Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Roadster Orphan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2008 TESLA Roadster
Asking $150,000
Highland, UT
24,500 Miles
VIN 136

Description (from listing)
One of the very first Tesla Vehicles every made! This vin number 136 has an included Carbon Fiber hard top - as well as an easy to remove cloth soft top. The 53kWh battery has about 200 miles of driving range. And includes a wall charger. This Original Roadster has been owned by the JerryRigEverything YouTube channel for the past 6 years. And all of the proceeds of the sale will go towards wheelchair manufacturing equipment.

Attachments

• 1694367413390-P1001759.jpeg
    1694367413390-P1001759.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: eHorses and pharma5
Interesting listing on bringatrailer.com. This one has been owned by The Petersen Auto Museum since 2017:
Just listed and already bids over $100k, should be fun to watch!

Interesting listing on bringatrailer.com. This one has been owned by The Petersen Auto Museum since 2017:
Thanks for sharing!

BAT listed as "Racing Green", however it is Signature Green based on the pics/video and also prior posts on sig#77 exhibited at Petersen:
Roadster History North America

Current bid $169,420 w 4 days remaining, def interesting to watch...

• Informative
Reactions: eHorses
2010 Tesla Roadster Sport
2010-tesla-roadster-sport-2dr-convertible.jpg

VIN: 559
Mileage: 6,718
R80 upgrade

Description
2010 Tesla Roadster Sport 3.0 Convertible with Upgraded battery (400 miles range,) Very Orange over Orange/Black executive leather w/ carbon package, 2nd owner, original 6,718 miles, clean title, no accident, clean carfax history, all power, service records, too much to list, near perfect condition, drives like new, $199,000.

• Love
Reactions: eHorses
Sold for $220,420.
Screenshot_20231006_180133_Samsung Internet.jpg

2010 Tesla Roadster Sport
View attachment 979634
VIN: 559
Mileage: 6,718
R80 upgrade

Description
2010 Tesla Roadster Sport 3.0 Convertible with Upgraded battery (400 miles range,) Very Orange over Orange/Black executive leather w/ carbon package, 2nd owner, original 6,718 miles, clean title, no accident, clean carfax history, all power, service records, too much to list, near perfect condition, drives like new, $199,000.

My 2.5 Sport with the v2 3.0 battery will report > 300 miles range when fully charged, but 400? Maybe if you drive 25 mph

Reactions: MCroadster
My 2.5 Sport with the v2 3.0 battery will report > 300 miles range when fully charged, but 400? Maybe if you drive 25 mph
I 💯 agree. I think the 400miles range was very old and optimistic figures that Tesla had put out back in 2015 to promote the 3.0 package(R80 ESS with improved aero and wheel bearings). They did a blog coverage of a drive in CA to show that but nothing more. It was a smoke dream because only the R80 ESS made it to customers.

I 💯 agree. I think the 400miles range was very old and optimistic figures that Tesla had put out back in 2015 to promote the 3.0 package(R80 ESS with improved aero and wheel bearings). They did a blog coverage of a drive in CA to show that but nothing more. It was a smoke dream because only the R80 ESS made it to customers.
Yes, I remember that promise. Since there was a guy out there who did his own aerodynamic mods after extensive design and testing and claimed heimproved range greatly before the v3.0, I was (at the time) pretty optimistic Tesla would come through and adopt a number of those...but of course, Musk got distracted!) It's just funny they put in an error that can be checked so easily by just charging the car in range mode and reading out what is says! ;)

400 miles in a Roadster is not something to strive for any more than 8 hours on the rack.
After 200 miles, one is ready for a good stretch. Its a fun car but not for long drives (sprinter, not marathon).
I can see why Musk (and probably others) decided the benefit did not justify the cost.

400 miles in a Roadster is not something to strive for any more than 8 hours on the rack.
After 200 miles, one is ready for a good stretch. Its a fun car but not for long drives (sprinter, not marathon).
I can see why Musk (and probably others) decided the benefit did not justify the cost.
As someone who did 24 hr straight through drives between Miami and Holland, PA in college, I know driving 400 miles or more without a break isn't a great idea, but when you don't have a supercharging option, increasing the range you can drive out to a destination and back home without a charge is always appreciated.

As someone who did 24 hr straight through drives between Miami and Holland, PA in college, I know driving 400 miles or more without a break isn't a great idea, but when you don't have a supercharging option, increasing the range you can drive out to a destination and back home without a charge is always appreciated.
I never said there were no benefits. Just that the cost for only a few who may upgrade may not outweigh them. As far as the number who may upgrade: I'm always amazed at the number of low mileage Roadsters for sale. I wonder how many bought them and hardly ever drove them. They probably wouldn't upgrade.
Folks like me who are happy with the current range and too cheap to pay more anyway wouldn't.
How many potential customers are left?
Batteries, sure. Everyone will eventually need to replace the. Aero upgrades, maybe not?

Reactions: ViperDoc
It’s BS about the 2016/2017 era R80 packs failing like mine was. Way to sell owners on an “upgrade” on a battery pack that lasted 5 years instead of 15 like some of the OG ones.
Such is reality when we buy a bargain-basement product like, unfortunately, a $30K low-volume replacement is. The OG ones had a lot more investment in them and would cost a lot more than $30K in the small quantities.

Sig 74 was a tough act to follow, low VIN and low miles. Even so, not many white ones out there lately... seems like it should do better. $85k feels like pricing of 11-12 years ago.
Roadsters like vin1227, sig74, VP22, sig77, and others are still driving up the CMB to 116K according to this tracker:

These cars are just starting to get the attention of serious enthusiasts and collectors. Gone are the days of 44k for low milage and fully optioned mint roadster sport, vin642.
I believe vin642, like vin1227, would have sold for close to its MSRP, 155-160k, if it was auctioned in 2021.
The hockey stick climb in pricing has soften but I think the trend is still very positive. I believe there’s still a lot of buyers wanting to get into one. The savvy buyers, like @hsull8915 -congrats again on vin1418, will pounce when they see an appropriately priced roadster. It will be interesting to see how many owners “need to or want to” sale in this soften market.