Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Solar Eclipse - Aug 21, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging at a public charger in Lebanon,Oregon during total eclipse. Took photo with a cellphone, so the corona is a white blob :)

IMG_20170821_101724.jpg

Last edited:
We went to Great Smoky Mountain National Park and to top of Look Rock Observation Tower (near Maryville, TN). Model S did great. Got several stunning photos (example below). Yes, I really did take the photo myself. Nikon D7000 with 300 mm telephoto lens, 1/250 sec., iso 1250 f6.3. Some stars visible.
DSC_7791.JPG

BTW, there are high speed chargers (chademo, CCS) on both ends of Rte 441 in national park now, but you will probably need an RFID chip card(Greenlots) to charge, as there is little or no cell phone coverage there, and credit cards are "iffy"...

When I saw the 1991 eclipse in Mexico, the small town was basically deserted. After the eclipse was over I asked a local why nobody was around and they said the church told them to stay indoors because they risked becoming sterile if they looked at it...

Yeah, for 1991 we set up our cameras in a baseball field next to a chicken farm south of Mazatlan. The farmers thought we were crazy. They hid under the trees for the entire eclipse. The government was really good at warning everybody about the eclipse through all available media. "It's not Quetzalcoatl eating the sun. It won't hurt you. Just don't look at it." The nuanced version "don't look at the partial phases without eclipse glasses" they didn't even attempt, presumably because they would have to explain what "partial phases" were, and distribute eclipse glasses.

As long as I'm going to produce a milestone post*, I'm jiggered if it's going to be cracking the whip in some Mod-mode, so......

...as some of you reading this know, for bittersweet reasons I could not fulfill a year-long plan and join others to plop myself down in the path of totality.

So we placated ourselves by watching a 74% eclipse with the sun filter on my Dob. I didn't even consider taking photos - too many tens or hundreds of thousands others doing that - ¿why add to the pile? (Besides, no totality).

Anyhoooooo.....I already "had" my total eclipse. On Mt. Desert Island on July 20, 1963. And yes, I remember it well, cuz I was [deleted] years old. I did, though, have to google the exact date.

:cool:

*100 Teslapoints for whoever first points out the obvious. But hurry! ;)

• Love
Reactions: MitchMitch
Yes literally the same picture, just with different contrast enhancement. Actually the raw image is a stack of 10 back-to-back exposures.

I used MaxIm DL software. My company makes it. The same software operated the camera for me during totality.

I took a photo that looked almost exactly like yours with the corona. I was hoping that there was something simple I could do to filter out the corona part which I'm guessing is essentially what you did. I see that you are way ahead of me and my 10 year old camera and zoom lens.
:(
Cool software.

What's special about eclipses at this point in time is that we're able to observe the corona so well. The precise match between the angular diameters of the sun and moon is truly remarkable. Further, this is occurring exactly when humanity exists in large numbers and is sufficiently advanced to be able to make careful observations.

As an isolated phenomenon, sure, this could be considered a random coincidence. Considered alongside the many, many other ways that our existence appears to be super fine tuned, however, it's perfectly reasonable to see this as the work of a master designer who wanted us to be able to study and marvel at the universe. Also consider that Elon Musk has mused that there's a good chance that this universe is actually a "simulation". I'm not saying I agree, but whether there's a supreme being (God) or we're in a simulation created by another civilization, we'd sort of expect there to be some appearance of design. And regarding the simulation idea, it seems to me that a convincing simulation would be incredibly hard to construct and its existence would leave open the question of ultimate origins.

The size of the Moon relative to the distance to the Sun is trivial when you consider all the other constants and physical properties of materials. I was discussing this with a Geophysicist friend the other day. Considering the long list of these things that have to be just right for the universe to work is amazing.

Just a couple, matter only exists because of a knife edge balance between the strong and weak nuclear forces. If one was a tiny bit stronger, all matter would collapse on itself and the entire universe would not exist. If the other was a tiny bit weaker, all atoms would fly apart and again, there would be no matter other than a sea of poorly organized protons, neutrons, and electrons.

Water is just about the weirdest liquid in the universe. It's density decreases as it freezes, which is almost a unique property. I believe liquid selenium is the only other liquid that does that. It allows life to live under ice when it's cold. Otherwise all bodies of water would freeze from the bottom up and life would be unable to live under ice. Water getting less dense as it freezes means it also expands and ice wedging is one major component in breaking down rock into soil in some climates. Water gets into small cracks and when it freezes, it breaks the rock because it expands.

Another weird property of water is it's insanely high surface density. That is used both in biology as well as in human engineering quite a bit. For example ships take advantage of that high surface tension to float.

If you stand back and look at these properties and see how they are all so carefully balanced, it's amazing.

It isn't proof there is any kind of divine intelligence, but Elon Musk may have been thinking of these things when he proposed the idea we're all living in a computer simulation. Though there would have to be some kind of intelligence beyond us controlling this, and it or they would likely exist in a realm very different from ours, possibly non-physical. In practical terms a god or gods, or something we would easily mistake for such beings.

Ultimately we probably can't come up with a definitive answer while still inside the "simulation".

Reactions: abasile and TEG