Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Roadster Orphan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never said there were no benefits. Just that the cost for only a few who may upgrade may not outweigh them. As far as the number who may upgrade: I'm always amazed at the number of low mileage Roadsters for sale. I wonder how many bought them and hardly ever drove them. They probably wouldn't upgrade.
Folks like me who are happy with the current range and too cheap to pay more anyway wouldn't.
How many potential customers are left?
Batteries, sure. Everyone will eventually need to replace the. Aero upgrades, maybe not?
You are certainly correct. I would have had to see just how big the benefits were to shell out. I did get the original Chademo adapter, but Tesla made me disconnect it when I got the new battery (and I never really used it anyway). With the Chademo adapter probably on the track to fade into irrelevance, that might have been a waste too! My Roadster won't be low mileage when/if I sell. For 8.5 years (until a cell in my battery pack died), it was my 4 season car in VT (snow tires in the winter and my every day to work car). Now I don't put it through that torture, but with about 90K on it, I intend to drive it and get my money's worth and not let it be a hangar queen!

RNM at $90,500.
That auction is really interesting to me. To have 2,800 miles and a literally brand new R80 upgrade (installed September 2023), I thought for sure it would bring over $100k. My takeaway is that maybe prices are being driven by collectors that want to stash away cars with provenance (Founders/Signature series, Validation Prototypes, etc.), not enthusiasts that want to drive/share them with the world?

Why would a signature 100 sell for such a big premium over “normal” 1.5? It’s exactly the same car built at more or less the same time period give or take a few months. Elon probably added a couple of badges just so he can charge upfront for the car. I can understand paying a premium for special story / ownership history, but just for the sake of having badges? This makes zero sense to me. You don’t see anything like that in Porsche 911 pricing, for example. I believe this is a temporary arbitrage that smart buyers can take advantage of… what am I missing?

Why would a signature 100 sell for such a big premium over “normal” 1.5? It’s exactly the same car built at more or less the same time period give or take a few months. Elon probably added a couple of badges just so he can charge upfront for the car. I can understand paying a premium for special story / ownership history, but just for the sake of having badges? This makes zero sense to me. You don’t see anything like that in Porsche 911 pricing, for example. I believe this is a temporary arbitrage that smart buyers can take advantage of… what am I missing?
The Roadster is becoming valuable to collectors. They need to have one in order to fill out their collections. They are no longer just old cars.
Like with all collectables (coins, stamps, art, etc), things that make a particular item particularly unique or stand out tend to make them more valuable to those who want to have a collection. eg. a 1909 SVDB penny has no more copper in it than a 1960 S penny, yet, because it was minted in 1909, the first year for the Lincoln penny and was one of the few minted in San Francisco (the "S") and was one of the few that carried the designer's initials ("VDB"), it is worth a whole lot more.
There are only about a dozen founders series or VP Roadsters so they'll be more valuable than the 100 "Signature 100" ones. The 500 1.5's will probably be more valuable than the 2.0's and so forth. Those with other special features such as Factory custom colors or "Franz" specials, will also be more valuable than ordinary ones.

Reactions: eHorses
I understand from a purely logical perspective where you are coming from, but I think it’s hyperbole to say that the only difference is some badges. I can put signature badges on any car but I can’t make that car one of the first 100 built if it wasn’t (using that number as a place holder here, I don’t think that’s exactly accurate). I also find it hard to believe that if I found some version of an older 911 that the first 100 made that year had special badging to commemorate some occasion (regardless of whether any mechanical differences existed), that those cars wouldn’t command a premium over the normal production run of that year. Just my 2 cents though, I have no evidence to back that feeling.

On the other hand I don’t disagree that most of what we are seeing with the short term pricing trend is a result of short/mid-term macro market conditions. I was just trying to pull some nuance from that auction since it differed quite a bit from the other recent Roadsters that have run through. I would be interested in others speculation on this topic though... Based on what else we've seen, how would that auction change if that 2008 1.5 with 2,800 miles and a brand new R80 upgrade was Signature number 008X instead of production number 0184?

