Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My argument is not that the supercharging situation makes a trailer hitch useless. I think that Tesla's concern is it exactly the opposite. If they included a trailer hitch on the Y, all of a sudden there would be a ton of Tesla's towing trailers.

And if a bunch of people started showing up at superchargers (with the current charger design) with trailers it will be a huge mess.

How many people realistically tow trailers? Trailers seem pretty rare from what I've seen. I feel like most Y/3 owners just want a hitch for a bike rack.

Not sure how big of a trailer you think people will be pulling if they ever have the chance. I’m thinking a small Harbor Freight piece of sh*t trailer...maybe 5-6ft long.

This whole thread is just a hope as Tesla isn’t going to give us anything. It’ll be aftermarket and then we have all the fun of warranty work denials because of a trailer.

It’s honestly cheaper to rent a real truck to do the work or buy a small old Ford Ranger for a grand for the handful of times a Model Y owner will need a trailer. But I will say that Tesla or other companies WILL need to figure out how to let trucks (Cybertruck or Rivian) charge while still connected to a trailer. Disconnecting the trailer ever time to charge will be a huge no-go for possible buyers.
Relevant:

Reactions: smcginnis
Not sure how big of a trailer you think people will be pulling if they ever have the chance. I’m thinking a small Harbor Freight piece of sh*t trailer...maybe 5-6ft long.

This whole thread is just a hope as Tesla isn’t going to give us anything. It’ll be aftermarket and then we have all the fun of warranty work denials because of a trailer.

It’s honestly cheaper to rent a real truck to do the work or buy a small old Ford Ranger for a grand for the handful of times a Model Y owner will need a trailer. But I will say that Tesla or other companies WILL need to figure out how to let trucks (Cybertruck or Rivian) charge while still connected to a trailer. Disconnecting the trailer ever time to charge will be a huge no-go for possible buyers.
Or, the Cybertruck. It’s not a truck until it has a trailer hitch. It seats six, has a lot more Covered storage In the back, can haul 4x8 plywood. I may rethink my order.

The "Can't supercharge with a trailer" problem had better be fixed
There is no such “problem”. I have towed over 10K miles with an X and Supercharged many many times.
Excellent points about the Supercharger situation and towing. I know there are a few here and there set up with towing in mind, but I believe that may only be 1 or 2 out of the 8 or 16. Anyone have more knowledge about those? Are they situated closer to camping areas such as National Parks?
I have Supercharged while towing at many different locations. Very few have pull through stalls. I simply unhitch (takes 2 minutes or less), charge, hitch up (max 3 minutes) and go.
The backup camera is a great help for aligning the hitch to the ball.
Agreed. The field of view is so wide that I can see when the hitch ball is in the correct location under the trailer tongue.
lighting, trailer braking, load-leveling, pull-thru superchargers... all necessary for actual towing. none of that is necessary for a simple bike rack.
Again, “pull-thru Superchargers” are not “necessary” for towing.

There are multiple towing threads in the X forums. The issues discussed there are all applicable to the Y when a tow option is offered in the future, which it will be.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
There is no such “problem”. I have towed over 10K miles with an X and Supercharged many many times.

I have Supercharged while towing at many different locations. Very few have pull through stalls. I simply unhitch (takes 2 minutes or less), charge, hitch up (max 3 minutes) and go.

Agreed. The field of view is so wide that I can see when the hitch ball is in the correct location under the trailer tongue.
Again, “pull-thru Superchargers” are not “necessary” for towing.

There are multiple towing threads in the X forums. The issues discussed there are all applicable to the Y when a tow option is offered in the future, which it will be.
Living in rural areas my whole life, I can tell you that if Tesla wants Cybertruck to succeed for the towing crowd they will eventually need to make wide pull through Supercharging spots. Not as easy as you say with many trailers, and rural guys surely aren't going to go through those hoops when they already have gas options they like. So yes, if Tesla wants towing with EV's to succeed then pull through chargers will be necessary.

Anyone know if the Y includes a tow hitch? And if so tow capacities? I haven’t found anything online, but that is a big deciding factor for me to switch out my other car to a Y.
After market hitch installed. I’ll post full details soon! Towing capacity etc.

7C0A93F7-AE82-4CED-99B4-53423D99F6E7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently EVs are not the favored choice for towing heavy rigs. Range is not as good as gas/diesel.

Most Tesla (but not all) use their towing only occasionally or for relatively short distances. A few adventurers do this, and quickly adapt to the Supercharging regiment.

Advantages of using is Tesla to tow is fantastic torque, eco, no expensive gas/diesel to buy, easy conversation starter, quieter than noisy Diesel or underpowered gassers, and ability to use the family car instead of a dedicated tow vehicle.

These, and other advantages somewhat offset the need to Supercharge often and the 5,000 lb towing limit.

I have towed a few times with my X and found easy work arounds for my needs.

So, while a Tesla might not be the best tow vehicle for most, it can be a useful capability for many owners.

All this talk about pull through chargers. Wouldn’t it be simpler ( and cheaper?) for Tesla to just redesign a front charge port? Pull in with trailer. Charge. Back out.
Not a solution because then the trailer is sticking out and completely blocking the lane that people use to get to the Superchargers.

Not a solution because then the trailer is sticking out and completely blocking the lane that people use to get to the Superchargers.

Agree to disagree in this case. No supercharger I’ve been to would have been blocked if someone had been parked there with a 6’ trailer attached while being pulled in.

I’m aware that there are probably locations that this would cause problems. But maybe Tesla could map “trailer accessible” locations.

Agree to disagree in this case. No supercharger I’ve been to would have been blocked if someone had been parked there with a 6’ trailer attached while being pulled in.

I’m aware that there are probably locations that this would cause problems. But maybe Tesla could map “trailer accessible” locations.
You can use this thread for now but it would be nice to have it indicated on Tesla's site or supercharge.info.

Trailer-friendly Supercharger Locations