Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Jaff, I've never had Ford, Honda, Acura, Porsche, Mercedes or BMW deliver a car that was missing pieces and take months to complete the delivery. Tesla has done so twice...100% of the two purchases. Two years ago I attributed it to them still being young and not having their processes buttoned up yet.

On the quality front, I've had two cars legally categorized as lemons out of about 15 cars...a Porsche and now a Tesla. I never said German engineering was infallible. You can poke fun or ridicule if you want. I'm just trying to provide another perspective even if it isn't welcome here. I've said all I'm going to say. Good luck to those of you taking delivery. I hope yours will be awesome.

Looks like "German engineering" ain't infallible after all...

"Mercedes-Benz recall includes 284,000 cars with faulty taillights" Mercedes-Benz recall includes 284,000 cars with faulty taillights - CSMonitor.com

"BMW recalls 1.6 million cars on airbag concerns" BMW recalls 1.6 million cars on airbag concerns - Jul. 16, 2014

"Audi recalls 2013-2014 S6 and S7 models over fuel line leak" Audi recalls 2013-2014 S6 and S7 models over fuel line leak

Looks like even the best German vehicles can suck right up there with the best of em! :wink: :biggrin:

How is it that you haven't figured out that any man-made object, from MB to BMW to Tesla, to artificial hip, to computer program can fail?

More importantly, why are you holding Tesla to a different standard?

I got into my P85D at 9am this morning to drive it to Tesla Burlingame after last night's warning light came on but it was completely dead. Roadside assistance sent Cal Towing to help. We jump started the battery and it eventually powered on with the front-motor warning still there. We tried to put it into neutral or raise the suspension but it also warned that the 12v battery had lost power and so the vehicle would be unsafe to drive. We managed to get it into tow mode before the car died again, this time for good.

Most disconcerting to me is that the 12V battery failed on this P85D. The 12V failed twice on my P85 and it's the only component that could lead to a catastrophic failure because it operates the drive computer. Thankfully in all cases so far, my vehicle was stationary in my garage when the failure started and I hope that they are able to substantially improve the quality of this component.

Owning a Tesla is a bit of a challenge at times, but after driving the BMW loaner car to my office today, I just can't imagine going back to a typical luxury ICE vehicle with their antiquated interiors. I hope the reliability improves and I am confident that it will and until my faith dies, I'll hang on to the car. I'll also point out that I had 2 Audis completely die on me -- one leading to a fire, and another to a total shutdown of the engine while turning into oncoming traffic.

I shot an email to elonmuskoffice@ with a picture of the dead P85D and I'm hoping that Mr Musk will pay attention to the quality problems of the sedans. I'm looking forward to when the car is repaired because it's just so fun to drive and is a huge huge improvement over my P85.

Fingers crossed that the rest of your deliveries go well.

Last edited:
I got into my P85D at 9am this morning to drive it to Tesla Burlingame after last night's warning light came on but it was completely dead. Roadside assistance sent Cal Towing to help. We jump started the battery and it eventually powered on with the front-motor warning still there. We tried to put it into neutral or raise the suspension but it also warned that the 12v battery had lost power and so the vehicle would be unsafe to drive. We managed to get it into tow mode before the car died again, this time for good.

Most disconcerting to me is that the 12V battery failed on this P85D. The 12V failed twice on my P85 and it's the only component that could lead to a catastrophic failure because it operates the drive computer. Thankfully in all cases so far, my vehicle was stationary in my garage when the failure started and I hope that they are able to substantially improve the quality of this component.

Owning a Tesla is a bit of a challenge at times, but after driving the BMW loaner car to my office today, I just can't imagine going back to a typical luxury ICE vehicle with their antiquated interiors. I hope the reliability improves and I am confident that it will and until my faith dies, I'll hang on to the car.

I shot an email to elonmuskoffice@ with a picture of the dead P85D and I'm hoping that Mr Musk will pay attention to the quality problems of the sedans.

I'm looking forward to when the car is repaired because it's just so fun to drive and is a huge huge improvement over my P85.

My guess is there was nothing wrong with your 12v battery. Instead, you found an edge case where if the front motor fails that the car won't go into sleep mode and it no longer performs its regular cycle of charging the 12v from the traction pack, resulting in your 12v battery being completely drained.

