Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torquelift Central Model S Eco Hitch Installation Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Torquelift Central Model S Eco Hitch. I installed this Friday Morning. Took about 5 hrs total, but had no lift or ramps to use at the time, so what took the most time was trying to get far enough under to remove and install the bolts for the under panels. If doing it again, I am confident that I could do it in less then a hour with ramps or a lift.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the detailed video. First video I have seen showing how to remove the body - very usefull information. Glad to see you mentioning that such detailed instructions are included too. I am a little more confident on trying this myself now. Do you think if i borrow some ramps that would be good enough to work under?

Thanks for the detailed video. First video I have seen showing how to remove the body - very usefull information. Glad to see you mentioning that such detailed instructions are included too. I am a little more confident on trying this myself now. Do you think if i borrow some ramps that would be good enough to work under?
Yes, but make sure they are sturdy and designed for the weight vehicle that the Model S is, I usually use Rhino Ramps, the BIGGER ones, mine are rated at 12,000 Lbs/set (I use mine for changing the fork lifts oil, yes, sadly, our forklift has a ICE, though, only gets used 30 mintues/month when unloading cycle crates).

I just did not have my ramps with me this weekend, combination of forgot and did not have enough room in the car anyways. So thats why I pulled it over the ledge. Ramps or a lift would have made it 100x easier. The hardest part was reaching the bolts underneath the car tword the front. The two Hex Screws were a bit of a pain, especially since they were in a opposite spot then what the printed guide "appeared" to show for location (The black and while images are very hard to read, I had a PDF copy as well in full color, without that it would have taken MUCH longer to install!).

What's your opinion on page 116 of the current Model S Owner's Manual?
Warning: Do not tow a trailer. Model S does not support a trailer hitch. Installing one could damage Model S and increase the risk of an accident.
The risk seems to be low since many people have installed a hitch and I haven't heard of any issues. I'm guessing Tesla is just playing it safe by giving the warning for something they haven't tested that could be installed badly by a third party or used incorrectly.

What's your opinion on page 116 of the current Model S Owner's Manual?

The risk seems to be low since many people have installed a hitch and I haven't heard of any issues. I'm guessing Tesla is just playing it safe by giving the warning for something they haven't tested that could be installed badly by a third party or used incorrectly.

If damage results from use of the trailer hitch, then warranty would have issues. This would need to be proven that damage or failure was due to having a hitch or use of a hitch.

I'm not too concerned. I'm not doing heavy weight towing. I will be hauling my Trains around in a small trailer, a moped here or their for delivery, and hopefully a Teardrop camper once I have some funds saved up to purchase one.

Lets put it this way, I have a old Nissan CUBE (Will be selling it soon), Put a hitch on that vehicle a few years back. Towed a 1,200Lbs trailer, on a 5,000 mile road trip, with no issue what so ever. It even had the CVT Transmission. MPG did drop, dropped down to 27-30MPG from 30-32MPG :) And that car is VERY light weight.

In fact, It's mostly liability in my opinion. The Nissan CUBE's owner manual says no towing in the USA. In Europe, it has a 1,500Lbs towing capacity.

By the way, Islandbayy, you may want to have your alignment checked. You have inside edge wear on your rear tires. The left side grooves are almost gone and the right side looks almost completely gone. You'll go right down to the cords (and then a flat eventually) if you don't do anything about it.

bald01.png

bald02.png

By the way, Islandbayy, you may want to have your alignment checked. You have inside edge wear on your rear tires. The left side grooves are almost gone and the right side looks almost completely gone. You'll go right down to the cords (and then a flat eventually) if you don't do anything about it.

View attachment 51250

View attachment 51251

I know, alignment is wayyy off. But held off as I was due for tires anyways. Got them last week Tuesday. The tire shop wouldn't do the alignment though (I was ok with that, as I had someone in mind that does them perfect every time), and I am getting the alignment done most likely this Thursday.