Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch now available on configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those stating that $1000 is too much for an installed hitch and wiring harness, I'd recommend comparing this with what it costs to install an aftermarket hitch on the Model 3 (the closest available comparison vehicle). Using costs on etrailer, the ecohitch is $408, and the ZCI "no splice" wiring harness is $146, for a total of $554.00. There are less expensive hitches and wiring options available, but these seem to be the most 'reversible' and the closest to what the factory specs. I have not gotten a quote for installation, but I spent about 5 hours installing my hitch and wiring harness. I'm estimating a professional shop could do it in 3. Given that most shops charge at least $100 for labor, I think you would plan on spending at least $854.00 to have a hitch with wiring installed on your 3 or Y. So you can save some money doing it yourself. What you loose is the 'trailer mode' which turns off the rear sensors, and may provide some enhanced stability control. If I had the option of spending $1000 to have Tesla put the hitch on versus doing it myself of paying a 3rd party to do it, I think I'd choose to have it done at the factory. Its not a bargain, but it is not unreasonably expensive, either.

For those that booked an early reservation and want to keep the lower price that they have on their reservation, that is a commercial issue that you'll need to work through with your Tesla sales rep. Who knows if they will be flexible or not.

Do we know that the Tesla tow hitch on the Y includes wiring and it isn't just the receiver? I assume so since they advertise it being able to tow 3500lbs, but I never know with Tesla's lack of details with specs.

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler
To those stating that $1000 is too much for an installed hitch and wiring harness, I'd recommend comparing this with what it costs to install an aftermarket hitch on the Model 3 (the closest available comparison vehicle). Using costs on etrailer, the ecohitch is $408, and the ZCI "no splice" wiring harness is $146, for a total of $554.00. There are less expensive hitches and wiring options available, but these seem to be the most 'reversible' and the closest to what the factory specs. I have not gotten a quote for installation, but I spent about 5 hours installing my hitch and wiring harness. I'm estimating a professional shop could do it in 3. Given that most shops charge at least $100 for labor, I think you would plan on spending at least $854.00 to have a hitch with wiring installed on your 3 or Y. So you can save some money doing it yourself. What you loose is the 'trailer mode' which turns off the rear sensors, and may provide some enhanced stability control. If I had the option of spending $1000 to have Tesla put the hitch on versus doing it myself of paying a 3rd party to do it, I think I'd choose to have it done at the factory. Its not a bargain, but it is not unreasonably expensive, either.

For those that booked an early reservation and want to keep the lower price that they have on their reservation, that is a commercial issue that you'll need to work through with your Tesla sales rep. Who knows if they will be flexible or not.

I posted about this yesterday. But I think your estimate of a commercial installation is way low, at least in California. When I price a two hitch for the Model 3, the Echohitch with installation labor was $1000, and that didn't include any wiring.

Reactions: ragedogg69
Plus factor in your time of setting up an appointment and down time versus just driving it away from delivery good to go.

oh yeah Tesla owners sit in line for hours to save pennies worth of electricity, what am I thinking
I'd order it in a second if it were just the $1000, but my cost for the car went up $2990. $3k for a hitch is crazy and certainly I should be able to find an aftermarket, or Tesla one installed for less than that.

I'd order it in a second if it were just the $1000, but my cost for the car went up $2990. $3k for a hitch is crazy and certainly I should be able to find an aftermarket, or Tesla one installed for less than that.

Stay tuned. I just read a post in another forum from someone who ordered early and initially was told he'd get dinged for the new price. Instead, he called his service center and they changed his order with no car price increase. You might try something like that.

Just changed my order to add the tow hitch; no change other than the $1,000 for the option.

From your signature, you reserved on Feb 2, 2020, right?

A lot of the folks seeing a bigger increase locked in a cheaper price with an early reservation (before the price for FSD went up twice). So by changing their configuration, it's adding the $1,000 for the hitch and applying the new price to their early reservation.

What you loose is the 'trailer mode' which turns off the rear sensors, and may provide some enhanced stability control.
I would not want to tow with a Tesla unless Trailer Mode was activated because, as you point out, then the car knows to ignore the rear parking sensors alerting that there is an object very close to the car and audibly going off when you are backing up with a trailer attached. When I first started towing with my X in Feb 2018, with the factory hitch and with Tow Mode active, there was a software bug that caused those sensors to constantly alert. It was very annoying, and was fixed with a software update later that year.

If I was buying a Y right now and planning to tow I would choose the factory Tow Package option to ensure that the car was built with the tow wiring harness installed.

Reading this forum I’m unclear on whether or not Model Y vehicles currently being delivered have the tow wiring harness in place or not.

I always bought tow packages with my previous SUVs (Grand Cherokees). Sometimes never used them, even once. Bought them for the extra capacity they provided. Then when I needed to tow something, it was there.

With the Tesla hitch, the cosmetics are great. When you don't need it the vanity cover makes it invisible. When you need it you just slide in the receiver and you are good to go.

Have used it for dump runs, towing a small vacation trailer, small utility trailer, bike rack, and even accessory luggage rack when making airport runs to pick up relatives. I have even used it to move boulders and take out some smaller trees. It is a super handy thing to have when you need it.

3,500 capacity is pretty good. Allows pulling a couple Wave Runners or small boat to the lake.

Some manufacturers package it with additional engine/differential cooling, lower gearing etc. With Tesla electric drive Imagine just some thoughtful software will be all that is needed.

From your signature, you reserved on Feb 2, 2020, right?

A lot of the folks seeing a bigger increase locked in a cheaper price with an early reservation (before the price for FSD went up twice). So by changing their configuration, it's adding the $1,000 for the hitch and applying the new price to their early reservation.
Understood that those who reserved very early with prices that have since changed upward will trigger the price increase plus the price of the hitch. That has always been clearly stated in the sales terms and conditions.

A bigger question is whether or not adding the tow hitch pushes an order back in the queue.

One more thing to consider. If you (or an aftermarket installer) wire an aftermarket hitch, if you have a warranty claim on something else in the electrical system that's even remotely related, it gives Tesla a open door to claiming the electrical system was damaged in the process of the aftermarket installation. Relatively unlikely but far from impossible.

This is specifically - I quote - what I was told when asking about post-delivery retrofit:
"No your Trade-In won’t be effected by the Tow Hitch. The Tow Hitch can be retrofitted post-delivery to your Model Y, but you’ll need to contact your local Service Center for more information once you’ve taken delivery of this vehicle."

Possibly wrong but that's what I got from Las Vegas ...

I can no longer find the Tow Hitch option in the Model Y configuration. Wasn’t it on the “Exterior” page? I do not see it on any of the configuration pages.

1B08F0C5-2BE1-41EA-891D-27EB0AA63134.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Zoomit