Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tk1772,

They are the correct frequency and look like they should work for your S.
I cannot tell by looking at them if they have addresses from the factory.
If they have factory addresses after they are installed Tesla will need to use its tool
to program the car's antennas to recognize the new addresses in their new locations.

If they can be programmed by Discount Tire - They will use their tool to "clone" or to match the addresses
of the new sensors with the old sensors.
Your old sensors may not be "readable" by their tool but luckily the address should be marked on each
sensor.
So as Discount Tire removes a sensor, they clone it and replace it in the same tire it came from...
When this is done - The car just reads the sensors and all is good.
To the car the sensors just "suddenly" start to work because you replaced them.

That is a good installed price for the sensors...

The trick is in the tools...
Most tools can read many sensors...
Most tool can program many sensors...
A very few (expensive) tools can plug into your car's ODB port and program the car...
So far only the Tesla Baolong tool can program the older Tesla cars.

I have been working with Ateq for two years now, I hope some day they may incorporate that programming
into their current line of tools.

Shawn
Thanks for your explanation. I will check with Discount and see if they can clone. I've been checking alternative options. Tesla here will charge $150 each tire to replace for a total of $600. I think it's a bit much. Thanks again

I'm not afraid I have to eat crow. I had the Baolong sensors and had them replaced them with the Continental ones by a local tire shop last Friday. On my first drive, and within about five minutes, a wheel change message appeared on the touch screen, I hit OK, the TPMS error message disappeared, and the tire pressures appeared within 60 seconds. So V10, with the Continental TPMS sensors, seems to recognize the wheel change and there's no longer a need for TPMS reset button.

this post confuses me. I thought the baolong and continental sensors only worked with their matching receivers.

Are you saying your car has continental receiver and you used the wrong sensors OR the old style receiver was able to talk to the newer continental sensors?

not trying to embarrass you. Wondering if we are seeing some new feature...

this post confuses me. I thought the baolong and continental sensors only worked with their matching receivers.

Are you saying your car has continental receiver and you used the wrong sensors OR the old style receiver was able to talk to the newer continental sensors?

not trying to embarrass you. Wondering if we are seeing some new feature...

What I'm saying is that the car did not recognize the old sensors and that produced the TPMS error. When I replaced the old sensor with the new Continetals, which were programmed by my tire shop. everything was fine.

Regardless of whether or not 2012-2014 Model S cars can work with the newer sensors, I think it's unreasonable to expect us to have to go to the expense to replace existing - and working - sensors with a whole batch of "Continental" ones.

The fact is this:-
  • Last year we were able to replace sensors and reset the car.
  • This year we can't…
…well, unless we go to all the hassle of trying to arrange a service visit (and what a nightmare that is at the moment) AND pay for the privilege; or/ we pay even more to have every single sensor in the car replaced.

In my own case, I'm trying to fix my wife's June 2014 P85. My local tyre workshop was able to detect the failed sensors with their tool, and these were replaced at a cost of £200 (that's about US $250). Not having realised that the TPMS reset was gone, I was prepared to accept the replacement cost: a straightforward like-for-like replacement that worked last year. However, with no Reset button, things haven't worked. In fact, the "Wheel Configuration" button which sits where the Reset button used to live, makes things even worse: a complete brainstorm of "Traction Control Unavailable", "ABS Unavailable", "Stability Control Unavailable", "Renegerative Braking Unavailable" errors.

After having spent about an hour on hold, during two separate attempts at getting through to Tesla Customer Services,I ended up having a full software replacement pushed to the car. This cleared the "Traction Control Not Available", etc. errors - but they fobbed me off some nonsense about the car automatically resetting the TPMS errors "within 50 miles of driving". Of course, that didn't happen, and so, for our £200, we continue to have a permanent TPMS error decorating the dashboard.

Request to Tesla: whilst I'm sure everyone loves "Fart Mode", it would be more helpful if you could please simply restore the TPMS button (and fix your other bugs, while you're at it).

Hi tj1772,

I used a Dill 2112 on my Roadster (2010) they were $75 each or $95 installed...
My TPMS tool shows the Dill 2112 as OK for Model S 2012-2014 as a
replacement for the Baolong 6004985...

Shawn
Did they have to program the Dill TPMS in order for them to work. My understanding is that you have to either reprogram the car or clone the TPMS for them to work. I don't think my car can recognize the new TPMS automatically. Also, only Tesla can reprogram. I was told by Tesla even if I buy OEM from them that it has to be reprogram for the car to recognize the new TPMS since it's an older Model S.

Hi tj1772,

Yes, you are correct...

If you buy Baolong or the Dill 2112 (Which contain new addresses and therefore cannot be cloned)
you will need Tesla with their tool to update the car. Your car NEVER had a functional button to do this...

If you buy compatible sensors and have them "cloned" or copied with your car's tires addresses,
there will be no need for the Tesla tool to update your car.
The new sensors have the old addresses and the car just sees the new sensors.....
(Remember that the cloned sensors must be replaced in the position they came from.)

Hopefully unusual case 3 - if BOTH of your cars antennas front and rear have corrupt data or have failed
Tesla will need to update the car even for the OLD addresses to work... They may also have to
replace the failed antenna. They are about $160 each plus install labor.

Side note - When I first started my Roadster project and replaced all sensors with new addresses,
I did not have access to a Tesla tool so I used a hack to update the rear antenna with the new addresses.
The front antenna still had the old addresses and the car worked well and reported the proper
TPMS info with different addresses on the front antenna and the rear antenna...
This worked well for about a year until I got a Tesla tool (on loan) and updated the car.

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi Retkimora,

From what I have seen all sensors on a given car are identical except for their addresses...
If you have a more recent car that can identify the sensors by itself you will be fine.