I think it’s hyperbole to say that the only difference is some badges. I can put signature badges on any car but I can’t make that car one of the first 100 built if it wasn’t (using that number as a place holder here, I don’t think that’s exactly accurate).
It isn't just the badge. It is the VIN with only 2 least-significant digits. Even more is the fact that that particular car was paid for ($100K) by a visionary (or whacko?) in July or August of 2006. The risk was enormous since it was from a company who had never built a car before, using a technology that all of the automotive experts said wouldn't work.
Those first 100 cars had that. Later 1.5 cars only required about $30K downpayment, a much smaller risk although a whole lot more than recent Model 3, Y, or CT reservation costs.
beyond about VIN 450 was after Tesla had actually started delivering cars so they don't embody as much risk.

That auction is really interesting to me. To have 2,800 miles and a literally brand new R80 upgrade (installed September 2023), I thought for sure it would bring over $100k. My takeaway is that maybe prices are being driven by collectors that want to stash away cars with provenance (Founders/Signature series, Validation Prototypes, etc.), not enthusiasts that want to drive/share them with the world?
In general, I think we’re seeing a gun-shy “fun car” buyer due to the macro picture. In addition, there are more Roadsters listed for sale thru listing services and “send me an offer”. This has a negative affect on the supply and demand equation. However, I believe there are roadster buyers out there willing to set new sale records if their “right” car comes up for sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: hsull8915
Marketing to the car enthusiasts has a huge premium. Porsche is the poster child for doing this with their “Limited Edition” 911 releases. Often, the only different from normal 911 to LE are limited available paint colors and badging. They know how to play up to the egos of their buyers and collectors to be able to say “it’s 1 of XXX made” at cars and coffee.
The Roadster is becoming valuable to collectors. They need to have one in order to fill out their collections. They are no longer just old cars.
Like with all collectables (coins, stamps, art, etc), things that make a particular item particularly unique or stand out tend to make them more valuable to those who want to have a collection. eg. a 1909 SVDB penny has no more copper in it than a 1960 S penny, yet, because it was minted in 1909, the first year for the Lincoln penny and was one of the few minted in San Francisco (the "S") and was one of the few that carried the designer's initials ("VDB"), it is worth a whole lot more.
There are only about a dozen founders series or VP Roadsters so they'll be more valuable than the 100 "Signature 100" ones. The 500 1.5's will probably be more valuable than the 2.0's and so forth. Those with other special features such as Factory custom colors or "Franz" specials, will also be more valuable than ordinary ones.
💯agree, collectors want rare shiny/mint objects with a special story to tell.

Reactions: hsull8915
Porsche “design” limited editions never sell at a premium. Take for example “911 Edition 50 Years Porsche Design” which is a targa gts with special badges that was announced in 2022. You can still get these new at MSRP… yet barley no one can get their hands on the recently announced 911s/t

This is the first time I’ve seen Hagerty list an OG roadster for auction. It’s a positive sign if ICE/Hagerty car collectors are more receptive to EVs as collectibles.
IMG_2043.jpeg

Vin #478 is looking for a good home. Currently at 41k with less than 3hrs to go.
Description
Named after genius inventor Nikola Tesla, Tesla Motors, Inc. helped pioneer automobile lithium-ion battery technology upon their founding in California in 2003. With a heavy focus on the ideal automotive battery, Tesla chose not to start from scratch for the chassis itself but rather turned to famous British carmaker Lotus, specifically for the brilliant bonded extruded aluminum chassis from the Elise sports car. Tesla would soon place an order for 2,500 completed cars minus the powertrain which were shipped to California for final assembly and distribution by Tesla. Launched with a price of nearly $100,000, the Tesla Roadster was among the first to provied customers the experience of maximum instant torque which meant that zero to 60 miles per hour happened around 3.9 seconds, nearly a second quicker than the Elise. After its debut at the San Francisco Auto Show in November 2006, the first 100 cars were sold in just three weeks. Now one of the world’s most well-known automakers, Tesla has undoubtedly established itself as a pioneer in Electric Vehicles and remains the best-selling EV automaker.

As a single-owner example displaying merely a few thousand miles at the time of cataloging, this example provides customers with an unprecedented opportunity to acquire the car that started it all for Tesla. With the incredible success of the brand, these models, particularly single-owner low-mileage examples such as this Roadster provide not only a totally unique driving experience but also what many anticipate to be incredible future investment potential as predicted in Hagerty’s 2022 Bull Market List.

Highlights

Offered from single-family ownership with 5,453 miles at the time of cataloging
Protected by paint protection film from new in many crucial areas along the front fascia
The battery was replaced around 2015, current reading shows 85% battery life
Finished in a vibrant Very Orange exterior over a premium leather Orange interior complete with carbon fiber trim