Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torn passenger door seal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
267EBFF6-B5AB-4B5E-9D63-5E92FD2CC8A0.jpeg
Anyone ever seen something like this?

It’s the front passenger door seal. At first glance it looks like some malicious damage, but we seldom use the window and only my wife and I ever drive the car. In testing now when I raise the window to close it tends to grab and expose the seal now where it’s cut. I called and got a service appt and hoping they will cover it. The car was in for service a few weeks ago and I am now wondering if there’s any chance it was damaged then

Perhaps a flaw in the window glass? Something sharp punctured the rubber then tore it. Vandals still come to mind first as I once picked up a screwdriver by the curb thinking that it was lost from a parked vehicle. It was used to pierce the sheet metal of car doors near the lock assembly for easy break in. They hit as many cars as they could on that street testing for easy entry.

Once the rubber seal is replaced consider applying silicone to keep it pliable. Repair may require an insurance claim if vandals were the cause.

Exact same thing happened with mine. Not malicious afaik. Started out as a small crack, Arizona sun and window up/down made it huge and would catch on the window. Service center replaced under "Goodwill".
Thanks. You are the 1st one I’ve found who seems to have had a similar issue. As you can see from my pic, it apparently gets pretty bad after a while
We only discovered it by seeing the seal flapping once the window was rolled back up

I have the same problem and they are quoting me $117 seal and $150 labor. Totaling $290.69 including tax.

I wonder how hard this would be to just replace myself. I'm pretty handy but can't find any guides on it or people who did it before.

I found this link though: Seal - Body - Side - Front - Primary - LH (Remove and Replace)

View attachment 596897

Difference appears to be in our tax rates, so at least Tesla is consistent.

I've very handy, and I still don't want to tackle this one because it looks like it requires removal of the exterior portion of the B-pillar trim (and possibly interior to get to the exterior).

Yeah, I was reading that too. It looks like some adhesive needs removing from behind the B pillar. Although it seems like a straightforward job, I just don't have the required adhesive for the installation. Might be just better to have them take care of it all. According to their hourly rate and charge, it should take them 45-60 minutes to complete the job.

I heard that applying silicon on the rubber around the windows helps a lot with winter and freezing, and I bet it helps with this kind of issue as well. I'm going to check on Amazon for some but any recommendation on that?

Yeah, I was reading that too. It looks like some adhesive needs removing from behind the B pillar. Although it seems like a straightforward job, I just don't have the required adhesive for the installation. Might be just better to have them take care of it all. According to their hourly rate and charge, it should take them 45-60 minutes to complete the job.

I heard that applying silicon on the rubber around the windows helps a lot with winter and freezing, and I bet it helps with this kind of issue as well. I'm going to check on Amazon for some but any recommendation on that?
I was looking to get this: https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-811...ealant+pillar+trim&qid=1602255572&sr=8-6&th=1

Not unless you want to GLUE your window to the rubber seal. That's what that stuff is designed for.

Silicone is silicone, run down to your local autozone and ask one of their guys what they recommend. The products have been around so long that I would bet only 2 companies in the world make them, and everyone just re-brands the same stuff.