Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a 26-foot Airstream with a 15-foot Tesla Model 3? Are We Crazy!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite interesting talk and driving review about towing a 26-foot Airstream with a 15-foot long Tesla Model 3.

- The tow hitch received a serious reinforcement:

Reinforced Tow Hitch .jpg

Yeah pretty crap video. If you're going to bother then you should load is realistically and drive it actual real distances and see how far you get, how much time stops/charging add to the trip, etc. Early in the video they speculated about this, then didn't seem to provide any useful data besides what the instant consumption told them a few times.

Well, it was surprisingly a good tow vehicle. It helps that the owner owns a big RV tow place, so he knows what he's getting into. ~100 miles of range, is going to make road tripping hard.

Quite interesting talk and driving review about towing a 26-foot Airstream with a 15-foot long Tesla Model 3.

- The tow hitch received a serious reinforcement:

View attachment 600038

And, the "Search for Clicks" continues, with people doing dumber and dumber things, to "get views". I am not going to click the video because maybe one less click helps people NOT do this stupid stuff.

I say towing is more about stopping than it is about going. The brakes on a model 3 already feel challenged to stop the 4000 plus pounds on its own. Even though the trailer has electric brakes a portion of the trailer weight is transferred to the car to stop.

Not to mention the weight distributing hitch has to transfer weight to the front wheels effectively so you can steer and stop.

I don’t think you need a truck to tow but I think the model 3 is the wrong tool for that job.

• Funny
Reactions: JBT66 and LionXng
And, the "Search for Clicks" continues, with people doing dumber and dumber things, to "get views". I am not going to click the video because maybe one less click helps people NOT do this stupid stuff.

Agreed. We just ordered a travel trailer ourselves, and can’t tell you how much research I had to do before purchase to ensure the X can tow it. Safely. Without putting myself, my family and my fellow motorists at undue risk.

I refuse to endorse stupidity with clicks or mashing the like button ...

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
thats just a stupid video - With an EV you can tow almost anything, hence videos of EVs pulling passenger jets etc. You just can't safely tow it on the road. Rather like those moronic 4x4 owners driving around like they're invincible in snow/icy conditions because they have 4WD.
Towing something that size just means you can't control or stop it safely in any kind of emergency.

Agreed. We just ordered a travel trailer ourselves, and can’t tell you how much research I had to do before purchase to ensure the X can tow it. Safely. Without putting myself, my family and my fellow motorists at undue risk.

I refuse to endorse stupidity with clicks or mashing the like button ...

While I dont have a travel trailer (or an X, lol)I agree with something that you said in another thread somewhere, that we are basically the same person, just transplanted on one coast or the other :p