Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RTZ, This summer Tesla opened a second assembly line, but it has been slower to get sped up than desired. I'm told that two shifts are working at present. During the 3rd Quarter earnings report, Elon Musk identified the need to speed up production while maintaining quality as the biggest challenge before Tesla at this point. Rest assured that Tesla is working furiously to get as many cars completed this quarter as possible, AS LONG AS THE QUALITY IS STILL THERE. Earlier this summer the production line was turning out 800 cars per week, we've heard confirmation of 1,000 cars per week, and I'm hoping the factory is now up to 1200 cars per week. One of the lines is using innovative new approaches, and speeding up such new equipment takes serious tweaking. If you live close to California, take a factory tour and you'll get the picture.

The second assembly line, also called the "high speed line" is designed to build S and X. The old line was somewhat taken apart for equipment for the new line. That is one reason they cannot run the two lines together. This was told to me by someone working on setting up the new line. Some presentations say the old line can be used for prototypes and betas or whatever - however, I do not think the old line is possible to be used now. The new line is supposed to be able to do up to 400 per day at full capacity (3 shifts).

- As mentioned by an earlier poster, the Driver's Assistance Lane Departure Warning appears to me to be malfunctioning. I have driven 2 different P85Ds and when I tested it in both cars, I hear the motor make the three chimes, but the motor definitely isn't delivering the feedback where it needs to go.

The lane departure warning is ONLY the steering wheel feedback. It's...well...a warning of lane departure. The lane holding won't come until the autopilot software update.

My Model S 85 VIN 66077 went into production on 12/13 and on 12/18 my dashboard said production complete and ready for shipment. Dashboard reads delivery late December but I have an email that says 12/26 for delivery (but no specific appointment time). I got an email saying a document was posted to my dashboard and the document laid out all the cost elements including a breakdown of what is taxed in Florida. I made the complete payment by ACH from my checking account and my dashboard shows paid in full. I hope 12/26 is real.

How on earth did you get a P85D in brown? I have a brown P85 and wanted my P85D to be brown also. I even sendt Jerome a mail begging for a solution that would help me get me this. Sadly he answered this: Thank you for your message and your order for another Model S: we appreciate your continued support!

We have stopped taking 2015 orders for the brown color in early October. Additionally, we have asked all customers who had selected brown for a 2015 delivery to select another color. We are discontinuing the brown paint in our manufacturing system in a few days, so I am afraid we will not be able to accommodate your request. This is also a matter of fairness to all other customers.

Thank you again for your support and your understanding. Best regards,

Jerome Guillen I VP, WW sales and service

If you configured at the factory in early November they were allowing config with either Brown or Green at the time

Picked up my car yesterday at the Denver Service Center. Very smooth experience and amazing vehicle.. Really amazing.

Spent several hours last night testing the vehicle on various roads, doing launches, etc. Went out again this AM to "pick up breakfast for the family" (I can see many, many errands in my future, lol). Setting up homelink, Wifi, mobile app, etc all went without a hitch.

Current power usage average is 593 Wh/mi -- hahaha (yes I'm having fun w/ this vehicle)

My Model S 85 VIN 66077 went into production on 12/13 and on 12/18 my dashboard said production complete and ready for shipment. Dashboard reads delivery late December but I have an email that says 12/26 for delivery (but no specific appointment time). I got an email saying a document was posted to my dashboard and the document laid out all the cost elements including a breakdown of what is taxed in Florida. I made the complete payment by ACH from my checking account and my dashboard shows paid in full. I hope 12/26 is real.
I'm in a grey hole too. I finished on 12/17, paid 12/18, and got a date of 12/23 (on or about) on my final payment papers. My DS said I needed to catch a truck on 12/20 to get to OH by 12/27. I did not hear yet. I emailed with no response on Sat 12/20. So, I also do not have a scheduled time yet, nor did I hear if my car jumped on a transport. I am 66083 (just 6 behind you!), Silver P85D going to Columbus OH (then to Cleve via me). I will post when I get some more info.

