Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke to a friend yesterday who works in a car assembly plant - not directly one the line but enough exposure to know what's going on around.

I didn't explain why I was asking what I was asking, but one aspect was how long their assembly runs concentrated on one particular model, option or colour.

Basically, their assembly line can cope with every car being a different, specification, model or colour (except for a very limited colour option that has its own spray booth). Granted, its lower volume than Tesla are putting through, but just goes to show that it is possible to intersperse different options on a modern car assembly plant.

So I see no reason why Tesla could not have fulfilled their tow hitches along with other variations.

I spoke to a friend yesterday who works in a car assembly plant

James May did a good visit to the Cowley Mini plant a while back, someone's posted a pointless audio missing part 2 version on youtube which isn't worth linking to.

It's a 'Just In Time' wonder. Every car on the line is different, which is no wonder as automakers seem to pride themselves on the choices to consumer. Lots of Quality checking like laser scanning to check tolerances of fit etc. The regular car makers seem to invest in production rather than improving the car dramatically. Supply chain and assembly seem to make a modern car what it is. The incumbents have spent years on this as it maximises profits. Every Tesla that gets referred to a SC for post delivery work to paint etc will really chomp away at Tesla resources, I suppose the feedback will eventually get back to the factory and improve the build. If I were Tesla I would produce batches of cars with the same spec, though I suppose that will depend on if they have the correct parts available. Hopefully Elon has found the Tow Hitches in the stock room :)

I thought that I had one in source this morning. I normally search for "vin"* quotes included and normally get 10 matches. Today I got 9... Couldn't see what's gone but pretty sure that is no vin in the expected places. "vin":null etc still all there

* I can never remember the 5xx or whatever it is so "vin" is so much easier to remember

Still no AWD VIN's?
not for me, just tumbleweed

normally search for "vin"* quotes included and normally get 10 matches. Today I got 9...
I usually (in safari) search for vin":n it's case insensitive, previously I was getting 3 hits but since yesterday I get 5:

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 08.34.44.png

Answers on a postcard to the usual forum..

I'll drop this here so you can get an idea. You search for 5YJ which identifies Tesla

• Digits 1 – 3: World Manufacturing Identifier
  • 5YJ = Manufacturer: Tesla Inc.
  • Digit 4: Make/Line/Series
  • S = Tesla Model S
  • X = Tesla Model X
  • 3 = Tesla Model 3
  • Digit 5: Body Type and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
  • A – Hatch back 5 Dr/ LHD
  • C = Class E (6001-7000 lbs) GVWR / MPV / 5 Dr / LHD
  • E= Sedan 4 Dr / LHD
  • Digit 6: Restraint System
  • 1= Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
  • A = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3, TR*2) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
  • B = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*2, TR*2) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
  • D= Type 2 Manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags. PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
  • Digit 7: Fuel Type
  • E = Electric
  • Digit 8: Motor/Drive Unit
  • 1= Single Motor – Standard
  • 3= Single Motor – Performance
  • 2 = Dual Motor (standard)
  • 4 = Dual Motor (performance)
  • A= Single Motor – Standard
  • B= Dual Motor – Standard
  • Digit 9: Check Digit To be assigned by manufacturer pursuant to 49 CFR § 565.6(c)
  • Digit 10: Model Year
  • H = 2017
  • Digit 11: Plant of Manufacture
  • F = Fremont, CA
  • Digits 12-17: Unique serial number

Reactions: TooEager