Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already took delivery of my Model 3 Performance, which I upgraded to from an initial base AWD order largely because of track mode. Up until last night I was given zero indication that my purchase didn't include track mode. You can say that I could have guessed it didn't, or that I gambled, but its ridiculous that I would have to guess what's included in a $64k purchase.

I'm going to email Tesla today to see it it still possible to get track mode without PUP, or how to get downgraded to base AWD and get my $11k back. Upgrading to P3D+ is not an option for me because I already stretched my budget to get a car that I had a reasonable expectation I would be able to drive on a track.

Tesla has your money already, and you have the car. You paid for everything they said you would get - it's right there on your MVPA.

I still don't understand how people ignored the available facts regarding the standard brakes being insufficient for track use, yet are complaining about missing out on a feature that is for track use.

Also, we don't know if those of us who chose wisely (based on available facts), will have to pay for track mode or not. All the tweet said was that it will "only be available with the Performance Upgrade Package". Remember that the original $78k price was initially announced and the tweet read that "Cost of all options, wheels, paint, etc is included (apart from Autopilot)." There's still room for Tesla to charge an additional $5k for the track mode to get close to that $78k. Not that I want them to do that, but there's still a chance.

Tesla has your money already, and you have the car. You paid for everything they said you would get - it's right there on your MVPA.

I still don't understand how people ignored the available facts regarding the standard brakes being insufficient for track use, yet are complaining about missing out on a feature that is for track use.

Also, we don't know if those of us who chose wisely (based on available facts), will have to pay for track mode or not. All the tweet said was that it will "only be available with the Performance Upgrade Package". Remember that the original $78k price was initially announced and the tweet read that "Cost of all options, wheels, paint, etc is included (apart from Autopilot)." There's still room for Tesla to charge an additional $5k for the track mode to get close to that $78k. Not that I want them to do that, but there's still a chance.

No facts ignored, planned on upgrading brakes from the start.

As for your last point, yes, we still don't know what track mode means, if it will come at a cost, etc. Just a continued lack of clarity from Tesla. Owners get used to that, but we don't have to like it or expect better.

Reactions: Arpe
Just a continued lack of clarity from Tesla. Owners get used to that, but we don't have to like it or expect better.

Agreed. I waited 3 weeks before ordering my car because there wasn't sufficient information available regarding what exactly was provided in the performance upgrade package. That was a long 3 weeks, but I wanted to know exactly what was included. Not that I wanted the 20" wheels with only 8.5" width, but because I wanted the brakes and gambled on the fact that any additional performance features/modes would most likely only be available to the highest trim.

Can someone explain why people would downgrade to awd from p3d- if you’re upset about track mode? If not having track mode bothered you that much, why aren’t you instead just upgrading to p3d+?

It may be because they think that a P3D- is only a software change from an AWD and they think they can just get Tesla to downgrade the VIN they are about to take delivery of. While P3D- might essentially just be software, the motors are binned and double tested which means that they have different part numbers. So I think there is zero chance of Tesla downgrading an existing VIN.

Now if they want to cancel their order, or refuse delivery, and re-order an AWD car that is a different story. I think they risk loosing their $3500, or $2500, deposit this way. Or maybe Tesla will let them change their order for a $500 change fee?

I’m actually coming from the other side and regret getting the PUP because of the extensive work required to maximize range on the Model 3P+.

Unless I am tracking it which is a relatively small percentage of driving time, the + package is mostly just rice.

Rice that isn’t even here yet because the spoiler and badge suppliers didn’t buy it when Elon said funding was secured for net 60 terms. ;)

Finding a 18” solution that can cover the BBK and accept the aero covers does not exist to my knowledge.
18 TST do....at least that’s what they claim

Reactions: Skione65
I agree that there was a failure to communicate adequately about this ahead of purchases, but I also agree with one of the above posts that said if the absence of track mode was a dealbreaker for you from the start, the only way to guarantee it was to go P3D+. Every thing else was some degree of a gamble.

No manufacturer can account for the stupid things people will do to vehicles. As an example I point to the whole “stance” scene. That’s often just suspension, wheels and tires and they absolutely ruin otherwise capable cars.

