Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Solar Eclipse - Aug 21, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And for some bonus trivia, the moon moves a few cm away from the Earth each year. Eventually, long after EVs are the norm and Mars has a bustling human population, Earth will see no more total solar eclipses.
Correct and that is why no "higher power" is involved. What we humans at this time in earth's history see is just a random coincidence.

• Love
Reactions: HankLloydRight
If only. :) I don't have a tracking mount on my tripod, so that cursed rascal of a sun kept moving. I cropped the photos to minimize movement but clearly could have done a better job. I also don't have enough additional frames to smooth it into a video-like look, as I was actually watching the process as well as capturing it. That GIF is around 30 frames. I know there are other more professional captures out there that are a lot smoother than mine.

The corona is only visible from Earth during a total eclipse because the central body of the sun is much (much) brighter. It's only when that is blocked that we can see the chromosphere and corona.

The diamond ring and Bailey's Beads are visible both before and after totality. Just for a very short period. I would imagine people are more likely to capture the tail end than the beginning.

Some of it is a trick of the camera too (and the eye when viewed by eye). If you kept the same camera settings for each picture, you would not see much of the corona because the shutter speed/f-stop combination that allows viewing at partial eclipse is faster/closed down than at total eclipse. Our eyes adjust automatically and so do most modern cameras, but you'd have to manually adjust the camera settings to get the same result if the camera wasn't doing it for you.

My eclipse chaser friend* says the sun is 10,000 times brighter than the corona, which is why you can't see it at any other time.

I'm simply amazed at the coincidence that the sun's diameter is 400 times larger than the moon, but the moon is 400x closer, which is why a total eclipse works this way. I wonder how many other moon/sun/planets in our solar system have this same ratio, and do they (the planets) experience total solar eclipses?

* he's been on a charted a Alaska Airlines flight the last solar eclipse to get a guaranteed cloud-free view of the solar eclipse. He got some great photos which Alaska Airlines ended up licensing from him to use a promotions for future eclipse flights, including 2017.

** in 1973, a bunch of folks chartered the Concorde to fly at Mach2 inside the totality zone for as long as possible, I think it was about 72 minutes. Too bad that will never happen again.

Earth has the best eclipses
Earth Has The Solar System’s Best Eclipses

All the moons in our solar system are smaller than Earth's, though most of the planets are further out. As you get past Mars, the sun is so far away, the sky would never be very bright, even if you were on a planet with an atmosphere that would allow you to see the sky, which =0 other than Mars. And Mars moons are so tiny, you would probably need instruments to tell if they were between you and the sun.

The fact the moon is 400X closer than Earth is a fluke of the moment in Earth's history humanity happens to be here. It's been slowly moving away from Earth for it's entire existence and eclipses in the past were much more dramatic (millions of years ago) because the Moon was closer and totality was much longer and covered much larger areas. The lunar tides in the oceans were also a lot more dramatic than they are now.

I do have one Tesla observation from my trip. While waiting for transport at the Portland airport I saw 3X as many X's as S's.

That's interesting. I know there are Xs around here, but I only see 1 X for every 20 Ss.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Correct and that is why no "higher power" is involved. What we humans at this time in earth's history see is just a random coincidence.
The fact the moon is 400X closer than Earth is a fluke of the moment in Earth's history humanity happens to be here. It's been slowly moving away from Earth for it's entire existence and eclipses in the past were much more dramatic (millions of years ago) because the Moon was closer and totality was much longer and covered much larger areas. The lunar tides in the oceans were also a lot more dramatic than they are now.
What's special about eclipses at this point in time is that we're able to observe the corona so well. The precise match between the angular diameters of the sun and moon is truly remarkable. Further, this is occurring exactly when humanity exists in large numbers and is sufficiently advanced to be able to make careful observations.

As an isolated phenomenon, sure, this could be considered a random coincidence. Considered alongside the many, many other ways that our existence appears to be super fine tuned, however, it's perfectly reasonable to see this as the work of a master designer who wanted us to be able to study and marvel at the universe. Also consider that Elon Musk has mused that there's a good chance that this universe is actually a "simulation". I'm not saying I agree, but whether there's a supreme being (God) or we're in a simulation created by another civilization, we'd sort of expect there to be some appearance of design. And regarding the simulation idea, it seems to me that a convincing simulation would be incredibly hard to construct and its existence would leave open the question of ultimate origins.

I say this having just seen my first total eclipse, from Torrington, Wyoming. It was absolutely incredible, and our Model S performed well in getting us there and back! We didn't have to wait at all at the Cheyenne, WY Supercharger, though a couple of cars had to wait following our arrival as we were driving home.

Reactions: TEG
What's special about eclipses at this point in time is that we're able to observe the corona so well. The precise match between the angular diameters of the sun and moon is truly remarkable. Further, this is occurring exactly when humanity exists in large numbers and is sufficiently advanced to be able to make careful observations.

As an isolated phenomenon, sure, this could be considered a random coincidence. Considered alongside the many, many other ways that our existence appears to be super fine tuned, however, it's perfectly reasonable to see this as the work of a master designer who wanted us to be able to study and marvel at the universe.

It seems that way, but that's largely because the portion of the universe that we're currently able to observe is such a tiny, inconceivably miniscule fraction of the whole. For all we know, the distribution of star systems, planetary objects, moons, life, technological life, and appropriate groupings of such is perfectly even.

I say this having just seen my first total eclipse, from Torrington, Wyoming. It was absolutely incredible, and our Model S performed well in getting us there and back! We didn't have to wait at all at the Cheyenne, WY Supercharger, though a couple of cars had to wait following our arrival as we were driving home.

