Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So much :mad: in this thread with equal amounts of :rolleyes:.

Folks, this is Tesla. You got what you paid for, and sometimes when you pay a little more, you also get surprised with a little more.

I got less than what I paid for. It was an announced feature for Performance Dual Motor Model 3's when I bought my car. It was not listed as part of the Performance Upgrade Package. Any logical person would take that to mean its standard in the Performance Dual Motor Model 3.

They also several times clarified what's in the Performance Upgrade Package several times and never included Track Mode in it. If I have to get the package to get a feature that was already announced before I bought the car, tell me that before I buy the car, not after.

Last edited:
Not happy.

P3D- delivery scheduled for next week. Weighing my options here. Not sure if I should call my IDA and see if I can get downgraded to regular AWD. I like the 1 second faster 0-60 on P3D- but if they are going to make me pay $10,000 just for that but tell me to pound sand for software features like Track Mode then I think maybe I need to make my displeasure known.

Someone should be tweeting Elon about this because it's not cool.

So much :mad: in this thread with equal amounts of :rolleyes:.

Folks, this is Tesla. You got what you paid for, and sometimes when you pay a little more, you also get surprised with a little more.
Indeed. I encourage people here to go build performance models with Porsche, MB, Audi, BMW and those priced similar. You want to talk about being nickled and dimed? How about a 911 with options surpassing the cost of the 911 itself?

• Love
Reactions: SD_Engnr and P85_DA
I was clearly wrong about my prediction on this one.

I completely disagree with their decision even though i got the P3D+

I got the P3D+ because I figured I was going to be a light/casual track user, and I didn't want to deal with tires/brakes/etc.

If I was a hardcore track user I'd want more control over the brakes/suspension/etc. I could have completely understood a gimped/modified track mode for those without the + package. But, not taken away entirely.

I got less than what I paid for. It was an announced feature for Performance Dual Motor Model 3's when I bought my car. It was not listed as part of the Performance Upgrade Package. Any logical person would take that to mean its standard in the Performance Dual Motor Model 3.

To be fair, any logical person would take that to mean its not standard in either config. The fact that it was announced after orders were opened would reinforce this. All this happened because of the huge backlash when pricing was first announced, so they scrambled and lowered the price and then made the PUP optional so people could still buy the P model. That seems to have backfired spectacularly. They would have been better off just sticking with the one price. I mean, people were clamoring to make the price cheaper then are complaining they're not getting all the features in the more expensive option, that's just sour grapes. I will strongly agree that they could have made this more clear when ordering, but I honestly think they didn't have the full picture yet. I mean, two months ago the first P model rolled off the assembly line. We are the super early adopters, so we should expect all the bumps and bruises that go along with it, or wait until the dust clears and purchase at a later time.

Reactions: P85_DA
Its not just about the extra cost on the upgeade to me

Its that I can't configure the exact options that I want (Aero wheels). If I could get the PUP and be able to swap aero wheels on it at my leisure I would have paid for it.
Someone much smarter and better at engineering than me should read this and create an aftermarket solution for it. Seems like the effort would pay off.

If the feature was absolutely critical, the risk adverse approach would have been to pay for the performance upgrade package.

Those rationalizing in their head that they were just going to put better aftermarket equipment using the 5000 had to be prepared that they were gambling.

They gambled and they lost.

The explanation is very logical.

For reasons of margin, supply/demand, product differentiation, and possible cover your ass, it was possible if not probable, Tesla would require their performance upgrade package.

If Tesla just called it appearance upgrade package, one could have a better argument.

But since it specifically has a BBK it was far riskier to take your chances on not choosing the PUP if track mode was essential.

To be fair, any logical person would take that to mean its not standard in either config. The fact that it was announced after orders were opened would reinforce this. All this happened because of the huge backlash when pricing was first announced, so they scrambled and lowered the price and then made the PUP optional so people could still buy the P model. That seems to have backfired spectacularly. They would have been better off just sticking with the one price. I mean, people were clamoring to make the price cheaper then are complaining they're not getting all the features in the more expensive option, that's just sour grapes. I will strongly agree that they could have made this more clear when ordering, but I honestly think they didn't have the full picture yet. I mean, two months ago the first P model rolled off the assembly line. We are the super early adopters, so we should expect all the bumps and bruises that go along with it, or wait until the dust clears and purchase at a later time.

They are making less money on the P+ than on the standard performance FYI

Its not just about the extra cost on the upgeade to me

Its that I can't configure the exact options that I want (Aero wheels). If I could get the PUP and be able to swap aero wheels on it at my leisure I would have paid for it.
Yes, the main reason I went P3D- instead of P3D+ was because I wanted 18" wheels instead of 20" wheels. If they had offered a PUP with 18" wheels I would have paid the $5,000 for that.

This puts me in an annoying situation, now I have to figure out if I want to cancel my pending delivery. I suppose I should at least be happy I didn't rush into ordering my P3D and have the option of changing my mind. People who already took a delivery of a P3D- should rightfully be feeling pissed right now.

Indeed. I encourage people here to go build performance models with Porsche, MB, Audi, BMW and those priced similar. You want to talk about being nickled and dimed? How about a 911 with options surpassing the cost of the 911 itself?

When I was pricing an RS3 I found out you can't get magnetic suspension with ceramic brakes no matter what options you select. So, you make a decision of what's more important.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA