Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch now available on configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is somewhat maddening, as that option was not available
when I place my order. If it was, I'd have ordered it.
Now, when it finally comes out, and only about a month into deliveries,
adding it changes the cost of previous options.
I'd jump right on it for $1000, but not for $2990.
I wonder if it would be available for later install for $1,250 like for the Model X?

Dman it, edited my order last night to include the tow hitch and missed the fkn price increase! Called Tesla to reverse the change, all they did was take off the tow hitch but the new price remains. Any recourse here? Or am I just an idiot for jumping the gun too quickly? :(

Dman it, edited my order last night to include the tow hitch and missed the fkn price increase! Called Tesla to reverse the change, all they did was take off the tow hitch but the new price remains. Any recourse here? Or am I just an idiot for jumping the gun too quickly? :(
You're not an idiot. Most people don't realize that any changes to your order resets it to current pricing. This has been Tesla's policy for a long time. Unfortunately I don't think there is any recourse.

Need it for a eMTB. Will have to get the 1 1/4 to 2” converter. Glad chat confirmed retrofit.

Attachments

• FDE72807-9A75-4A10-9356-447DB8F7C01B.png
    FDE72807-9A75-4A10-9356-447DB8F7C01B.png
    424.8 KB · Views: 197
Reactions: RckyMtnElectrk
There are after market 1 1/2 to 2" adapters if you already have 2" accessories. View attachment 531212
Why the heck would you want to do this for? Appears to be just another piece to go wrong while adding obviously no further strength.
Tesla chat told me that updating an order for the hitch option will trigger the new pricing (+$2k for my March ‘19 order, on top of $1k). She said to check with local service center about adding on after purchase. Anybody else hear anything different or try to edit order to see what happens?
Read above.

No way it would be 2" as that invites idiots overloading the car with some huge trailer. 2" receiver is not even legal unless the vehicle tow rating is adequate.

Legal? I am betting that it is legal. I look forward to eating crow when proved wrong.
The “law” does not regulate oversized tow receivers relative to rating. There are common receiver sizes for different classes, but many example exist of 2” receivers being sold for Class I and Class II rated vehicles, which are typically only 1.25”.

Here are two examples of 2” receivers on Class I (2000 lb) hitches for the Model 3.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Tesla/Model+3/2018/C13431.html?VehicleID=2018101433
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Tesla/Model+3/2018/306-X7373.html?VehicleID=201870782

Here’s another random example, a 2” Class II (3500lb) hitch for 2006-2012 Toyota RAV4
Toyota RAV4 Towing Receiver Hitch. Tow Hitch. Hitches, Testing, Points - PT22842060 - Genuine Toyota Accessory

Bottomline, nothing legally precludes Tesla from putting a 2” receiver on the Y.

Oh, BTW, we’re already seen them testing a 2” receiver.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-03-at-9.39.18-PM.jpg

Ref: Tesla Model Y prototype spotted with tow hitch - Electrek

If it's anything like the X, there are mounting points for the bolts built into every Y they have produced. I can't imagine this not being the case. Therefore, it's entirely possible and even plausible that someone like Draw-Tite will come out with an aftermarket hitch that bolts on. I installed an aftermarket Draw-Tite hitch on my Model X, and it wasn't very difficult. The thread I linked has photos of how it bolts on. It was inexpensive as well (although I already had the X tow bar and towing package, so it was inexpensive on TOP of what I'd already spent).

For some owners who are only looking to pull a utility trailer or carry a bike rack, waiting for an aftermarket product might be the (much) more affordable option.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
In 2016 Model X was announced to be coming with either a 1 1/2'(free) or 2" hitch (cost) hitch. They ended up cancelling the smaller hitch and upgrading everyone to the larger hitch at no cost.

No way of knowing what will happen this time. Will need to watch this to see how it sorts out, but everyone should be pretty happy to know that the Model Y will be able to tow.

I was able to use chat on the Tesla website. They chat person, Amie, transferred me top chat with David, in delivery. David added it, $1,000, no extra fees. He said it will show up on my account in a few hours. View attachment 531066
My tow hitch was just added the toe hitch to my existing order. No extra fees. The initial chat person said I would have to cancel my order. Made no sense

I am sure there will be a cheaper aftermarket version coming out. I wouldn't worry about getting Tesla's version if you are having problems changing an order.

I've been looking for a hitch just for a bike rack on my model 3 and it seems there are a few models cheaper than Tesla's

My tow hitch was just added the toe hitch to my existing order. No extra fees. The initial chat person said I would have to cancel my order. Made no sense

I was told by chat that modifying my order will incur an extra $1990 on top of tow hitch cost. This is because of lower pricing when I originally ordered, color choice, etc.

Just to clarify, are you saying that that’s not the case for you or maybe prices haven’t changed since you originally ordered (ie more recently)?