I think I saw your car in the factory the other day in the factory during a factory. Only saw one brown car in all of the factory.
YESSS. Finally out of the hole!
View attachment 66599

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0785.JPG

When I was picking up the P85D, I saw Barry Bonds picking up his as well.

When he said the "motor isn't delivering the feedback" I'm pretty sure he meant the motor that should be vibrating the steering wheel.

Don't think so, since he mentioned the "three chimes". Lane departure doesn't chime at all--only speed assist does that (and only once, at that). But lane departure does vibrate three times, so it sounds like his is working correctly.

Don't think so, since he mentioned the "three chimes". Lane departure doesn't chime at all--only speed assist does that (and only once, at that). But lane departure does vibrate three times, so it sounds like his is working correctly.

When I first experienced the lane departure warning I thought there were rumble strips in the road, but it was the car itself. I did notice that if the white lines are far enough apart, and the sensor happens to cross lanes between them, it will not go off.

Sorry, rather OT here.

I'm getting my car delivered tomorrow, from the Mt. Kisco service center. My DS really came through for me.

It turns out I'm not getting my car today. It now looks like I should receive it on Wednesday.

At about 1:00 AM, looking at the picture my DS had sent again, I realized my car still had the cyclone wheels on it. I thought it probably wasn't a problem, and that the service center just hadn't switched the wheels to the winter wheel package yet (at the time the picture was taken), but to be safe I sent a quick e-mail.

At 9:00 this morning I tried to call my DS, and when I only reached his voicemail, I tried the other DS who has been helping me, and reached him. I didn't want to take a chance that the car just shipped off without confirming that the right wheels were on it. He said he'd take care of it.

He called me back about 90 minutes later to let me know there was, in fact, a problem. Apparently although my winter tires are available, the 19" wheels are not. He offered to send the car up with the wheels on it, and work out the other wheels later, but I have a steep driveway, and want my snows on the car, so that wasn't really an option. He said he would try to see if he could find some available wheels.

I just heard back, and it's not going to work out for today. I trust by Wednesday they will be able to find wheels for the snow tires and get them on my car.

It's definitely disappointing, but I guess these things happen.

Beautiful Commasign! Enjoy. Hoping for mine on the 27th as a birthday present

- - - Updated - - -

I sat in them both side by side, next gen and old version. Huge difference for me in comfort and support. I think the difference will be even more dramatic driving. I went to see not planning on wasting 3,500 and decided it was very important to me. I upgraded immediately

The lane departure warning is ONLY the steering wheel feedback. It's...well...a warning of lane departure. The lane holding won't come until the autopilot software update.

The lane departure warning does not work on my brand new P85D. No steering wheel vibration, no chime. Is it working on any other new P85D's?

I would be careful critiquing people if they don't want to pay 132,000+ for a vehicle that is not produced exactly as ordered. For that kind of money, certain things should be expected. I completely understand not taking delivery of the vehicle. Switching to ICE may question their belief in EV, but to each is own.

Thanks, Maddog. It's a matter of principle for me. They pulled this in 2012 and I had to call every month to find out where my missing items were. I think I finally received everything 6 months later. One of the issues we face here in Palo Alto is the concentration of Tesla cars makes service poor. The Palo Alto service center probably services 50X as many cars as any other location, and it is not 50X as big. I could be off on this number, but even if it's 5X or 10X, the service center is not 5X or 10X as large. As a result, Tesla loaners are no longer a reality (every service in the last year has come with a trip across the street to Enterprise rental car adding another 30 minutes to every service appointment). Their attitude then (and I believe now) is "the cars are in high demand, so we can get away with delivering them without the correct configurations, so let's stuff as many out as possible, and we'll clean up the mess in 2015." Very short-sighted and this hangover will last well into 2015.