Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took a test drive - Need to better understand Blind Spot warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test drove a 68xxx series dual motor, non-perfomance. Delightful experience. Test drives are of course solo right now due to C19. They gave me 1/2 hour so I was able to exercise the car on both the freeway and residential roads.

I was trying to observe how the blind spot warning system works. The only indication were some curved lines on the display when a car was in my blind spot. I was expecting an audible indication.

I checked the manual and did not see anything about turning on an audible indicator. Such a feature may get annoying, but I'm not sure how well the rather subtle indicator would work for me. If you begin a lane change with an adjacent car in the blind spot would you then receive a warning?

(from the manual)
When an object is detected in your blind spot or near the side of Model Y (such as a vehicle, guard rail, etc.), the touchscreen displays colored lines radiating from the image of your vehicle. The location of the lines correspond to the location of the detected object. The color of the lines (white, yellow, orange, or red) represent the object's proximity to Model Y, with white being the farthest and red being the closest and requiring your immediate attention. These colored lines only display when driving between approximately 7 and 85 mph (12 and 140 km/h). When Autosteer is active, these colored lines also display if driving slower than 7 mph (12 km/h). However, the colored lines do not display if Model Y is at a standstill (for example, in heavy traffic)

Tesla does not (yet) offer blind spot monitoring with cross traffic alert warning. Re the manual; when you are parking the proximity sensors will display colored curved lines radiating from the corner of the vehicle that is closest to the obstacle.

Upcoming Features: https://www.notateslaapp.com/software-updates/upcoming-features?src=right-promo
See Blind Spot Cameras, Cross Traffic Warning. These features have not yet been implemented

Reactions: CoastalCruiser
The current version of Blind Spot Warning is not so reliable. It only warns when it is too close and that also in the center screen where the approaching vehicle turns to red. It is not really Active Blind Spot Monitoring where the amber light lights up in the side mirrors whenever there is a vehicle in your blind spot.

A workaround is to drive with the repeater cameras showing but then you won't be able to see the map.

Last edited:
If you begin a lane change with an adjacent car in the blind spot would you then receive a warning?
Correct, only once you actually try to steer into the other lane (and vehicle...) you'll get a loud double beep warning. I really would have preferred a (not as loud) warning at the moment you use the indicator, same as just about any other vehicle out there.

The current version of Blind Spot Warning is not so reliable.

It is not really Active Blind Spot Monitoring where the amber light lights up in the side mirrors whenever there is a vehicle in your blind spot.

So, in your view, the only "Active Blind Spot Monitoring" is that which uses amber lights in the side mirrors? Methinks your definition is too narrow.

Reactions: laservet
So, in your view, the only "Active Blind Spot Monitoring" is that which uses amber lights in the side mirrors? Methinks your definition is too narrow.
My 2011 Ford Fusion and my 2017 Chevrolet Volt had similar blind spot monitoring with cross traffic alert technology. The amber light in the side mirror was just the indicator. The radar technology employed in this safety feature enabled my Volt to alert me to cross traffic both in a parking lot and from as far away as 50 yards when backing out of my driveway. While the blind spot warning was useful I found the cross traffic alert to be just as if not more important. Tesla designers seem to favor backing into garages, parking spaces but that is not how I roll.

Last edited:
The current version is to see nearby vehicles visualized on the screen. I'm pretty sure that, if you turn on a blinker to change lanes and there is a car in the destination lane, the visualization of that car will turn red.
Turns red AND it does give you a warning. I know this because when I was doing a road trip and in Dallas, I had to get off an overpass and into the right lane for an exit and there was a blind spot I didn’t see someone, and it made a very loud alert.

It doesn't have to be amber light in the mirror, there should be some way to let the driver know that there are vehicles in the blind spots. Tesla could achieve this by showing more vehicles behind in the visualization and maybe in a different color. I think the FSD Beta shows more than the current one and if it makes to all cars, it would do better.

I also wish there was an option to move the repeater cameras above the rear camera view and that way we can slide it down and still see maps. Having that view popup automatically with the turn signal on would also be nice.

It doesn't have to be amber light in the mirror, there should be some way to let the driver know that there are vehicles in the blind spots. Tesla could achieve this by showing more vehicles behind in the visualization and maybe in a different color. I think the FSD Beta shows more than the current one and if it makes to all cars, it would do better.

I also wish there was an option to move the repeater cameras above the rear camera view and that way we can slide it down and still see maps. Having that view popup automatically with the turn signal on would also be nice.

Agree that visualization could be improved (and FSD will certainly do so). But, it's important to point out that if you use your turn signal to propose a lane change and there's another car in that adjacent lane, you will indeed find out the adjacent lane warning system to be quite robust. On the other hand, if you are in the habit of making lane changes without signaling, it's on you to look.

When you get FSD, you request a lane change, and the car will do it automatically when it is clear.
I believe Tesla is the only company offering that system so far.

The Audible System works this way, start to change lanes and listen for the horn blasts or profanities from the driver you nearly ran into.

I'm a fan of the high end 'seat shaker' car seats. It tells you which side is in danger without a glance.

Agree that visualization could be improved (and FSD will certainly do so). But, it's important to point out that if you use your turn signal to propose a lane change and there's another car in that adjacent lane, you will indeed find out the adjacent lane warning system to be quite robust. On the other hand, if you are in the habit of making lane changes without signaling, it's on you to look.

but that's exactly it. Even with FSD, no warning comes up when you are looking to change lane, only when you take some action.

With standard Lane change warning, those amber lights on your side mirrors already warns you about blind spots if there is a car there. You won't even attempt to signal when you glance at the mirror.

Tesla could use some improvements here. Maybe an Amber box that shows up speedometer, something, anything, before you make the actual move.

In my experience, the warning comes too late for my comfort level. I wish there was a sensitivity setting where I could set it to Early.

The cross-traffic alert in the Chevy Volt will display a warning on the Driver's Information Console, indicate the direction of travel for any approaching vehicle. This is very helpful when backing out of a parking space or from a driveway. The side repeater cameras on the Tesla backup camera view are not a good substitute for radar-based cross traffic monitoring.