A firmware update can fix this. It just sucks to be the first.

So.. highway range first impressions.... not impressed.

I drove a 40 mile stretch of highway normally with the cruise set at 78. 474Wh/mi. Was around 340 in my P85 last month.

Only one data point but not promising...

I'll try again on the return trip.

On the quality front, I've had two cars legally categorized as lemons out of about 15 cars...a Porsche and now a Tesla.

So let me understand. Did you have your 2012 Tesla "legally categorized as a lemon" and then you ordered a P85D? Or are you saying that because Tesla gave you the option of not accepting your P85D since it was not being delivered with the nextgen seats that you are calling that a legal lemon, even though you never took delivery of the car?

So... For those of you who upgraded from a P85 to a P85D, my major question is: IS IT WORTH THE $40,000 MORE TO DO SO? I am considering upgrading my 2014 P85, but I'd have to pay sales tax on the full value of the P85D since I live in CA. It would end up costing me about $40,000 for a car that is no doubt faster accelerating and has better seats but essentially looks the same. Trying to convince my wife that I should do it. :)

Dennis, I don't want to debate this any further because it's clear it's just a magnet for nasty posts back. My P85 was a lemon and was being replaced with a P85D. Not having seats is not grounds for being a lemon, especially since I never owned the P85D. Good luck to all of you with P85Ds. Hope they are great.
So let me understand. Did you have your 2012 Tesla "legally categorized as a lemon" and then you ordered a P85D? Or are you saying that because Tesla gave you the option of not accepting your P85D since it was not being delivered with the nextgen seats that you are calling that a legal lemon, even though you never took delivery of the car?

You're absolutely right! I learned that a bunch of other cars were waiting to be transported to the same service center as mine (Cincinnati), but am happy that my car finally made it on a transport yesterday (production complete 12/16) and is currently in Nevada.
God's speed!

Probably won't make it in time for Christmas, though. :-(
I was contacted by my DS again today (12/22). Looks like I made the rail system today (I was finished 12/17, paid 12/18). But due to Christmas and such, it does not look like I will make my deadline of 12/28 (as I am going out of country). So those that are waiting for Columbus, OH, you may be on a rail. Hopefully our cars are covered as we have heard about the rail rust, which can be all over your car from the kick-uo from the rails and train wheels. It not that the aluminum rusts (obviously) but its rust spots from debris from the rail system. Hard to get off. Since I will be out of country from 12/28-1/4, if my Model S (VIN 66083 P85D) makes Columbus, OH after I leave, my DS and TM was gracious to have it delivered to my home when I get back. I live in Cleveland (no Browns/Manziel jokes please). That will save me a 120 mile trip to Columbus (240 round trip) with a friend/fam to drive my current car back. So convenience-wise, it may be a wash. I'd love to get it this weekend, but if I can't TM made a sweet offer to deliver my MS to my home. 2 caveats, 1. I will not get a Tesla rep or walk thru, I'm on my own. Thank you to all for uploading videos. 2. I have to accept the car without seeing it prior to 1/1/15 to get the 7500 tax savings and if I accept delivery while Im away, then they will put my winter tires on, front plate, I also need a 3rd key. Anyway, I wanted to give you guys some information about my complex delivery, hope that it helps someone.

So.. highway range first impressions.... not impressed.

I drove a 40 mile stretch of highway normally with the cruise set at 78. 474Wh/mi. Was around 340 in my P85 last month.

Only one data point but not promising...

I'll try again on the return trip.

I agree it's worrisome, but speed is only one factor in determining range/consumption. What about temperature, wind and road conditions: were they roughly the same?

That's interesting, did they give you an estimated delivery date?
I heard that cars were being transported to Chicago by train, but didn't know they were also doing this for Ohio.
There is probably a critical shortage of trucks right now.
You are right electrish, I think they have a bunch of MS's onsite and only had rail as a choice on this holiday week.
Due to Christmas, there really can be no estimate. If it arrives Sat, then I can get it. If not, then plan B, delivered to my home
in Cleve in about a week or so. I do have to accept delivery prior to 1/1 for tax incentive and to get them to put the tires on, 3rd key
and mount front plate.