Recent Tesla cars can retain 8 tire addresses in their memory - so there is no need to program between
winter and summer tires.
That may require the elusive and temporarily missing TPMS reset button on your screen.
Only time and new software releases will tell.

I am not sure renting the tool will help you.
Another approach that might work would be to inflate the tires differently
(four different pressures all within the rating of the tires), drive the car, and record where the
different pressures were located - if they match your inflation scheme your are good.
If they do not match, it would give you and idea which sensors were out of place.
Then you could decide a plan of action...

Shawn
Thanks for the info. I just bought new wheels online and then ordered Nokian snow tires from America's Tire and had them mount the tires and wheels on my MX. They provided TPMS sensors for the wheels and said they are compatible. I am on my way back to the tire shop now because they did not clone the sensors (I drove 60 miles waiting for the reset to happen). The tire shop is unaware of the V10 issues with the TPMS not being able to be reset in the vehicle. As customers, we need to inform ensure that the shop hands know about this. I would also recommend that if you buy new wheels, you also get the OEM Continental sensors. One less thing to worry about. Make sure they clone the sensors before giving you back the car (only need to do this once for new wheels or sensors).

Hi D C Palmer,

Depending on which of your cars your are referring to would make
a difference as to what TPMS system it has installed.
Your 2014 should have the Baolong system.
Your 2016 Should have the Continental system.

If they cloned a Chinese sensor for Baolong or Continental, you would not need a button
or reset the new sensor would work.

There is nothing newfangled about the Continental sensors...
They are made in Mexico and used in popular brand cars such as Honda for a long time.

There was an uncertain period in late 2014 or early 2015 when Tesla had a chargeable
retrofit of cars to the Continental sensors which also included the Continental ECU or brains
in the car to replace the Baolong equipment.
So it is not possible me to definitively say what brand sensors are in your car
without inspecting it with a TPMS tool.

My wife's car a 2015 Model S 85D was manufactured in May 2015 and is equipped with Continental
sensors.

Shawn

Hi D C Palmer,

Depending on which of your cars your are referring to would make
a difference as to what TPMS system it has installed.
Your 2014 should have the Baolong system.
Your 2016 Should have the Continental system.

Thanks, Shawn. Yes, it the 2014 car I'm talking about. As I noted earlier, last year I replaced one of the Baolong sensors, because its battery had failed. I was able to get the car to recognise the new sensor - or, at least, to stop complaining about the sensor - by using the TPMS reset button.

This year, two more sensors have failed - and were replaced by my local tyre workshop for £200. Unfortunately, there's no TPMS reset button anymore, so the car is permanently showing an error message in the dashboard.

Mobile Service came yesterday with his portable scanner and this time he was able to reprogram the car directly. Since then the warnings have gone away. He expects a software fix to be issued sometime, as there are lots of instances of this issue with older cars, and he is having to deal with them.
Even after Mobile Service used their portable scanner to program my TPMS sensors, the error came up again today. Great....

I have a 2013 Model S P85 with Gen1 sensors. I just switched over to my winter tires and had the same issue with the reset button disappearing. However I did switch my wheels in the service area to the 19” slipstreams and the car went through the full reboot. After reboot I drove for about 10mins and the TPMS sensors were recognized by the car and all has been working well since.

Software is 2019.36.2.7

• Helpful
Reactions: PaulusdB
I have a 2013 Model S P85 with Gen1 sensors. I just switched over to my winter tires and had the same issue with the reset button disappearing. However I did switch my wheels in the service area to the 19” slipstreams and the car went through the full reboot. After reboot I drove for about 10mins and the TPMS sensors were recognized by the car and all has been working well since.

Software is 2019.36.2.7

can anyone else confirm this? It’s the first I hear about this.
I usually get updates on time as I have our Tesla on a strong wifi but I’m stuck on 19.32 and I think it’s because of the error message. I think any error stops the updates

• Informative
Reactions: PaulusdB
Same TPMS fault on a 2015 90D! Swapped wheels to the original ones 19" for winter and the car gives TPMS error only on the front left wheel. I then swapped front/rear but still showing the front left as the problem! Been to SC twice and they are convinced its down to user error in some way and would need to pay $300 to have it changed. Nevertheless they can't even book me in for service due to ownership transfer still pending (which is obviously in Tesla's control to begin with).

Fantastic when I have a mandatory inspection (MOT) coming up and it will fail meaning the car is not allowed to be on the road. I am at a loss for words when it comes to my SC. I guess I have to swap back to 21" and see if they still work :-(

Just some feedback on my issue. Took it to a tire shop and they found one bad sensor. Replaced all four as a precaution since I was getting new tires anyway. Still have no clue why the car always shows the same wheel faulty despite moving the wheel with the faulty sensor around. In the end it was the rear right sensor that didn't communicate with their tool.

It wasn't continental sensors that were installed, but some generic brand. But they work just fine.

FYI - I received the 19.36 update three weeks after I started receiving the TPMS error...

good to know. That means I’m not getting the update from Tesla not because of TPMS. I called them today and they said there is n update for my car that I have the current update for my vin. I have another friend with a signature S that shows 19.36.

I guess Tesla won’t help so I might have to just upgrade this thing to gem 2 system at my expense. Thanks Tesla

May I ask if someone knows this? I want to replace my winter tires with programmable TPMS sensors on my 2014 S with Baolong by copying the summer TPMS. As most I have the issue that the reset button is gone. Now my question: if the Baolong receiver under the car is taken off the power for a while and restarted does it do a reset by itself or does it write the 4 TPMS values into memory and remembers those after a power loss? I do not want to pay Tesla any money on their software fault for : “we will analyze your issue first”.