Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto to Tobermory trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to go to Tobermory ON from Toronto, stay 2 nights in a hotel (with some driving around), then go to Manitoulin island and from there go to Sudbury and return back to Toronto.

On the way there I can charge at Owen Sound Supercharger and there is a supercharger in Sudbury on the way back.

However, I cannot find any place to charge in Tobermory. I have MX 75D and I don't think I'll get enough charge at Owen Sound even if I charge to 100% there.

Ideally, it would be great to charge at a hotel in Tobermory, however, I can't find any that would offer charging. No Tesla's Destination Charging and there is nothing in PlugShare that I can see.

So I'm wondering if anybody did such a trip and hopefully can recommend a hotel that would allow charging or any other solution.

Thank you!

I'm a Haweater and visit on occasion - an option you could look into is all the marina charging options in South Baymouth, Gore Bay or Little Current. I think they use L5-30 plugs. Haven't done it myself but I think that's what they use.

Here's a bender - NEMA L5-30P (120V) Twist-Lock to 14-50R Adapter

Besides that, mrElbe has it nailed. 120v in the summer isn't so bad for overnight charging. 5 km/hr for 10-12 hours adds up.

I'm a Haweater and visit on occasion - an option you could look into is all the marina charging options in South Baymouth, Gore Bay or Little Current. I think they use L5-30 plugs. Haven't done it myself but I think that's what they use.

Here's a bender - NEMA L5-30P (120V) Twist-Lock to 14-50R Adapter

Besides that, mrElbe has it nailed. 120v in the summer isn't so bad for overnight charging. 5 km/hr for 10-12 hours adds up.

Also, even that the direct route between Owen Sound and Sudbury is about 300km, I was planning to stay at Tobermory for a couple days and drive around.
Charging at 120V is not an option, as 40-50 km per night is too little - I would drive more than that during my stay at Tobermory. Cannot comfortably rely on this type of charging...

Marina charging - that's interesting. Will need to look at that... Thank you!

There are a half dozen RV camps in Tobermory that have 14-50's which will get you a decent reserve. I know nothing about any of them. I only saw them because i am going from Sudbury to Thunder Bay and on to points west in a weeks time, so i have been looking at every charging option in Northwest Ontario. I'm in a Model 3 so I'll not have CHAdeMO.
FWIW, I'm going Halifax-Victoria on the Trans Canada Highway, weather permitting.

Reactions: MarcoRP
Another option is if your hotel has laundry you could use a 30 ft RV extension cord like https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-55194-P...&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+extension+cord+14-50&th=1, which we should all have if we're driving off the SC network, and see if you can park near it and tap in for a few hours.

You can cut the neutral so it works with either a stove or a dryer (14-50 and 14-30) Needs must as an electric car owner! ;)

Another option is if your hotel has laundry you could use a 30 ft RV extension cord like https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-55194-Power-Grip-Extension/dp/B0024ECIP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535501676&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+extension+cord+14-50&th=1, which we should all have if we're driving off the SC network, and see if you can park near it and tap in for a few hours.

You can cut the neutral so it works with either a stove or a dryer (14-50 and 14-30) Needs must as an electric car owner! ;)
And don’t forget you can wash your clothes while waiting but don’t forget to empty your pockets of cash otherwise you’d be money laundering! Lol!

Another option is if your hotel has laundry you could use a 30 ft RV extension cord like...

I assume we all know this, but while workable, never, ever EVER do this without asking permission. Same for hanging cords out of windows from air conditioner plugs and the like. That would be extremely poor etiquette and would cast us EV drivers in a bad light.