Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a Jayco, Keystone, or Similar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to posting, although not new to Teslas at all. This post is quite reassuring. I have a 2020 model X long range; I have been considering buying a nucamp T@B 320s trailer, 1500lb, and 15.6 ft long. From what I am reading, we could probably manage a cross-country trip, understanding that our range would be decreased quite a bit. Am I correct? Just want to avoid staying in hotels etc in this post-covid world. Thanks for any further reassurances!
Are you referring to this trailer? 2017 T@b 320 S For Sale - Nucamp RVs - RV Trader

Yes your range will be decreased 30 to 50% when towing a trailer like that, but given how extensive the Tesla Supercharging network is now, with careful planning I think you will find it easy to make a cross-country trip.

I tow a RPOD 178 with my 2016 Model X 90D and range is cut by about 45%
That is a slightly larger and heavier trailer than mine and I am not surprised by the range loss you are experiencing. Mine range loss is similar. But range loss is highly speed dependent; there is a significant difference in energy usage at 60mph compared to 50mph. Go over 60 and energy usage really goes up. I typically tow at 55, or 60 if I know that I have sufficient battery capacity to reach my next charging location.

That said, when towing with an ICE energy usage also increases dramatically (MPG goes way down). Whether you are using gas or stored electricity, it takes a lot more energy to tow.

See link below. No details on hitch (or suspension mods) to tow this kind of tongue weight with a Model 3 but it does show Teslas tow well. Just depends how much range you’re willing to live with (and how much you’re ok going over specs by I guess!).

The Tesla Experiment - Blog

I know Canam and their owner are pioneers in towing big trailers with smaller TVs. Curious to know what they would think you could push an X to tow. I’m at max specs of my X (500 tongue weight) with a Bambi 22FB but I do have a Draw-Tite hitch which on its own has a 750 tongue weight rating. I may reach out to them.

Thanks for the link to that blog post by Can-Am RV in London, Ontario Canada. I’m glad to see they are acknowledging that Teslas can be a useful tow vehicle, but they are underestimating their capabilities and for some reason they only mention the Model 3 and not the X. They wrote: “Our theory is that you will be able to travel at 55 MPH (90KMPH) for 2 hours, charge for one hour and then, travel again.” Of course one would never spend an hour at a Supercharger, it’s not necessary. I typically spend 30 minutes. And with an X100D one can drive at 5mph on a level dry road for more like 140 miles, not the 110 miles they postulate. I look forward to a follow up post from Can-Am RV on their testing and hope they get an X to try out. I certainly would like to know what kind of hitch they mounted on the Model 3 shown in the photo.
See link below. No details on hitch (or suspension mods) to tow this kind of tongue weight with a Model 3 but it does show Teslas tow well. Just depends how much range you’re willing to live with (and how much you’re ok going over specs by I guess!).

The Tesla Experiment - Blog

I know Canam and their owner are pioneers in towing big trailers with smaller TVs. Curious to know what they would think you could push an X to tow. I’m at max specs of my X (500 tongue weight) with a Bambi 22FB but I do have a Draw-Tite hitch which on its own has a 750 tongue weight rating. I may reach out to them.

Just bought MS in June. Love the car. Our other vehicles are Ford F250 diesel towing 33 foot Montana fifth wheel. We love to RV and the idea of towing with MX has been discussed.

Thinking about getting MX 100D and towing Gulf Stream 19SSK within the next 12 months. We're retired and never drive more than 300 miles a day, most times less. If range is reduced 50%, we still should be able to make our 300 miles.
We have a 2016 MX 90D and will be picking up our Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser 19CSK in mid-September, so I'll let you know how that goes! We're in the Sacramento, CA, area. Picking up the 19CSK in NW Ohio.

Reactions: Michelx
Hello - I have been searching for forums. We are getting a ~3700 UVW camper (Flagstaff ePro). I am confused about what to do - I am assuming a WDR is recommended for my 100D but unclear. A service center employee told me they think a weight distribution hitch/anti sway would be fine as long as within weight tolerances. But then I read it may not be compatible with the air suspension. This is confusing to me because a lot of trucks have air suspension and auto leveling too and using weight distribution hitches. Do we have a solid recommendation now in 2023 on actually being able to tow what my vehicle is capable of? I would love to use our MX for relatively shorter camping trips, it is the safer vehicle vs our Pilot and kids.