TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tracking bugs?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by cameronr, Aug 25, 2017.

1. cameronr

cameronr Member

I don't even have my Tesla yet but it seems like there are a bunch of longstanding bugs that bother people. I think the best way to try and get them fixed is to keep track of them in one place, sorted by the number of people affected. I've been toying around with the idea of setting up a bug tracker where people can add / up vote issues they're having. Then, maybe it tweets at Elon each week with the top issues. For example, if the USB playback issues are the top community issue every week, I have to imagine it'd be more likely to be fixed.

So my question is do people think it'd be worth setting something like that up? It'd only be compelling if people used it. Also, we'd have to keep the issues fairly specific to keep them actionable (e.g. "when connected via usb, the car picks a random source" vs "usb playback sux").

To give me a sense of the problems, what are the top bugs people are running into today?

2. eschummer

eschummer Member

3. cameronr

cameronr Member

That thread is 1400 messages long spread over 5 years. My thinking is that if we could present Tesla with a sorted / prioritized list of things to fix (instead of a thread), it'd be more likely for those to be addressed.

4. cameronr

cameronr Member

I don't even have my Tesla yet but it seems like there are a bunch of longstanding bugs that bother people. I think the best way to try and get them fixed is to keep track of them in one place, sorted by the number of people affected. I've been toying around with the idea of setting up a bug tracker where people can add / up vote issues they're having. Then, maybe it tweets at Elon each week with the top issues. For example, if the USB playback issues are the top community issue every week, I have to imagine it'd be more likely to be fixed.

So my question is do people think it'd be worth setting something like that up? It'd only be compelling if people used it. Also, we'd have to keep the issues fairly specific to keep them actionable (e.g. "when connected via usb, the car picks a random source" vs "usb playback sux").

To give me a sense of the problems, what are the top bugs people are running into today?

(I'd started this thread in the wrong subforum so moving here)

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Well, we need a thread everyone will see... is there one in the X forums too? We really need a re-org... :D

We may need something off-site where people can vote on each one as to what is most important, unless you want to tally the votes?

6. cameronr

cameronr Member

Yeah, I was talking about creating something offsite that would let people post new issues and vote for existing ones as a way of organizing / prioritizing the issues.

7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Excellent. Be nice to know who thinks what is a priority. Tesla needs something more than Elon's twitter (sigh).

8. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Several software products I use have a system like that for improvements, unfortunate that for Tesla we're talking about doing it to simply rectify bugs in software that should be working. Of course one person's bug fix is another person's enhancement.

In any case, if you put together the system, I'm pretty sure there would be lots of response from the community.

• Like x 1
  9. Rytis

Rytis Member

Great idea! I can host such a system, will set up one tomorrow if nobody steps up by then.

10. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

You are so cute. I admire your optimism. But don't worry, time will fix that.

11. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member