Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Track Day Guide for Beginner and Experienced Model 3 Owners

What is your track experience level?

• Newbie - 0 times on track

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • Beginner - 1-5 times on track

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Intermediate - 5-10 times on track

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Randy Pobst - 100+ times on track

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • In between Intermediate and Randy - 10-99 times on track

Votes: 15 21.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MountainPass

Global Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Listings
Track Day Guide
Model-3-Rain-Ripping.jpg

With our years of building, racing and driving in top level sports car racing series in North America, we’ve learned a lot – and we can help give you the simple, useful information you need to make your track day a success. I love the fact that an article like this is not only a good idea, but that it is almost needed at this point. There are so many Model 3’s hitting the track these days and we keep getting asked a lot of really awesome track related questions, so I wanted to take some time to prepare a guide for all of you. Whether this is your first time going to the track, or if you’ve been lapping for many years, this guide is worth reading.

We’ll discuss how you can prepare your car for the track before the event, what you should check on your car at the event, tips for you the driver, and setup advice that you can apply to your car to improve its performance. This page will likely be updated and refined over time, so be sure to bookmark it and check back from time to time.

Due to the formatting not copying over here well, please look at this link!

Track Day Guide

-Sasha

Awesome work! I'm a bit surprised at the tire pressures though, isn't 33-34 PSI hot low for a 4000 pound vehicle?

Im still trying to find my ideal pressure on my 265 RE-71s and so far think 40-42 hot is good for me, but i am on a stock suspension...

Edit: Also, you should add tape and scissors to your track list! Transponder mounting is the hardest part for me :D

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Awesome work! I'm a bit surprised at the tire pressures though, isn't 33-34 PSI hot low for a 4000 pound vehicle?

Im still trying to find my ideal pressure on my 265 RE-71s and so far think 40-42 hot is good for me, but i am on a stock suspension...

Edit: Also, you should add tape and scissors to your track list! Transponder mounting is the hardest part for me :D

We have had great results with those pressures, of course it will vary slightly depending on differences between cars!

Good point, the air skirt vent to the side of the front bumper is a great place to stick the transponder without it being visible.

Great read MPP, thanks for taking such good care of the community.
I'd add white shoe polish to the list, so we can settle this tire pressure question for ourselves.

Usually I would tag the heaviest loaded wheels (fronts in my P3D) with a white stripe that goes from the sidewall to the tread area. When you finish a session you can use this to gauge just how far the tire is rolling over under maximum load.

Great read MPP, thanks for taking such good care of the community.
I'd add white shoe polish to the list, so we can settle this tire pressure question for ourselves.

Usually I would tag the heaviest loaded wheels (fronts in my P3D) with a white stripe that goes from the sidewall to the tread area. When you finish a session you can use this to gauge just how far the tire is rolling over under maximum load.

That's a good idea, and if you have a photographer at the track, reviewing photos is another great way to get an idea of what your tires and suspension are doing mid-corner!

Reactions: GTIceman
I was thinking, when you come hot off the track do you typically put the car in neutral or let the brake engage? I have always been taught not to engage ebrake for fear of warping rotors and leaving hot spots. Maybe not an issue in this car?