top” during Joe Rogan’s podcast doesn’t strike me a a high-volume production vehicle.

You might be right, you might be wrong. Without service, accessibility to custom parts, and a serviceable battery pack … you might experience the anemic appreciation of a DeLorean or a stranded asset all together.

Last edited:
Terrible analogy. Mclaren has always been a race team with niche, limited production super cars. Not a mass auto producer.

Ford might have been a better analogy with the GT. But in my opinion, the latest version of the GT is far more valuable than the previous versions.
Fine, have it your way (the original GT is the GT40):
73A30EC3-7A54-45B5-8883-7EAC861AAAB6.jpeg

Dime a dozen? I assume you have data on the next-gen Roadster production numbers. Source?

Elon’s reference “Roadster will be the cherry on top” during Joe Rogan’s podcast doesn’t strike me a a high-volume production vehicle.

You might be right, you might be wrong. Without service, accessibility to custom parts, and a serviceable battery pack … you might experience the anemic appreciation of a DeLorean or a stranded asset all together.
The original roadster was a limited production. There is nothing indicating the new roadster will be limited (in anything, pretty much). Anyone with the money will be able to buy one eventually. I have not heard the volume, but it won't be a limited production quantity/timeframe...

GT is a different car than the GT40. Vast majority of GT40s were race cars and not street legal.

Compare a 2005 to a 2018.
Nothing wrong with a 2005 ford example.
Produced just over 4000 units. Not sure how either of the stats below is a negative for the 1st gen roadster.
If they keep the second gen to half the 1st gen production, we can see similar markups to the 2017 gt. Haven’t heard anything about production targets for the 2nd gen roadster. I would assume if they said only 1000 will be made it would have been sold out long ago.

From car and driver : “ We have no details on what differentiates the two, other than the fact that only 1000 Founders Series models will be built.”. If that is correct it’s not likely to be a very limited production run.

2005 Ford GT Retail Prices
Trim MSRP Invoice
RWD $151,245 $137,506

Bring a trailer it goes for 400,000ish

When launched, the 2018 Ford GT had a starting price of $450,000.
Bring a trailer $950,000ish

Production December 2016 – 2022 (1,350 units planned

Last edited:
The original roadster was a limited production. There is nothing indicating the new roadster will be limited (in anything, pretty much). Anyone with the money will be able to buy one eventually. I have not heard the volume, but it won't be a limited production quantity/timeframe...

The fact that there were (still are?) 1,000 Founders Series slots for the 2nd gen reflects this. In contrast, there were only 27 1st gen Founders Editions.

What if they limit production to the same number as the original roadster? No reason to do this but it is Elon and he seems more sentimental than Henry, Louis, Kiichiro, William or Karl. More a Preston and John than the others and as such something he might actually do for no reason except that he is Elon.

What if they limit production to the same number as the original roadster? No reason to do this but it is Elon and he seems more sentimental than Henry, Louis, Kiichiro, William or Karl. More a Preston and John than the others and as such something he might actually do for no reason except that he is Elon.
Why would he? The original roadster was more of a proof of concept. This one is different. Once they have a production line, no reason not to build cars, especially if they can be profitable, and the biggest cost delta of it will be the battery size to get 600 miles range. It will be similar to the corvette, imo, smaller volume, mostly due to price, but an ongoing production.

I think Elon would rather have the new roadster available to anyone who wants one, at a price that allows Tesla to build more EVs (i.e. more profitable on a per battery basis than the others). More profit means more money to roll into more production lines, etc.

If he wanted to make a smaller volume, limited qty roadster, I think he would raise the price to $500K, have them hand made, and still sell probably 20K cars without a problem.

Why would he? The original roadster was more of a proof of concept. This one is different. Once they have a production line, no reason not to build cars, especially if they can be profitable, and the biggest cost delta of it will be the battery size to get 600 miles range. It will be similar to the corvette, imo, smaller volume, mostly due to price, but an ongoing production.

I think Elon would rather have the new roadster available to anyone who wants one, at a price that allows Tesla to build more EVs (i.e. more profitable on a per battery basis than the others). More profit means more money to roll into more production lines, etc.

If he wanted to make a smaller volume, limited qty roadster, I think he would raise the price to $500K, have them hand made, and still sell probably 20K cars without a problem.
The original S was a $50,000 car with 300 miles of range and was to be made in 2010. Hyperbole prevails. There is no way to know price, speed, range, year, number, or anything.

Back on subject, my 2010 will not be orphaned, and I do think the value will go up over time regardless if the new roadster.

I’m inclined to agree with most points that have been made here. Value for special cars like the McLaren F1 or Ford GT/GT40 are defined by production numbers and pedigree. The history and pedigree of the original Roadster is something I think we all agree is there, but its unclear if it will be valued the same as some of the other vehicles listed here (see previous posts here for context- Roadster Value: Collectibility, Originality, Rebuilt Roadsters and potential for Continuation Cars? )

To directly compare:
McLaren F1
Total production: 106
This was McLaren’s first road car and was THE fastest production vehicle of the 90’s and early 00’s. Several of these raced at and WON Le Mans in the mid/late 90’s. Some would consider the F1 the ultimate analog supercar, especially given its central driving position, 3 seat arrangement, manual transmission, and NA V12

Ford GT40
Total production: 100-200
This is arguably one of the most famous race cars, winning Le Mans on 4 consecutive occasions. A few “road cars” were made with no intent to be raced, but most GT40s were dedicated race cars designed to exceed 200mph on the Mulsanne straight. In the late 1960s….

2005/6 Ford GT
Total production: 4038
This homage to the GT40 was almost exclusively a road car, but still a very credible supercar compared with contemporary Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, etc…. These were $150k new and sell in the $250-500k range now

2017+ Ford GT
Total planned production: 1350
A modern street legal racing car. You have to be on Ford‘s special list to buy one and they make you sign a waiver promising not to resell it too soon. Incredible that Ford could make it street legal, but this doesn’t have the racing success that the GT40 or F1 had. $400k+ new, about $1m now

Original Tesla Roadster
Total production: ~2500 including founders editions and validation prototypes
Many automotive “firsts.” Obviously no racing/Le Mans history. I can see Roadsters easily reaching similar valuations to the 2005 Ford GT, especially given that they are more similar in production numbers. Roadsters will probably one day become million dollar cars, but I doubt they’ll ever sell for 8 figures the way special variants of the GT40 and McLaren F1 do, since those are substantially rarer and have outright Le Mans wins to their names.

I think the new Roadster will likely be a very credible competitor to modern super cars from Ferrari, McLaren, and Lamborghini, but won’t have the historical significance that the original carries.

I’d love to hear y’all’s thoughts….

BaT, let’s see.
Bid to 99.5k, RNM.
Moral of the story is don’t try to sell a wrapped car? Pull the wrap off before listing.
If anyone want’s the owners contact info, I have it. Not sure if he is on this forum.