You weren't far from Glendo, where I was at. Very nice. Hopefully your interstate travel was less stop-and-go than mine on the way back.

God may be up there, but it seems futile to me to search for signs from God in phenomenon that seemingly have no Godly purpose. Maybe if God had a jokester daughter that helped in creation, she may have made the moon appear basically the same size as the sun for a chuckle, but I can't see why God, as religion depicts, would bother with such a triviality. Most likely just a happenstance of chance in my opinion, whether God is up there or not.

I said basically because it's actually frequently not exactly the same size; variations in orbit cause the moon to appear slighter bigger or smaller than the sun much of the time. When smaller, it produces annular eclipses ("ring of fire" eclipses). When at it's biggest sizes, you get longer duration eclipses, sometimes upwards of 6+ minutes. If they were pretty much exactly the same size, the path of totality would be extremely thin and the full eclipse would only last a few seconds.

When I saw the 1991 eclipse in Mexico, the small town was basically deserted. After the eclipse was over I asked a local why nobody was around and they said the church told them to stay indoors because they risked becoming sterile if they looked at it...

God may be up there, but it seems futile to me to search for signs from God in phenomenon that seemingly have no Godly purpose. Maybe if God had a jokester daughter that helped in creation, she may have made the moon appear basically the same size as the sun for a chuckle, but I can't see why God, as religion depicts, would bother with such a triviality. Most likely just a happenstance of chance in my opinion, whether God is up there or not.

I said basically because it's actually frequently not exactly the same size; variations in orbit cause the moon to appear slighter bigger or smaller than the sun much of the time. When smaller, it produces annular eclipses ("ring of fire" eclipses). When at it's biggest sizes, you get longer duration eclipses, sometimes upwards of 6+ minutes. If they were pretty much exactly the same size, the path of totality would be extremely thin and the full eclipse would only last a few seconds.
Face it, we're in a deluxe simulation. In addition to being fun, the coincidence also helped demonstrate gravitational lensing!

Face it, we're in a deluxe simulation. In addition to being fun, the coincidence also helped demonstrate gravitational lensing!
Yes. Let me propose a random wild speculation. It's a simulation started by another sentient species. Within the simulation, they decided to build an AI that eventually became humanity. Now the simulation controllers are not sure what to do, as humanity has arguably become sentient, so they don't want to shut it down, but they are concerned that humanity will soon figure it out as humanity has developed science and "space craft" that may soon be able to extend beyond the original bounds of the simulation. Now they are desperately seeking the original developer who made it possible to create the simulation, but they aren't sure where he is, because they let him go for toying around and not taking it seriously, doing silly things like making the AI's moon appear the same size at the AI's sun. So they set up a limit where the AI can only travel at "light speed" which they think will give them all the time they need to decide what to do, be it continuing to extend the bounds of the simulation, shut it down, alter it in some way, or perhaps, as some have advocated for, even freeing the AI from the confines of it's imaginary world and bringing it into the real world. At least, they think they are in the real world. No one is quite sure.

Maybe if God had a jokester daughter that helped in creation, she may have made the moon appear basically the same size as the sun for a chuckle, but I can't see why God, as religion depicts, would bother with such a triviality.
This particular "triviality" sure gets lots of attention, though! Both the Old Testament and the New Testament depict a God who desires to be known by humanity and who makes himself known through the universe/creation. What I find amazing is the sheer number of strong, providential "coincidences" in the universe, without which advanced life as we know it would be impossible, and yet the laws of physics have been consistently upheld. If I were designing a universe and wanted to make sure that advanced life would evolve, I'd probably find it easiest to take some "shortcuts" and intervene by fiat along the way. The creation and employment of our moon is one example - it seems to be a really special moon and has played key roles in maintaining and improving Earth's habitability over the last 4+ billion years. And yet science is fully adequate to explain the mechanics of its creation.

You weren't far from Glendo, where I was at. Very nice. Hopefully your interstate travel was less stop-and-go than mine on the way back.
Getting out of the immediate area was the hardest part. We took a bunch of small side roads, including dirt farm roads, to escape the terrible traffic on route 85 and worked our way over to I-25 which wasn't all that bad between Chugwater, WY and Cheyenne. From there, we headed west on I-80 and completely avoided further traffic. We then stayed at a very nice RV park (which also has cabins) in Riverside, WY - see Lazy Acres Campground and Motel, Riverside, Wyoming. The proprietor, Leroy, had kindly allowed us to reserve a 14-50 outlet. The following morning, we drove the 256 miles to the Grand Junction, CO Supercharger on a single charge - the net elevation loss of about 2500' helped, and I was prepared to charge along the way in Rifle, CO if needed. But we arrived in Grand Junction with about 10% charge remaining.

Literally the same picture? Only difference is in "post-production"? That's pretty neat. Was it really just the contrast setting? What program did you use?

Yes literally the same picture, just with different contrast enhancement. Actually the raw image is a stack of 10 back-to-back exposures.

I used MaxIm DL software. My company makes it. The same software operated the camera for me during totality.

• Informative
Reactions: bak_phy
I want to thank all the scientists / astronomers / mathematicians and such that made it possible for us to predict with such amazing accuracy where and when this phenomenon will happen.
Since we now know so far in advance, people can make rational plans to see these rather than randomly happening to be in the right place at the right time.

I want to thank all the scientists / astronomers / mathematicians and such that made it possible for us to predict with such amazing accuracy where and when this phenomenon will happen.

You know Christopher Columbus did it in 1504 to trick the Jamaican natives into saving him and his crew?

This Day in History: Christopher Columbus Tricks Native Jamaicans into Giving Him Supplies by Using His Knowledge of an Upcoming Lunar Eclipse

He was one Grade-A jerk, to put in nicely.