For the 1% of folks that every push a car beyond 80% of its capability, if you want a new car with decent track capabilities and a warranty, the market says you have to pay for that convenience. That’s not limited to Tesla. Look at every other oem that offers a track package (example the 1LE package for $7500 on top of the base price of a ZL1 Camaro, or even things like sport chrono packages & ceramic brakes on Porsches).

When I ordered my 3 that was the discussion in my house. “What version are you not going to have to mess with to get it on the track?” $5k didn’t strike me as unreasonable to have the OEM performance package. A reasonably well engineered aftermarket brake package for my BMW would be $5k alone. And I do plan to add a set of lighter weight wheels and stickier tires for the track.

Many underestimate how easy it is to screw up balance and handling with a single poor choice when picking wheels, tires, springs, damping rates, etc., so while aftermarket is often less expensive, it takes a lot of knowledge by vehicle owners and engineering by the aftermarket companies to get it right.

There’s a reason that, in general, aftermarket performance mods do nothing to increase the value of a car and in many cases reduce the resale value. Nobody knows how well it was engineered or installed, and it adds risk.

After throwing tens of thousands of dollars into modifying a few other vehicles for track use, I’m now a believer that just buying the track version from the beginning has the lowest lifecycle cost, lowest effort, and results in the safest vehicle.

To defend Tesla's decision to limit track mode to P3D+, this guy cooked his stock brakes and rotors after 8 laps at Laguna Seca and got Tesla to replace them. I think Tesla has a real fear that poorly informed P3D- would do the same with track mode.
As I recall that guy had to pay to fix his brakes and it cost a few thousand dollars because Tesla sells the caliper and pads as a complete assembly o_O
That guy also killed his brakes without track mode so I don’t see what track mode has to do with it.

It may be because they think that a P3D- is only a software change from an AWD and they think they can just get Tesla to downgrade the VIN they are about to take delivery of. While P3D- might essentially just be software, the motors are binned and double tested which means that they have different part numbers.

?

Any evidence to support that part number claim?

I ask because the VIN letter that indicates what motors come in the car is the same for p and awd

Tesla sells the caliper and pads as a complete assembly

giphy.gif

I saw the initial track report and the toasted brakes, but I didn't follow it to this point.

Any evidence to support that part number claim?

I ask because the VIN letter that indicates what motors come in the car is the same for p and awd

No, do you have any evidence that there isn't a difference?

How else can Tesla make sure to install the correct motors in the correct car? Put a post-it note on them?

We won't know for sure until people start tearing their cars apart or someone gets access to the parts catalog.

As I recall that guy had to pay to fix his brakes and it cost a few thousand dollars because Tesla sells the caliper and pads as a complete assembly o_O

As I recall that is because Tesla hasn't brought in the pads as a separate item yet. (Who would have thought pads on an EV would be worn out so quickly?) Though it was weird that everything had a different part number and individual prices on his invoice...

But I am pretty sure I have seen that other people have been able to get just pads from Tesla now.

Quick sanity check... no one is ENTITLED to any additional performance updates Tesla may or may not release. Tesla can release any upgrades to certain models to the exclusion of others if they deem it wise for safety and/or profit via steering buyers to higher trims. Ask yourself, would you make these complaints if you had just bought a Range Rover and found out that additional self driving features were coming out in 2 months to the next model year version?

One of the main things I like about Tesla is that they are not like the other traditional car brands. They don’t make model years so timing your purchase is futile. You buy a piece of hardware at a given time with its then current specs and features. Any new upgrades Tesla rolls out is pure gravy. Gravy that you are not entitled to get. Be happy if you do but don’t complain if you didn’t. Because after you’re done complaining you are driving the same car you chose and love... the same car that when you hit purchase on the Tesla website there was no promise or even mention that a track mode would ever be enabled on your chosen model.

I agree that there was a failure to communicate adequately about this ahead of purchases, but I also agree with one of the above posts that said if the absence of track mode was a dealbreaker for you from the start, the only way to guarantee it was to go P3D+. Every thing else was some degree of a gamble.

