Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode Request - Limiting Power (Due to Lack of Charging Options)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one thing I was disappointed to see they did not add to thew new Track Mode is limited straight-line acceleration. My last event I consumed between 1,500 and 1,600 wh/mi per session. As my average on-track speed is about 90mph, this means I can theoretically run about 30 minutes from 100%-0% battery. This wouldn't really be an issue if we had access to a Supercharger on-track, or even a Chademo, but for most people a 50-amp outlet is going to be your most likely option, forcing you to cut short or completely eliminate sessions.

Therefore, I think it would be cool if they added a slider to limit straight-line acceleration to say 75%. This could help reduce overall consumption dramatically, allowing you more laps and more time out on the track. Obviously, when you want to go out there and set a fast-lap or a time-trail lap you move it to 100%, but when you consider power starts being limited anyway below 75% SOC, I would rather just have it limited all the time when I want to go out and practice my line and consistency. They could name it "Miata Mode" :p

Thoughts? I realize you could just alternatively limit acceleration with your foot, but this would be an easy and more refined solution.

IMG_20200301_170003.jpg

I love all the dials, buttons that we can do in our car. At the same time, too much of it will start distract from the visceral and immediacy connection between the driver and the machine.

For me I think some tech controlled dynamic to help me push the boundaries of physics is great. It helps me explore and expand my skills as a driver. However, throttling in straight line is something I trust my right foot. Already doing a great job at every out lap and cool down lap.

Reactions: gcmak and wenkan
However, throttling in straight line is something I trust my right foot. Already doing a great job at every out lap and cool down lap.

Back in the day when I drove an ICE racer, crew chief used to artificially limit full throttle travel for enduros because us driver's couldn't be trusted to consider fuel savings; just dumped fuel I guess w/o any extra power to be had but of course we're all flat-to-the-floor kinda folks.

:)

However, it sounds reasonable to set an alarm/limiting threshold based on distance to home or closest supercharger, whichever is closer. This can be easily calculated when engaging track mode so that you will not be stranded by overdriving. Say you are 30 miles from the closest supercharger when you switch to track mode, the car could automatically switch to chill mode when you are reaching 15% percent of battery.

Anyone notice that Track Mode is like missing Standard mode on our cars? Driving with it on for my commute today I notice it's way less touchy but if you get it beans it goes like hell.

Opposite...I haven't tried v2 yet but I've been driving in the paddock after a session and turned track mode v1 off while moving and it feels like the pedal gets way less sensitive with it off.

Reactions: MasterC17
The advantage to adding a slider is that is would be easy (software), safe (block of wood or door stopper is not safe), and allow you to execute normal inputs (more throttle, more power). The only thing you would really adjust is your braking points. Chill Mode would reduce power far too much, though it's a similar idea.

It's not necessary by any means, but especially for people doing their first track-day it would be far more beneficial to spend 50% more time out on the track with less power, than less time on the track scaring the crap out of their instructor (lol).

Setting the slider to full RWD sounds like it may be the best solution as of now.

• Love
Reactions: destructure00
Opposite...I haven't tried v2 yet but I've been driving in the paddock after a session and turned track mode v1 off while moving and it feels like the pedal gets way less sensitive with it off.

Try using it on the streets but driving sanely for a few miles, then turn it off. I think for actual track use after some hard laps I agree with you that it feels more subdued. Not sure how much this is psychological vs. software.

The advantage to adding a slider is that is would be easy (software), safe (block of wood or door stopper is not safe), and allow you to execute normal inputs (more throttle, more power). The only thing you would really adjust is your braking points. Chill Mode would reduce power far too much, though it's a similar idea.

It's not necessary by any means, but especially for people doing their first track-day it would be far more beneficial to spend 50% more time out on the track with less power, than less time on the track scaring the crap out of their instructor (lol).

Setting the slider to full RWD sounds like it may be the best solution as of now.

I wanted a "Slider" between Chill and Sport since day one well before Track Mode for public street driving. Be so simple and intuitive.

Reactions: MasterC17 and Adam3
I've never run track mode on the street, don't see the need. Car is plenty of fun without it.
It's not about a need and nor was I driving it in a reckless manner. Just comparing throttle response mapping under normal driving conditions. Is it beneficial or practical...maybe just to me to know that Tesla can indeed give us a 3rd driving mode for regular use.

Reactions: destructure00