Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totalled my S today....so I confirmed my Model 3 First Production order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of surprised they haven’t gotten you totaled out yet. I would think any appraiser would be able to call it based on pictures alone. Hope they don’t give you a runaround. Be sure they know there are hundreds of Tesla buyers watching your story waiting to see how it turns out. :)

So being a Model S owner bumped you up literately to the front of the line? I'm asking because we are thinking of adding a 3 to our family, and I assumed it would put me somewhere in the middle of the pack. I would have thought the list of S/X owners buying 3s to be much longer.

I reserved one during the reveal, then bought my S last December. Since I live in CA, I was already close to the front of the line.

Kind of surprised they haven’t gotten you totaled out yet. I would think any appraiser would be able to call it based on pictures alone. Hope they don’t give you a runaround. Be sure they know there are hundreds of Tesla buyers watching your story waiting to see how it turns out. :)

They needed to tow it to their lot, and with Christmas coming up, it’s all getting delayed a bit. I probably won’t hear anything new until Tuesday.

QUESTION: Did your S send out an audible alert, or brake or swerve on it's own? Did you have the Collision warning on and set to what sensitivity?

QUESTION 2: Were you on auto steer? I'll admit I tend to not watch as closely as I should when I use it on a divided highway. Hopefully I would have seen this guy coming on a 2-Lane road!!

But Maybe not!! Thanks for the reminder.

None of the above. My P85 was a 2013 and had no AP or any collision avoidance systems.

Watched the video and skipped the 8 pages of comments. So glad you are OK and very impressed with your reaction and glad you and the other driver are OK. It didn't look like he was trying to avoid you. I think your reaction saved lives.
Painful to see the S and hopeful you get your 3 any day now.

the guy with the movie and AP

Please stop spreading that falsehood

We can say conclusively that he was NOT watching a movie.

https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/59500-59999/59989/604759.pdf

The
National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)Vehicle Recorder Division received the following devices

Device 1:
Laptop Computer
Device 1 Serial Number:
ECN0CX305107503

Device 2:
Chromebook
Device 2 Serial Number:
FCNLCX051001518

Device 3:
Chromebit
Device 3 Serial Number:100A
-
CM2XXNF

Device 4:
Micro
SD
Memory Card
Device 4 Serial Number:
n/a

The hard drive was removed from the laptop and was imaged using forensic software. The image of the hard drive was reviewed. The most recent accessed, modified, and created files were from April 6, 2016. The screen of the laptop was broken so the clock drift of the laptop could not be determined. Without the offset of the laptop clock to real time, it could not be concluded whether or not the driver was on the laptop at the time of the crash. No Harry Potter movie file was found on the hard drive of the device

The micro SD memory card contained photos and music files. The photos were not pertinent to the investigation and the music included parts of the Harry Potter movies’ soundtracks.

So no proof of a Harry Potter DVD or movie file was documented. No authority in the case has said he was watching a movie. I think we can safely say he wasn't watching a movie.

After months of people saying he was watching a DVD it should be repeated loud and clear that there was no DVD player or DVD media in the car.

The report found a laptop, a chromebook, and some SD cards. None of which had a movie on them.

Last edited: