TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Track Mode

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Guest, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Guest

Guest Member

I really hope they open up track Mode for versions other then the Performance. Just because you don't spring for that doesn't mean you don't have interest in taking it to the track. RWD and AWD models deserve to have fun too. I plan to choose my own performance upgrades from the std AWD and not get the Performance package.

• Funny x 2
  2. ZeroRider

ZeroRider Member

Don't hold your breath. Tesla needs to provide incentive for buyers to choose the $5k upgrade - and it appears as though they have. If you truly want everything the performance package offers, just go for it, the overall experience will almost certainly be better than any mishmash of aftermarket parts.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  3. rluciano

rluciano Member

My question is does track mode exist on the performance without the upgrade package? I hope so, but I’m afraid not.

• Informative x 1
  4. JulienW

JulienW Member

Probably not since you should have performance tires and even more importantly BRAKES for tracking.

5. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

"Track" mode would also be useful for autocross which doesn't stress the brakes so much. I'm pretty sure every variant of the BMW 3 series allows you to fully disable stability and traction control

• Like x 3
  6. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Actually I think the OP was talking about it being on the standard AWD. So it may be an incentive for buyers to pay $16k for track mode. ($11k to upgrade to the performance model and $5k to add the performance upgrade package.)

• Helpful x 1
  7. Guest

Guest Member

Track Mode as $16k incentive... Ha. Mountain Pass is working on a track defeat already for the RWD. Properly chosen aftermarket suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, will likely be better than what Tesla offers.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

With Tesla you have to pay to play which makes sense ...ie you want luda mode in X or S you pay for the P ..wouldn’t count at all but only the Performance 3s getting this

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. outie

outie Active Member

Not really sure because the $5k package does not list track mode in the bullets.

• Like x 1
  10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

My money says the $5k buys u the extra button ;):(

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  11. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Good point....

Good brake size= Good track performance (mode)

12. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Tesla already has precedence for this ..this was similar to the P85 / P85+ days ...you paid a premium for the better suspension and staggered tires .. I guess I would ask why get a Performance 3 without getting the performance package ? Down the road I’m sure on resell a buyer would pay some premium for this

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. outie

outie Active Member

I don’t doubt track mode is available for the $5k package ;).

• Love x 1
  14. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

@outie this is like paying $5k on the X to get the doors to open for u lol :oops:

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  15. Daniel in SD

Does anyone find it a little ridiculous that we're talking about whether or not Tesla is going to charge us money to turn off a feature?

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  16. Garlan Garner

I'm not sure anyone is saying that.

• Disagree x 1
  17. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

The original question was whether you get track mode with standard AWD ...my money still says no ;)

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  18. Daniel in SD

As far as I can tell "Track mode" is just disabling stability control and traction control. Something that competitors cars allow you to do without disconnecting sensors.

• Like x 2
  19. Garlan Garner

Great...so now Tesla is will allow the same - through software.

20. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

..agree that’s what it probably does...but Tesla already has history of making u pay extra for nice buttons ...ie u want a submarine avatar you pay for air suspension ..u want luda button u get P etc ...only thing they have given free this year was graphite trim and different color wood :eek:

• Disagree x 1