Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the Model Y to have towing, Tesla would have this Trailer Hitch assembly made (like in the X) to attach to the frame/rails to fit in the space just forward of the Rear Bumper Beam.

As it looks from the video above - there might be enough (albeit tight) space to fit the Trailer Hitch assembly.
20200321_185634.jpg

@lnsh beat me to it...like he said above.

Based on the Model 3 version in US and UK, I think that:

Towing hardware will not be installed by Tesla after delivery. In UK version Model 3, towing must be selected at order, it is not available post delivery.

The rear panel (tow hitch) cut-out on Model Y is there for future builds, likely UK versions.
US Model 3's built since mid-2019 has cut-out (for tow hitch) under the rear diffuser. Towing hardware install is still not offered pre or post delivery in US.

Screenshot_20200322-073603_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rxlawdude
I was reading the article posted by Tasmanian.

Tesla Model Y Trailer Mode For Future Update

I got to the section about the trailer brakes section and installing a controller, anybody with a Y want to comment and see if your car has that 4 pin plug already installed. It says it's behind the cover on the drivers side footwell.

Also, would be interesting to compare against a Performance and Non-P. Maybe they will treat them differently with towing? If you have a Y chime in!

Torqlift Central had a great hitch for my model S. I suspect that as soon as they can procure a Y they'll have one for it, too. You should have no trouble using it for a bike rack. I installed my hitch in my own driveway, but that might be a challenge to anyone who can't undo bolts and screws. It ain't rocket science.

As getting a tow hitch is pretty much universally easy, I don't see the problem. If it's a "requirement", then just buy one. It seems you have never bought one before.
I would prefer an OEM alternative that won’t void my warranty. Given Teslas notorious slow service, I don’t want to give them a reason to reject a claim. With a third-party hitch you could be rejected for frame, software, electrical or bumper problems.

I would prefer an OEM alternative that won’t void my warranty. Given Teslas notorious slow service, I don’t want to give them a reason to reject a claim. With a third-party hitch you could be rejected for frame, software, electrical or bumper problems.
I got my call from Tesla today. Asking what would be a good date for delivery.

LR AWD, non-performance, MSM, no-FSD, standard Gemini wheels. Pretty basic spec.

I chose to delay and referenced the lack of information regarding the tow hitch. The rep seemed unsurprised and reference my reason as “not unique.” He apologized for not having more information, and would place my reason for delaying in the system.

I also let him know that any information regarding a 3rd party options and their impact on things like warranty would be helpful in my case.

I’m kind of bummed. To my brain, the lack of information is harder to deal with than being told, ”it ain’t gonna happen.”

...sigh...

...sigh...

If you ask Customer Service if a hitch receiver will become available they refer you to a Service Department, then the Service Department never replies. This is what you get:

“Hello Steven,

For you question regarding the Model Y and if it can support a bike rack, I would recommend speaking to service. They will be able to let you know if this is possible as well as details with the warranty. You can find the location at the following link: Find Us | Tesla

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thank you for your support in transitioning the world to sustainable forms of energy consumption.

Best,
Jenny | Tesla Support

12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

Dear Jenny:

“I never got a reply to my questions. How about a little customer service. I am patient but really don’t like being dismissed.”

Steven

Reactions: Watts_Up
According to our local Jaguar dealer, Tesla promised buyers that a hitch receiver would become available to US buyer for the Model 3, then never delivered. He said he didn’t expect Tesla to have a hitch receiver because it was basically a Model 3 underneath and it can’t attach one. Anyone know if they promised hitch receivers to Model 3s?

I am waiting for a VIN after doing everything including payment to get ready for my Model Y. That was two weeks ago. I presume my loan will fall through at 30 days since through US Bank arranged by Tesla.

If there is no confirmation that I can get a hitch even if done later, I will cancel my order when my car loan expires. Kinda angers me that some are getting delivery after mere weeks after paying the $100, but I cannot get a delivery with them holding my $2500 for much much longer.

Reactions: lnsh
According to our local Jaguar dealer, Tesla promised buyers that a hitch receiver would become available to US buyer for the Model 3, then never delivered. He said he didn’t expect Tesla to have a hitch receiver because it was basically a Model 3 underneath and it can’t attach one. Anyone know if they promised hitch receivers to Model 3s?
It has now been 19 days since I asked if a hitch receiver would become available. Since then I have been referred to a Service Department for warranty information twice and no answer from Service to my question. I’m starting to think the Jaguar dealer is right-there won’t be one and they don’t want to tell you.

I think Tesla is afraid of the stories about the range hit towing will take on the car. Europe at least has CCS backup fast charging network so it isn't such an issue. When I towed a small car behind my Model X P90, the supercharging network was barely adequate, but I had to stop at nearly every one of them. I prefer to think it is a Tesla strategy to not include it rather than incompetence to release a SUV without a tow hitch capability.

• Disagree
The "Can't supercharge with a trailer" problem had better be fixed before the Cyber Truck comes out. But that is still a way out.

My prediction is they won't offer a hitch on the Y until they figure out how to accommodate trailers at superchargers. If all of a sudden > 50% of new Tesla's had trailer hitches it could cause a lot of congestion at superchargers that are not designed with trailers in mind.

The "Can't supercharge with a trailer" problem had better be fixed before the Cyber Truck comes out. But that is still a way out.

My prediction is they won't offer a hitch on the Y until they figure out how to accommodate trailers at superchargers. If all of a sudden > 50% of new Tesla's had trailer hitches it could cause a lot of congestion at superchargers that are not designed with trailers in mind.

That makes sense too. Tesla is sandbagging for a reason. It is a strategy.

They need to make all chargers arranged in a drive through configuration like gas stations. When I did that cross-country towing a car, it was a huge PITA to unhook the car at supercharging stations. For ones that weren't full, I was an a-hole and blocked 4-5 stalls to charge.

With the Cybertruck and 18 wheeler, they better figure out some solution. Folks towing could use that solution.