Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch up paint for aero wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to revive an old thread but thanks to all the great advice here I'd thought I'd share my 2 hour job as per your paint suggestions.

Dupli Colour Dark CX Grey, 3 layers of paint, 2ish layers of clear coat.

My advice to myself if I had to do it again would be to do a fine polishing step with 2000 grit sandpaper before applying clear coat, so that it doesn't look as... blobby.

.View attachment 497425 View attachment 497426
You did a way better job than I have bothered to do. Nice work! I’ve filed down the rough stuff, painted, and called it quits. That’s enough so that I and others don’t notice the damage unless I go looking for it. Said another way, I’m lazier than you!

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
I installed wheelbands over the holiday break to hopefully prevent curb damage like this.

I recorded a video doing install/review, I should have it done in a few days. The ones I got are with a white reflective insert so they provide a little more visibility at night.

IMG_0944.jpg

Reactions: Aaron14902
I installed wheelbands over the holiday break to hopefully prevent curb damage like this.

I recorded a video doing install/review, I should have it done in a few days. The ones I got are with a white reflective insert so they provide a little more visibility at night.

View attachment 497671

I like the idea of wheel bands, but I was not impressed with them when I put them to the test. They likely reduced the damage, but they also pulled paint off the wheels causing their own damage. YMMV.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVNation
I like the idea of wheel bands, but I was not impressed with them when I put them to the test. They likely reduced the damage, but they also pulled paint off the wheels causing their own damage. YMMV.

I was about to buy some several months ago, when I saw a few anecdotal reports of them coming loose at high speed, creating a spinning whip, which can damage the nearby body and wheel well liner. So instead I have vowed to be more careful.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVNation
I have had the whip, but I have not heard of anyone having damage from it. It's just light plastic.

I kept running into curbs after installing them so I had to cut out the damaged bit and use the tiny bit of extra to cover it up. With all the storming all winter long I got sick of it and just let it fall off. Just put on my snow tires a few minutes ago, before that I had done the sanding and painting, so it looks like it's time to put on the bands again. I hope they stay better this winter.

The tire place said this set of Pirellis has curb guards so perhaps the band will stay. I do like the look of the red band around the grey wheels:

B33C90A2-39FD-4377-9C6C-2B66BD2DED5C_1_105_c.jpeg

(photo from last winter's setup, no mud guards)

That color is way off. Or I got a bad pen. It’s way darker than the rim.
Same with mine. I did a test dap on some white paper, and it is clearly black, not some dark gray. Maybe I got a bad pen, too. Since it’s only $15, I’ll buy another and try again. So many people here got results I would be happy to get.

Attachments

• E44189A1-60D3-4D00-A7A7-9FAD73050C6F.jpeg
    E44189A1-60D3-4D00-A7A7-9FAD73050C6F.jpeg
    405 KB · Views: 209
Same with mine. I did a test dap on some white paper, and it is clearly black, not some dark gray. Maybe I got a bad pen, too. Since it’s only $15, I’ll buy another and try again. So many people here got results I would be happy to get.
Possible solution. I had a similar problem with a DupliColor pen for our former Toyota. The touch ups were too dark. I realized too late that it was a user error. I had failed to thoroughly shake it before use. Once I did, the match was fine. Not sure whether that's your problem, but something to check off the list at least.

Reactions: Massive Attack
Possible solution. I had a similar problem with a DupliColor pen for our former Toyota. The touch ups were too dark. I realized too late that it was a user error. I had failed to thoroughly shake it before use. Once I did, the match was fine. Not sure whether that's your problem, but something to check off the list at least.

CharleyBC, I owe you a virtual beer! I did buy a second bottle/pen, and put a dab on a piece of paper. It was visibly not as dark. Anyway, I shook both bottles like a crazy babysitter for 5 minutes, and got a much closer match with the newer bottle. I tried the same with the first bottle, but it was still too dark. I threw that one in the trash.
Thanks for the tip! When I finish the job, I’ll post the results. Unfortunately the weather is too cool for a proper job.

Has anyone tried the Midnight silver metallic (MSM) touch up paint from Tesla? I happen to have a MSM car and bought the kit to fix a tiny scratch on a painted panel, and thought I might try it on a tiny patch of curb rash on one of my aero rims I noticed the other day, too.

The color of the rims seems to be an exact match to the paint of my car (why I chose a MSM Model 3 in the first place, in fact, for how clean I think this looks) so maybe worth a shot?

Paint Repair Kit

CharleyBC, I owe you a virtual beer! I did buy a second bottle/pen, and put a dab on a piece of paper. It was visibly not as dark. Anyway, I shook both bottles like a crazy babysitter for 5 minutes, and got a much closer match with the newer bottle. I tried the same with the first bottle, but it was still too dark. I threw that one in the trash.
Thanks for the tip! When I finish the job, I’ll post the results. Unfortunately the weather is too cool for a proper job.
Beers always welcome, virtual or otherwise!

Reviving a dormant thread...

I've had good luck with the "Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow Gray Ford" paint, but I've run through the entire 0.25oz, so I'm looking to restock. But I see the T-Sportline now has a touch-up paint that's sold specifically for the aero wheels. Amazon.com: T Sportline Tesla Wheel Touch Up Paint - Aero Wheel (Dark Metallic Gray) : Automotive Seems to have good reviews on Amazon.

Granted, it costs twice as much as the Dupli-Color, but you get 0.6oz instead of 0.25oz. And I found that the Dupli-Color All-in-1 paint pen-style design to be a bit annoying to use. I'd prefer a basic touch-up bottle.

So just wondering if anyone has had good/bad experiences with the T-Sportline aero wheel touch-up paint?