Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Track Day Guide for Beginner and Experienced Model 3 Owners

What is your track experience level?

• Newbie - 0 times on track

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • Beginner - 1-5 times on track

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Intermediate - 5-10 times on track

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Randy Pobst - 100+ times on track

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • In between Intermediate and Randy - 10-99 times on track

Votes: 15 21.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking, when you come hot off the track do you typically put the car in neutral or let the brake engage? I have always been taught not to engage ebrake for fear of warping rotors and leaving hot spots. Maybe not an issue in this car?

Hmmm, good point, but I wonder if letting the car go into "Hold" mode would keep it in place on level ground WITHOUT engaging the parking brake?

Ideally, you will spend enough time cooling the brakes off on the track. If you see them smoking when you pull into your parking spot, you should continue driving around the pits until they cool more. The auto-parking brake is definitely a problem. If you have the creep setting turned off you can chock the wheels so it won't roll away, but advising people to leave the car in drive seems unwise.

Ideally, you will spend enough time cooling the brakes off on the track. If you see them smoking when you pull into your parking spot, you should continue driving around the pits until they cool more. The auto-parking brake is definitely a problem. If you have the creep setting turned off you can chock the wheels so it won't roll away, but advising people to leave the car in drive seems unwise.
If I remember correctly the car goes into park as soon as you open the door.

If I remember correctly the car goes into park as soon as you open the door.
If you get out of the seat, i believe.
It may not if hill hold isn't engaged.
It does, i've tried. Tow mode is the best bet if your brakes are still hot when you stop, but as Mountain Pass mentioned it's definitely best to cool on track. Only downside to Tow mode is it doesn't work with Track Mode or when charging - oh and you should probably be on flat ground where you won't roll away :D

I typically do a good cool down lap and then try to drive around the paddock a little before stopping to let my brakes cool down some more, but tow mode is the only real option for ensuring the parking brake doesn't engage.

If you get out of the seat, i believe.

It does, i've tried. Tow mode is the best bet if your brakes are still hot when you stop, but as Mountain Pass mentioned it's definitely best to cool on track. Only downside to Tow mode is it doesn't work with Track Mode or when charging - oh and you should probably be on flat ground where you won't roll away :D

I typically do a good cool down lap and then try to drive around the paddock a little before stopping to let my brakes cool down some more, but tow mode is the only real option for ensuring the parking brake doesn't engage.

The other way to go into neutral is to hold the stalk slightly above drive/below reverse for about 5 seconds. However if you get out of the seat it will shift into park

Interesting thread and it's got me thinking about how Model 3 (in particular) might work on track days in the UK.

The biggest question for me is how much track time an owner would get out of the battery.
Here in the UK, the charger network is in its early days and just looking at a few tracks local to me shows that charging at the track itself is going to be difficult if not impossible in most cases.

So I'm interested to find out what sort of range you've got from a Model 3 Performance when driving on track, so I can see if it's really viable to use on a track day without charging between sessions.

Interesting thread and it's got me thinking about how Model 3 (in particular) might work on track days in the UK.

The biggest question for me is how much track time an owner would get out of the battery.
Here in the UK, the charger network is in its early days and just looking at a few tracks local to me shows that charging at the track itself is going to be difficult if not impossible in most cases.

So I'm interested to find out what sort of range you've got from a Model 3 Performance when driving on track, so I can see if it's really viable to use on a track day without charging between sessions.

Are there any superchargers near the track, or RV outlets at the track?

About 25 kwH of usage in 15 minutes on a relatively fast track (lots of full throttle) in my experience. Hopefully we can get Chademo access eventually as then tracks can install their own fast chargers for us!

I did a quick survey of circuits I would normally visit and most of them don't even have public 50kW or faster chargers within a few miles of the track, let alone within them.

As an example, from my house to my two closest tracks, I'd have to drive around 60 miles just to get there, so that's going to take a lot of my initial charge just to get there and back. I could plan a route in one case to visit a supercharger on the way, but it would still leave me 34 miles to get to the circuit, so 68 miles off my total range effectively.

In all the cases I've looked at, it would be quite difficult from a time and logistics POV to fit the charging in with the actual track day.

So building in travel there and back I'd get maybe 30 minutes on track in an M3P?

I suppose if we wanted to grow demand for EV enthusiasts to do trackdays we're going to have to convince the venues to install chargers?

I did a quick survey of circuits I would normally visit and most of them don't even have public 50kW or faster chargers within a few miles of the track, let alone within them.

As an example, from my house to my two closest tracks, I'd have to drive around 60 miles just to get there, so that's going to take a lot of my initial charge just to get there and back. I could plan a route in one case to visit a supercharger on the way, but it would still leave me 34 miles to get to the circuit, so 68 miles off my total range effectively.

In all the cases I've looked at, it would be quite difficult from a time and logistics POV to fit the charging in with the actual track day.

So building in travel there and back I'd get maybe 30 minutes on track in an M3P?

I suppose if we wanted to grow demand for EV enthusiasts to do trackdays we're going to have to convince the venues to install chargers?

It's worth checking with the individual tracks to see if they have high amperage outlets available. I'm not sure what type they are in the UK, but here in the US, they're the 14-50 outlets (50A), and can add up to around 35 miles per hour of charge.

In the UK, the equivalent to a 14-50 only provides about 20 miles per hour of charge. I just don't see that being practical, especially as 20 'normal' miles probably equates to maybe 4 or 5 'track' miles.

I guess there needs to be a critical mass of EV owners wanting to track their cars before circuit owners will think it's worth it?

It's one of those business propositions where timing is all important but I do think when the M3 comes to the UK in large numbers we could find there will be enough demand to make it viable. One thing in it's favour is the fact that we have very strict noise restrictions at almost every track, so EVs really should be encouraged in every way!

Reactions: MountainPass
I guess there needs to be a critical mass of EV owners wanting to track their cars before circuit owners will think it's worth it?

Yup, but since Tesla has already made over 150K Model 3's i think we will rapidly get to that point (within a year or two).

It's one of those business propositions where timing is all important but I do think when the M3 comes to the UK in large numbers we could find there will be enough demand to make it viable. One thing in it's favour is the fact that we have very strict noise restrictions at almost every track, so EVs really should be encouraged in every way!

Good point! Laguna Seca in California also has noise restrictions, so EV's have that going for them which is nice :)