Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its hard for me to justify getting a performance upgrade when I know its an almost permanent loss of miles of range compared to the Aero setup (309 miles vs 269 miles), on top of an already reduced range compared to the RWD.

Regardless, I'm just going to have to eat up the idea that I wont be getting further upgrades in a P3D- or even worse decide to downgrade lol but no...no..lets not go down that path of changing my order again...
If a lot of people change orders and/or cancel deliveries already scheduled, they might actually notice something is amiss and reconsider.

I'm willing to try and downgrade to AWD just to force the issue with my IDA at this point. My delivery is already scheduled, my trade-in is already validated, I already have a VIN. Does Tesla want to risk losing the extra $11k from me just for a stupid software feature? Let's find out. I'm calling tomorrow.

All this happened because of the huge backlash when pricing was first announced, so they scrambled and lowered the price and then made the PUP optional so people could still buy the P model. That seems to have backfired spectacularly. They would have been better off just sticking with the one price. I mean, people were clamoring to make the price cheaper then are complaining they're not getting all the features in the more expensive option, that's just sour grapes. I will strongly agree that they could have made this more clear when ordering, but I honestly think they didn't have the full picture yet. I mean, two months ago the first P model rolled off the assembly line. We are the super early adopters, so we should expect all the bumps and bruises that go along with it, or wait until the dust clears and purchase at a later time.

I'm gonna quote my own post again because this is clearly what has happened. The original intent was to have one P model with all the stuff. People got mad at the price so then Elon tweeted and all of a sudden the whole Tesla workforce had to scramble and figure out pricing for a P model without all the stuff. Track mode wasn't even a thing yet, so it wasn't listed on the upgrade package. People were gonna complain about range loss so they put 235 tires on the P model. They needed huge rear brakes for track mode so they put 20" wheels on it. They're trying to please everyone and in the end have pissed everyone off. But once again, the first model rolled off the assembly line two months ago and in that time it seems a whole confluence of forces have been acting to destroy the company. I really hope they can figure out how to smooth this over but the reality is this happened because they were trying to smooth other stuff over.

If a lot of people change orders and/or cancel deliveries already scheduled, they might actually notice something is amiss and reconsider.

I'm willing to try and downgrade to AWD just to force the issue with my IDA at this point. My delivery is already scheduled, my trade-in is already validated, I already have a VIN. Does Tesla want to risk losing the extra $11k from me just for a stupid software feature? Let's find out. I'm calling tomorrow.

I bet your loan will be $11,000 smaller and your car will be one second slower.

Please do. I'd have a much bigger issue since my bank sent Tesla the check yesterday for a value greater than the MSRP for a P3D- ....based on a VIN that isn't on my account anymore (but on my MVPA lol). For me its either upgrade or keep P3D-.

If I could do it all over again I'd probably just stick with the AWD model as I originally configured on 6/30.

But he would've made a statement! And I might benefit from that statement lol....

Reactions: MXWing
How many people are buying Model 3s to take them on the track? i bet 99% of ya'll have never been on a racetrack before.
My other car. I don't know if I'm the exception or the rule, but I ordered a Performance Model 3 with the expectation of being able to track it.
13879316_806888648686_3669809454225346311_n.jpg

I switched my order from AWD to Performance the day the first Performance drive reviews started coming out, July 20, in part because of track mode. To find out it wasn't included with my car more than a month later, more than two weeks after I took ownership, is unacceptable.

@Shizzrock It's still not listed and Tesla intentionally waited this long to put this information out there.

This could be true, I just can't even figure out a good reason for them to have done it except it wasn't ready and they didn't know if it would work. But it could have been intentional, but why intentionally omit a feature? Oh, I guess so people who couldn't afford the PUP would spring for the regular P instead of AWD. Alright, fair enough.

I'm paying cash for the balance difference between my trade-in S and the P3D-. There's no loan involved here. I would just have $11k more in my pocket if I went through with this. That, and 1 second slower 0 to 60. Does Tesla really think that's worth $11k by itself and literally nothing else? Who made this decision anyways?

I'm paying cash for the balance difference between my trade-in S and the P3D-. There's no loan involved here. I would just have $11k more in my pocket if I went through with this. That, and 1 second slower 0 to 60. Does Tesla really think that's worth $11k by itself and literally nothing else? Who made this decision anyways?
If it's no difference to you I would gladly accept an 11K donation :)

Also this is a really bad look because they made this decision AFTER they started shipping P3D's to customers. This should have been decided on BEFORE having sold P3D cars and clearly posted on the website. People would have been fine with considering if the PUP was worth paying for if it was made clear on day 1 that Track Mode was only included with PUP.

And exactly the same as a P3D- at speeds greater than 60mph (i.e. track speeds).

Perhaps and no issue with that. It’s just not what 99% of the populace looks at when comparing a 3 series and an M3 that the speeds are the same after 60.

The focus is up to 60, not after.

Obviously, I’m disappointed that Tesla didn’t do a better job at communicating the differences at order time.

I feel bad P- feel screwed but they truly gambled. They basically took the LR tire/brake setup and was expecting the whole enchilada.

It’s too risky to do that if the feature was essential.

If you are risk adverse and want to maximize your chances of delivery prior to end of year, 3P or 3P+ is the way to go.

If you are risk adverse, I would roll the dice on a RWD LR Model 3. Tax credit is probably down to 1750 for the SR. Or could be zero if Tesla decides they need to ship P3+ worldwide where there isn’t a US tax credit.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
It seems that a lot of people are pissed about the track mode only being available with performance + package. I see lots of people posting on Twitter, Reddit and here cosidering downgrading to AWD because 11k for aa lowe 0-60 seem not worth it. I hope Tesla change their mind just like when they made the white interior exclusive to the performance model only or when the Performance model was 78k. Tesla needs cash bad we will see what happens.