No manufacturer can account for the stupid things people will do to vehicles. As an example I point to the whole “stance” scene. That’s often just suspension, wheels and tires and they absolutely ruin otherwise capable cars.

For the 1% of folks that every push a car beyond 80% of its capability, if you want a new car with decent track capabilities and a warranty, the market says you have to pay for that convenience. That’s not limited to Tesla. Look at every other oem that offers a track package (example the 1LE package for $7500 on top of the base price of a ZL1 Camaro, or even things like sport chrono packages & ceramic brakes on Porsches).

When I ordered my 3 that was the discussion in my house. “What version are you not going to have to mess with to get it on the track?” $5k didn’t strike me as unreasonable to have the OEM performance package. A reasonably well engineered aftermarket brake package for my BMW would be $5k alone. And I do plan to add a set of lighter weight wheels and stickier tires for the track.

Many underestimate how easy it is to screw up balance and handling with a single poor choice when picking wheels, tires, springs, damping rates, etc., so while aftermarket is often less expensive, it takes a lot of knowledge by vehicle owners and engineering by the aftermarket companies to get it right.

There’s a reason that, in general, aftermarket performance mods do nothing to increase the value of a car and in many cases reduce the resale value. Nobody knows how well it was engineered or installed, and it adds risk.

After throwing tens of thousands of dollars into modifying a few other vehicles for track use, I’m now a believer that just buying the track version from the beginning has the lowest lifecycle cost, lowest effort, and results in the safest vehicle.

This is a fantastic explanation. I'm sure lots of pissing into the wind will continue throughout the internet for who knows how long but you nailed all the practical elements for why "things are the way they are."

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Keep in mind that some people, like myself, bought the car with a reasonable expectation that it was included in the base performance model since at no point was any indication given that it was exclusive to the premium upgrade. There's a lot of reports that people directly asked Tesla staff if it was for base performance models before ordering their cars and were told it was. This isn't a issue where people bought a car/phone/whatever thinking it was top of the line only to have the new updated version announced shortly afterward, we bought that product after being told that's the version we were getting.

Would you react the same way for example, if only after delivering cars people were told that the standard range battery isn't able to supercharge, when there was no indication that supercharging was exclusive to the long range option?

Keep in mind that some people, like myself, bought the car with a reasonable expectation that it was included in the base performance model since at no point was any indication given that it was exclusive to the premium upgrade.

Can you point me to the first announcement from Tesla about track mode being included on any version of the Model 3? I had only seen reviewers report that they were playing with the track mode which Tesla hadn't released any details on. (Not only including what it would do, but what cars would get it.)

The first time I remember seeing someone from Tesla officially talk about it is when Elon was talking to MKBHD, and that only included talk about what it might include not on which cars it would be available on.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and JeffK
What if Tesla introduced a paid track mode upgrade to the P3Ds without the performance upgrade package that allows them to recoup development costs (like how they sell Autopilot), but still allowed people to choose their preferred aftermarket wheels and brakes? Would that satisfy those that didn't choose the package? If so what would you be willing to pay for that?

Seems like a reasonable compromise to me to deter people from killing themselves with insufficient brakes/tires but still allow track enthusiasts flexibility to choose options alacarte.

I'm not a track guy, but I would love to have the ability to shut off traction control and ramp up regen from time to time. I would be willing to pay more for these functions. I ordered a P3D- thinking this might be an option seeing as what I bought has the word PERFORMANCE in it! What I'm saying, like many others, is that Tesla missed out on eeking another $5k out of me because they stuffed up comms on this like they so often do.
It's not a deal breaker, I'm not going to go off and cry - it's just makes for stupid business.

Can you point me to the first announcement from Tesla about track mode being included on any version of the Model 3? I had only seen reviewers report that they were playing with the track mode which Tesla hadn't released any details on. (Not only including what it would do, but what cars would get it.)

The first time I remember seeing someone from Tesla officially talk about it is when Elon was talking to MKBHD, and that only included talk about what it might include not on which cars it would be available on.
Elon tweeted that the Performance Model 3 would beat an M3 around a track. There is no way that will be possible without disabling the stability control and traction control systems. BMW allows you to do that even on their base models.