Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch now available on configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the Tow Hitch software will provide any information to the Navigation (NoA) to determine the range and Superchargers to use?
The X does not currently work that way. However there has been speculation that Tesla will be improving the range calculation software to analyze the increased energy usage when towing and then more accurately estimate remaining range and then the nav would include that data when making recommendations for charging stops.

Reactions: israndy and ohmman
The X does not currently work that way. However there has been speculation that Tesla will be improving the range calculation software to analyze the increased energy usage when towing and then more accurately estimate remaining range and then the nav would include that data when making recommendations for charging stops.
The X does, however, reflect that a generic camper is attached the vehicle and it reduces estimated range by some fixed amount when trailer mode is turned on. It doesn't reflect the actual consumption with my rig, though, and it doesn't guide me to different Superchargers that are more trailer-friendly.

when I login to my tesla account, i seem to have 'lost' the option to edit the configuration.
had to resort to the https URL hack to login and change the config to include the tow hitch.

for me, the car's price would not be increased and it would be the $1K additional to add the tow hitch. just wondering if there is a downside to changing the design at this point or should I go for it?
The tow hitch is a must as we have a four bike Thule rack that needs a 2".
i'm in no rush for the MY and would be perfectly ok if it arrived early next year...I placed the order exactly a month ago.

When I enter the edit menu, the price goes up 2k without changing anything. So If I were to select tow hitch and save the edit, It would cost me 3k for tow package. I hope in the near future they figure out a way for the many of us with early reservations to add the tow option without triggering a new reservation with higher price.

Reactions: mazers
I hope in the near future they figure out a way for the many of us with early reservations to add the tow option without triggering a new reservation with higher price.

You mean you want them to remove this sentence from your order agreement: "If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date"?

• Love
Reactions: ragedogg69 and Thp3
You mean you want them to remove this sentence from your order agreement: "If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date"?

Because this option was not available at the time I and many others made their early reservation, yes I would hope Tesla would have the flexibility to make exceptions for us. I can understand not allowing us to change colors and other things that were available at the time of reservation without increasing the price. Stupid for us to take delivery and then ask them to put in later (if that is even possible) when they could have installed it from the beginning. We shouldn't have to game the system to get what we want especially as we enter a recession market.

when I login to my tesla account, i seem to have 'lost' the option to edit the configuration.
had to resort to the https URL hack to login and change the config to include the tow hitch.

for me, the car's price would not be increased and it would be the $1K additional to add the tow hitch. just wondering if there is a downside to changing the design at this point or should I go for it?
i'm in no rush for the MY and would be perfectly ok if it arrived early next year...I placed the order exactly a month ago.

Potential downsides would be:
  1. If you happen to have a configuration of a car which was already built, then you would no longer be matched with that car because it doesn't have the tow hitch you want now.
  2. We don't have any details about the hitch other than that it is a class II receiver. Could be 1.25 or 2 inch, nobody knows for certain yet. So you might add it only to find out you just ordered a 1.25 inch receiver.
I'd just wait. You can always add it later once we get more details.

Customers seem to have lots of options, depending on their individual circumstances.

If factory hitch has value at $1,000 check that box when ordering.

If you have pre-ordered an earlier configuration, and your vehicle price will go up over the $1,000 price you can decide to order, have it installed by service center at a price to be announced, deal with an aftermarket supplier, or let it go.

Biggest bummer is for people wanting to change to the newest configuration, but don't want to pay the newest configuration price.

For many, just wanting a bike rack hitch, going aftermarket might be the more economical way for them to go. If tongue weight is an issue, some may wish to hook a strap from a bike to the top of the hatch to reduce the lever effect of heavy bikes and wobble stresses.

Imagine for those wanting to tow, the factory hitch either from the factory or installed later by service center will be the way to go for stability/sway control, engineered strength, connections for brakes and sensors to adapt to the weight.

I am in the same boat. How do you do the URL hack? I'd like to try that before calling Tesla to change my order.

Why is everyone assuming a 1.25" receiver? The only time I see it mentioned in the press is from electrek, which said it (probably) would have a 1/25" receiver. The only thing Tesla has said is that it's class II. Nothing about the size of the receiver.

I'd be very surprised if it's 1.25". Those receivers are usually for very light bike racks, not for towing 3500 lbs or a tongue weight of 300 lbs. Plus, the Model X option is only for a 2" receiver.

Probably because when you google Class II hitch pretty much every result is saying a Class II hitch gets a 1.25" receiver. I know nothing about towing or hitches, so I just have to take the internets word on that one. But from what people are saying around here, the receiver size technically isn't a requirement of the Class level.

upload_2020-4-13_16-30-20.png

$1000 for a hitch? No way for most people.

Agree. Even worse, you might have to pay that on top of a $1-2K price increase. Once again, the early folks who put down $2.5K are seeing no advantage with $100 orders receiving their car in mere weeks. Many are forced to upgrade over silly things like this.

Those putting money down on the Cybertruck will likely see Tesla's version of bait and switch there too.

Agree. Even worse, you might have to pay that on top of a $1-2K price increase. Once again, the early folks who put down $2.5K are seeing no advantage with $100 orders receiving their car in mere weeks. Many are forced to upgrade over silly things like this.

Those putting money down on the Cybertruck will likely see Tesla's version of bait and switch there too.
Cybertruck "reservation" is fully refundable though. Was it not for the Model Y?

There is a big difference. The Model Y was a fully configured Order, while the Cybertruck is just a reservation, with the option to select FSD or not. Of course I don't know what options, besides the CyberATV, there will be for the Cybertuck, since they will all have towing... I suppose interior color might be an option... And maybe other accessories like the vault tent, ladder rack, etc...