Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a 26-foot Airstream with a 15-foot Tesla Model 3? Are We Crazy!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I've been following towing practices outside of the US, where, admittedly both the RV rigs and tow vehicles are smaller and lighter.

From my gleanings, tow "capacity" is a fairly bogus concept; much more relevant is the rear overhang of the tow vehicle (meaning: capacity to become a lever when trailer weight transfers to it), hitch type (passive as opposed to active, which balances weight between trailer and TV), and vehicle torque at specific RPM. On top of that, center of gravity is a key characteristic affecting emergency handling.

The Tesla 3 is an ideal TV for a variety of reasons: a) short overhang, b) strong strong from zero RPM, c) low center of gravity.

So called "tow rating" refers to the J2807 standard, which doesn't actually rule out the Tesla 3 as a "non-truck." It is also interesting to note that US "ratings" for cars differ radically from European ratings for the same model. But these ratings have some different assumptions about tongue weight, loaded (gross vehicle weight) and so on, but in the end don't equalize (IOW, sedans in the US receive a lower rating than the same sedans in Europe). It is fairly widely known that the US manufacturers profit exorbitantly from marketing trucks and SUVs, vehicles with widely varying design and capacity, and most with a relatively high center of gravity—not ideal for towing.

In my conversations with insurance companies about tow vehicles I learned that insurance coverage and tow capacity have no connection whatsoever. Yes: that is scary, but that is the reality. You can tow anything with anything in the US. There should be standards, I agree, but having a vehicle with a 10,000 lb rating doesn't buy you more "security" than pulling an Airstream with a VW Golf.

Apart from range, the Tesla 3 could be a wonderful TV, or any Tesla for that matter. The larger X with its "5000 lb" rating certainly pencils out better, and it has suspension that might allow for more weight in the TV, which is convenient.

End of the day, the "ensemble performance" of trailer and TV are what matter, including braking (and it's a misconception that the TV breaks for the trailer—unless you're talking about a small, utility trailer). Trailers such as Airstreams all have their own electric brakes that are capable of stopping at least the trailer, if not assist the TV. Remember that a large truck (F350) is massively heavy and has to have massively large brakes just to compensate for its own weight; it has no inherent advantage over any well designed vehicle with appropriately designed brakes, and neither can stop a trailer and itself.

Hello!

I've been following towing practices outside of the US, where, admittedly both the RV rigs and tow vehicles are smaller and lighter.

From my gleanings, tow "capacity" is a fairly bogus concept; much more relevant is the rear overhang of the tow vehicle (meaning: capacity to become a lever when trailer weight transfers to it), hitch type (passive as opposed to active, which balances weight between trailer and TV), and vehicle torque at specific RPM. On top of that, center of gravity is a key characteristic affecting emergency handling.

The Tesla 3 is an ideal TV for a variety of reasons: a) short overhang, b) strong strong from zero RPM, c) low center of gravity.

So called "tow rating" refers to the J2807 standard, which doesn't actually rule out the Tesla 3 as a "non-truck." It is also interesting to note that US "ratings" for cars differ radically from European ratings for the same model. But these ratings have some different assumptions about tongue weight, loaded (gross vehicle weight) and so on, but in the end don't equalize (IOW, sedans in the US receive a lower rating than the same sedans in Europe). It is fairly widely known that the US manufacturers profit exorbitantly from marketing trucks and SUVs, vehicles with widely varying design and capacity, and most with a relatively high center of gravity—not ideal for towing.

In my conversations with insurance companies about tow vehicles I learned that insurance coverage and tow capacity have no connection whatsoever. Yes: that is scary, but that is the reality. You can tow anything with anything in the US. There should be standards, I agree, but having a vehicle with a 10,000 lb rating doesn't buy you more "security" than pulling an Airstream with a VW Golf.

Apart from range, the Tesla 3 could be a wonderful TV, or any Tesla for that matter. The larger X with its "5000 lb" rating certainly pencils out better, and it has suspension that might allow for more weight in the TV, which is convenient.

End of the day, the "ensemble performance" of trailer and TV are what matter, including braking (and it's a misconception that the TV breaks for the trailer—unless you're talking about a small, utility trailer). Trailers such as Airstreams all have their own electric brakes that are capable of stopping at least the trailer, if not assist the TV. Remember that a large truck (F350) is massively heavy and has to have massively large brakes just to compensate for its own weight; it has no inherent advantage over any well designed vehicle with appropriately designed brakes, and neither can stop a trailer and itself.

(moderator note:)
Welcome to TMC,

When you are a new member, it may take longer than normal for your posts to appear as many times new users posts are sent to moderators to approve before appearing on the site. Just giving you a heads up as to why your post did not immediately appear (and why I deleted the duplicate you created, likely because the first one did not appear right away)

There are A LOT more considerations that go into choosing a safe tow vehicle than “does it have enough power to pull the load.” A LOT.

These people are quickly going to learn about what is referred to in the towing world as “the tail wagging the dog.” Chances are pretty good they won’t repeat this horror on wheels once that lesson is learned.

Tips:
  • If you are going to void your warranty on social media, remove your license plates first.
  • The idea that tow rating is only based on axle to hitch distance, 0 mph torque, and CG is false.
  • Regardless of trailer brakes, you need bigger brakes for towing if it's not engineered for towing. A trailer with locked brakes still applies thrust to the rear of the TV in an emergency stop, plus you need the ability to handle a steep grade with a trailer brake failure since there are no airbrakes.
  • The cooling system is critical on a TV and is seldom adequate in all conditions, so a coolant temp gauge is always available on a true TV.
  • Automakers engineer their sedans to be as light as they can afford to go. This means the unibody or frame is as light as possible. This is the main reason most sedans have a 0 tow rating today, their frames will fatigue prematurely.

Reactions: Phlier and outdoors
I've got an equipment trailer that from stem to stern is 25 feet. It's empty weight is 2750. The trailer is 8 feet wide from fender edge to fender edge. I would not use a Tesla to tow it empty or otherwise. If someone wants to test their Tesla using my trailer empty or with a load on it feel free to contact me