Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always used my Jetta to tow a trailer. Trailer folds up in the garage and I don't need a separate truck. I am hoping to at least be able to do that with the Model 3 and not void the warranty. A small camper would be nice as well. I would put my Leaf up to the task but it is still under warranty and Nissan does not support towing.

With the X they were targeting 10,000 pounds towing capacity but dropped it to 5,000 when the X was released. I don't know if that's a limitation of the electric motors or something else, but I'd bet the 3 will be 2,500 to 3,000 pounds towing capacity.

I will probably too. An interesting note. There is a couple that is driving across country with a slightly bigger version of this trailer with retractable roof. They are driving a model x 90d. at about 56 miles per hour they are consuming about 837 watt hours per mile. My point this is only about 100 miles of range at 56 miles per hour. So I am sure the model 3 will have the horse power and structure to pull one but will it have the battery capacity to practically do it? I think battery capacity is the one thing I will stretch for when it's time to order.

Check out teslaxcanada.com to follow the couples progress. I think what they are doing is pretty cool

So I am sure the model 3 will have the horse power and structure to pull one but will it have the battery capacity to practically do it? I think battery capacity is the one thing I will stretch for when it's time to order.

T3 should have an option (likely software) for 250 mile range vs. TX90's 257, lighter car so, if anything, the range on the T3 should be same or greater with the same towing load. Long range towing is not going to be an EV strong point due to the long recharge time and reduced range issues. But 50-100 miles is great for most boaters (it would get me to the coast for salmon fishing with my boat), bikers, etc.

With required air suspension increasing ground clearance of the tow hitch, a T3 should have the same towing capacity as the TX of 5,000#. I can see Tesla lowering it to 2500 to make it competitive with Subaru Outback but they should keep it to 5,000 to really stand out. Towing capacity is the working man's version of benefit of electric motor drives vs. acceleration for the freeway racing set.

Besides the recharging time, you have decreased range in an ICE as well. The EV is still going to be more efficient.

Efficiency in towing is not the issue. Range and tow rating are the issues. Stopping every 75 miles for a two hour recharge pretty much eliminates current EV's from being long range tow vehicle.

But the market for boat towing is 90% in the 25-50 mile range so a T3 works great. For my twice annual coast fishing trips of 95 miles, it would work because we can live with a four hour charge in the middle of a normally 2 hour trip, tow and launch day are "lost" days anyway. Lake Powell at 800+ miles is out.

Glad Tesla is including the tow package (and liftback) on the working man's Tesla. Hope they aim high on the tow rating.

One nuance that's worth highlighting is that a very efficient car takes a proportionally heavier hit to range when towing. For example, a lifted dually won't see much range reduction from towing a 2000lb 6x10 cargo trailer, but the same trailer would cut a Model X's range by more than half.

The Model 3 will be exceptionally efficient at highway speeds due to it's low drag (both Cd and smaller frontal area). Therefore any increase to that drag, either by bikes on a hitch mount, anything mounted on top, and certainly by pulling a boat, will have an atypically large impact to range. Slow speeds will be needed and extra losses will be seen if the trailer has brakes (due to reduced regen).

Reactions: lklundin
One nuance that's worth highlighting is that a very efficient car takes a proportionally heavier hit to range when towing. For example, a lifted dually won't see much range reduction from towing a 2000lb 6x10 cargo trailer, but the same trailer would cut a Model X's range by more than half.

It's probably all proportional to weight of trailer to tow capacity and weight of the vehicle.

Towing is definitely going to increase EV range anxiety.

It's probably all proportional to weight of trailer to tow capacity and weight of the vehicle.
The proportional weight certainly is a factor but my point is that the proportional drag (with and without trailer) also has a large, possibly greater, influence over range.

Towing trailers or boats with such an aerodynamic and efficient car as the Model 3 will highlight the crappy aerodynamics of typical trailers.

Even if the driver slows to 55 mph, a 10-20 mph headwind or front crosswind could ruin the day.

The proportional weight certainly is a factor but my point is that the proportional drag (with and without trailer) also has a large, possibly greater, influence over range. Towing trailers or boats with such an aerodynamic and efficient car as the Model 3 will highlight the crappy aerodynamics of typical trailers. Even if the driver slows to 55 mph, a 10-20 mph headwind or front crosswind could ruin the day.

Again, no more or less than with big rig duelly. The car is still aerodynamic. It doesn't lose that because it is towing. The energy penalty for towing is the weight, drag of the tow. For the EV's, the starting lower range is the main issue with the long recharge part of it. If you the knock the duelly down from its 400 miles on 40 gallons down to 200 miles, no big deal, a 10 minute fill up and we're on our way.

Until EV's can match the range and recharge rate, long haul towing is going to be an issue. But it is a minor issue in the overall tow market due to 90% of boat towing being in the 20-50 mile range for the T3. For a working man's car like the T3, gotta have some basic tow capability.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zoomit