Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toll Tag question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All -

I was wondering where Tesla recommends mounting a toll tag on the Model X. Before I took delivery of my Model S, my DS mentioned that the windshield was not able to support (in a technical sense) a traditional windshield-mounted SunPass for Florida toll roads. He had me pick-up an internal transponder from the SunPass service center and he installed it behind my grille. I love not having it on the windshield but as we wait for my wife's Model X to be delivered, I am curious what they recommend as the optimal mounting location since there is no removable grille on the X.

Thanks!

I experimented with this yesterday on 3 bridge tolls (Fastrak in SF). I just placed the transponder on the dash right in the middle near the edge. It worked 3/3 times. So I just keep it in the tray and place it on the dash as I approach the toll reader.

FWIW, my local custom car guy Dan at Walnut Creek Customs has worked on a few X so far (...and a whole lot of S) in conjunction with Joe at OCDetailing. Dan says that the X windshield does not seem to suffer from the myriad issues with respect to FasTrak/SunPass/EZ Pass transponders like the S do. He says that there must be a different sun shielding process in the X. I know that the S has had several generations of windshields, some with the dotted area to the side of the inside mirror, some without, some pre-TACC/Autopilot cars and some with. I have been through the drill on both of our cars (with interior transponders, exterior ones, transponders behind the nose cone, etc, etc) with some semblance of stability now. YMMV.

I just got my MX and live in FL. The SC said right under the rear view mirror should work, and I just tried that with the suction cup versions of Sunpass and it worked fine. Just got the mini transponder to stick in the same place, assuming that will work as well.

Just to the right of the rearview mirror works every time (10,000 miles CT to Florida)

DSCN3958.JPG

So excited to try my work garage door tag now in the windsheild soon. Never worked on our Model S, would have to roll down window and hold arm out over windshield or open the pano roof and hold up (won't have that option in X). Hopefully back to normal again and just being able to drive in. Glad they fixed this.